SDA 2(B?) Baltimore Craigslist

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
$250 obo. Not too bad of a price, they look to be in good shape and have the interconnect.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/312825624.html
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Total steal at that price. Wish I wasn't sending Uncle Sam so much $$$ tomorrow or i'd pick them up.

John
    No excuses!
  • strider
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Total steal at that price. Wish I wasn't sending Uncle Sam so much $$$ tomorrow or i'd pick them up.

John

It's taking every fiber in my being to not contact this guy. Envisioning an SDA based 2 channel/HT set up....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    It's taking every fiber in my being to not contact this guy. Envisioning an SDA based 2 channel/HT set up....

You're stronger than me! 2 minutes after my initial post, I emailed the seller asking about them. LOL!

It's a sickness man!

John
    No excuses!
  • strider
    edited April 2007
    You're stronger than me! 2 minutes after my initial post, I emailed the seller asking about them. LOL!

It's a sickness man!

John

Awesome. I'm glad you did, I kept checking out the ad and was close to shooting off an e-mail. If I had bought them I'd be the first person in history to get divorced before I even get hitched!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    Ben,

Buy them and I will "store" them for you.:D

Scott

I emailed the guy. If they are still available in the next day or 2 and I get a check for the work I have been doing I might just pick them up for a rainy day.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • strider
    edited April 2007
    Hey John-

Scott and I are trying to figure out which SDA's we think they are without seeing them naked. What are your thoughts? Did you pick 'em up?

ElrO6ng1css1b4P9b2Dl8piOOVp4.jpg

Anyone else care to venture a guess?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited April 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Hey John-

Scott and I are trying to figure out which SDA's we think they are without seeing them naked. What are your thoughts? Did you pick 'em up?

ElrO6ng1css1b4P9b2Dl8piOOVp4.jpg

Anyone else care to venture a guess?

SDA 2b's

JT
  • jtgranby
    edited April 2007

It's a sickness man!

John

John if you don't want them let me know I will buy them in a heartbeat.

JT
  • jtgranby
    edited April 2007
    Ben,

Buy them and I will "store" them for you.:D

Scott

I emailed the guy. If they are still available in the next day or 2 and I get a check for the work I have been doing I might just pick them up for a rainy day.

Sorry Scott

Just read your post go get them.

JT
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2007
    Pick them up for a "bright" day:) These are among the most musical of all the SDA's. I have a pair and I also have a pair of 2.3's. You can do no wrong with the 2B's for that price. Go get them, eff uncle Sam:eek:
    Carl

• Strong Bad
    edited April 2007
    Guys, they're all yours. Let me know if you need any assistance in getting them. I have an SUV. The guy emailed me back and said he is located on Nothern Parkway (on the north end of that). Thats about 20 minutes from me.

They are the SDA 2B's, the last of that model. Grab them and enjoy!

John
    No excuses!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    I told the guy I will contact him today. I have a truck so I am good that way. Thanks Strong Bad. I need these like I need a hole in the head but you can't go wrong when they are located less than 10 minutes from my house. I also am lined up for a pair of RTA 11T's. So I may have a bunch of shuffling and decisions to make. Mark told me in order to find out what you like you got to move gear to get gear.

I have never even heard SDA's before so any thing that I should be looking/listening for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2007
    Excellant! Let us know how ya make out. One weekend if ya want to put some power into them, my Dodd ELP tube pre and Carver m1.5t are just sitting in storage for now. It's always nice to break them out for a listen. Not sure what kind of rig you have right now.

As you said, move gear around and try different things.

Rock on!

John
    No excuses!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    John thanks for the offer, sounds good. All of us Baltimore guys should get together one day. Check my sig at the top of the thread. My gear is listed.

Scott
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    SDA 2B's in the house. They just need the side panels reattached.

My wife can read me like a book. While I was at it I also told her I bought a pair of RTA 11t's. All's good.

Turns out the guy lived a few doors down from my best friend.

Ben and John thanks for help and info on these.

Now what?
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited April 2007
    John thanks for the offer, sounds good. All of us Baltimore guys should get together one day.
    That would be interesting. Then I could hear what all you people talking about when it comes to "real" sound.
    Check my sig at the top of the thread. My gear is listed.
    Scott

My gear isn't listed. Compared to "you guys", it's like I have an old transistor radio and you guys have a new symphony hall...

Have you visited the Polk office yet? Are regular customers allowed to visit?
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    I have been to Polk Audio's offices but it was back in '94. Great CS.

I believe Mark(Dorokusai) goes to the office occasionally.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    A few pictures with the interconnect and speaker wire that was part of the deal.
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2007
    Good job Scott! With a little TLC, they'll be primed for some serious listening.

YES, we Baltimorons should get together for a little audio fun. Maybe we bribe the Polk Folk for a little mini-visit to HQ's.

John
    No excuses!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    MLS - You have officially crossed the line. I will light a candle for your soul :D

Sansui - I would not suggest showing up at HQ without prior consent and/or coordination with Polk Audio. It's not open to the general public.

I have a BBQ planned this Summer for you local yokels. The details are TBD.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    What? There's a line?:D
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2007
    A few pictures with the interconnect and speaker wire that was part of the deal.

Those are beautiful. Enjoy.
  • strider
    edited April 2007
    Sweet! Definitely worth the price, extra speaker cable's always a plus. They are real pretty, good thing the seller couldn't take pictures worth a crap. I may have picked them up for myself!:eek:
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    congrats,, sweet :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited April 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    MLS - You have officially crossed the line. I will light a candle for your soul :D

Sansui - I would not suggest showing up at HQ without prior consent and/or coordination with Polk Audio. It's not open to the general public.

I have a BBQ planned this Summer for you local yokels. The details are TBD.
    Thanks for the info! (What's TBD?)
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    To Be Determined.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jtgranby
    edited April 2007
    SDA 2B's in the house. They just need the side panels reattached.

My wife can read me like a book. While I was at it I also told her I bought a pair of RTA 11t's. All's good.

Turns out the guy lived a few doors down from my best friend.

Ben and John thanks for help and info on these.

Now what?

MLS

Have you got these up and running yet? How do they sound??

JT
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Up and running. I have myRTi10's in time out right now. I have them running off my HT set up which does not do them justice. I am very very pleased with the sound quality of these speakers. I do not think my room is very good for the SDA effect but I am certainly getting a huge sound stage. I am getting instruments nearly to 90 degrees of my listening position. Bass is very good with the speakers. The tweeter is a little brash, certainly not helped by my cheapo Sony DVD player and SS amp. I would love to hear these on some tubes.

I believe I have a set of RTA 11T's to pick up and it will be interesting how they sound in my room compared to the SDA's.

I bought these speakers from the original owner who I believe never turned a screw on any driver, and other than the side panels are in mint condition. I think once the RTA's make it here I will start on the side panels and maybe order some RDO's.

I am still amazed that these 20+ year old speakers sound so good. They just beg you to spend time with them. I have not listened to a properly powered LSi speakers but it would take a lot to convince me that they sound better than SDA's.

My gut tells me that the RTA's will end up in the home theater set up and the SDA's will be the 2 channel speakers. I will have to get a stereo tube amp though. My mono blocks will not work with/or do these SDA's justice. I have read that the ASL mono blocks sound real nice with the RTA 11t's. Looks like I will be having a little speaker shoot out here. Looking forward to it.

I can't wait for my my brother to hear these speakers because he thinks I am nuts for buying old Polk Audio speakers. I think he may change his mind after this weekend.

MLS
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2007
    The new RDO is the best investment with any SL2000 using loudspeaker.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    I love them in my 5's as you know. I am 16 screws and 4 connections away. Just have not brought myself to do it yet.