POLL: If you were to move...

MikeC78
MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
From one state to another, which state would this be and why? Please specify which state you would move from.

Thanks,

Mike
Post edited by MikeC78 on

Comments

• pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited April 2007
    Tough if not impossible for me. I live in Alaska, and cant imagine ever living anywhere else. I guess if I had to move, it would probably be to Montana or Wyoming because they are the only states that can even approach having Alaskas wide-open spaces, though they obviously pale in comparison. I just hope I never have to leave Alaska!:D
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    Back to the Peach State for me...
    Born and raised a GA boy and always find myself looking to return from time to time. Something about so many transplants willing to get to know each other that rings right with me. Kind of like our very own Forum. Even moved back for a year just to see if you could really ever go home. Turns out the detractors are wrong and you really can...

Though Kentucky is beautiful in its own way. Just about every drive is scenic. And the city of Louisville is probably the pinnacle of the "small-big city concept". Where you can still talk to strangers on skyscrapers.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    I would move from New Jersey to...New Jersey.

I've been other places and the only option I think I would go for is Australia but since I have yet to go there and test it out, I can't say for sure. However, every time I go and spend some time some other place, I miss NJ. I'm not talking about a week or a few days, I'm talking about spending months some where else. My job has afforded me the opportunity to do so. Every time though, I can always find something that I miss about NJ.

I like NJ. It's not everybody's cup of tea and most everyone else thinks there is something wrong with NJ (i.e.: smell, mafia, so on...). I actually like it that way because it keeps people out of the NJ that I know. I'd rather have everyone else think NJ is the arm-pit of the world because if they ever knew the truth, they'd likely want to come and live here too. Then it'd REALLY be crowded!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2007
    I'd move almost anywhere from Texas. Alaska would be my first choice though...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2007
    One of the Hawaiian Islands to be sure, why? Very tropical, lush with beautiful landscape and beaches.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2007
    SC - Charleston, b/c it's a great all around city.

FL - Sanibel Island, beaches man! beaches!
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    I'd stay close to home. The mountains of SW Virgina, Western North and South Carolina or NE Georgia. I can visit all the other places....but this is home.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    Coastal GA - probably in the Golden Isles and preferably on Jekyll Island. Soooooo laid back and care free + ocean = a winner for me.

Washington St. - I loved Seattle and the trip out to the ocean was nice but, I don't think I could handle the weather - grey skies make me depressed.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited April 2007
    That's really a tough one. I've been in the Philly/South Jersey areas my whole life. I've visited a few places on vacation but never really thought about making a move. I know one thing for sure, until the in-laws depart there is no way in hell my wife would ever consider moving. Unless we took them with us. NAH!!!!LOL
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    Chicago. I just like it there.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2007
    definitely Honolulu...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited April 2007
    From Toledo Oh. to Las Vegas NV. As a musician I just loved it there. I don't gamble so it would be perfect!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    I would move to Monterey, California if I could just pack up and leave. It's northern California, so it's nice and cool there. Not too far away from the big cities, but still nestled right next to the crashing ocean surrounded by pristine woodlands.

Love it there. Then again, I love it here too and know I'll never leave. I'll save those great places for vacations.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    From central Ga. to Charleston SC, Savannah GA. or somewhere adjacant to the Smokies,,Tn.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2007
    I love Arizona, now sure, If I won a bagillion dollars in the lotto, maybe a posh condo on the vegas strip....:D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2007
    I moved from Washington to Arizona, and the only thing I miss is the fishing. So, I guess because of warmth and plenty of fishing opportunities, probably Florida, which was choice two when we ended up in Az.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2007
    I came to Arizona via the Army, I'm originally from STL. Been in Az for 15 years.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    East / Northeast. I want green, and tons of it. A beach within reach wouldn't be objectionable. I like it here in North Texas just fine, short of those 60-90 days of almost unbearable heat starting mid July or so.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited April 2007
    I love the atmosphere here in Arkansas, but the summer heat sucks! I'm not inclined to move anywhere other than back to Wisconsin. It's just like home, but 20 degrees cooler.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    I've been to most all the states and still it like here at The Mars Hotel. Mountains about 30-45 minutes in one direction, ocean's a few hours in the other and then there's the bay with it's beaches, fishing and the best sailing in the world. Yes sir, this truly is the land of pleasant living.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind the Dales of northern England or possibly the Black Forest in Germany.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited April 2007
    I'm in north Texas right now and I'd rather be back in Tulsa where I lived for 13 years prior to moving here. I grew up in Arkansas, went to college in Ft Collins, Co (CSU) and then to OK. I've been in TX since the summer of 2004. It's ok...but I'm not fond of it. lol. Taxes are ridiculous here for phones, etc. But, I do travel a lot for work and see lots of places. I just like Tulsa...not too big, not too small.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    I would get as far away from NJ as possible. When I drove a truck I got to see the entire country and for me it would be the south. Either the NC or SC or I would go west to Las Vegas.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    From Pittsburgh to Stanford, California. Great weather, nice college town (chicks, etc.) plus I could probably find work there. Close to wine country and the Northwest states of Oregon, etc. It's close to the big city (San Francisco). Interesting culture, lot's of stuff to do. Plus I love the Salmon and Alaskin King Crab legs. All the good seafood get's eatin in CA before it get's east. I couldn't afford the housing market, and the fruit and nut population, so I probably won't ever move there. Just a pipe dream.
    Carl

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    Well if I did move anywhere.. it would have to be the Oregon coast... it's extemely beautiful in the summer.. the Pacific ocean out your front door.. A big campfire with a nice bottle of wine, and a crabfest cooking away, breathing in the ocean breeze.. man, that is living I tell you.

I really like the Northwest. 4 distinct season's, plenty of fresh air, little humidity, big mountains, tons of lakes, ocean, and it's green here too. So all you ****'s stay away. :p

Have a nice day! :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I came to Arizona via the Army, I'm originally from STL. Been in Az for 15 years.

From STL, huh ? Where'd you go to high school ? :)
    Sal Palooza
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
    I'd want to live up in western Montana or in Oregon up in the mountains.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited April 2007
    From the armpit of the nation(Peoria) to Western Montana. But with computers nowadays my wife and kids would probably find me, so I guess I will just stay here and visit there.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I love PA but if I were to change I would go to Florida. I love the weather. I'm sick of the winter months here.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2007
    Can't say for sure. I reside in Marietta, Georgia....but I work all over the US. I've worked in and traveled thru every State and seen more than most will on TV. I tend to wander off the beaten path as often as I can to see what is missed traveling the Interstates and Freeways. Certain areas are more beautiful during different times of the year. I grew up in Florida, from the panhandle to the keys. This will always be a fave of mine. But, I always find something, somewhere that intrigues me and makes me want to settle there. At this writing I could honestly say that a small, unknown by most, township of Fairhope, AL. would be my first choice. Small enough where everybody knows their neighbors. Quaint and settled, secure and peaceful, clean and respected by those who live there. Stars are visible at night, the beach (not crowded) is close. You can leave your kids downtown at night and they are safe and someone will make sure they get home. Major shopping is only a short drive (1/2 - 1 hour away). This is only my opinion and please do not move there and ruin it...LOL.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    I've been spending chunks of my summers in Jackson Hole, Wyoming since 1965 and just love that place more than words can convey. So I'd go there, but then would need a place for the worst part of winter in Hawaii for my cold challenged wife.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger