LED done burnt out

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited May 2007 in Troubleshooting
A blue LED went out on my ASL monoblock.

1. I opened it up and it does not look like it affects anything else?

2. Where could I get a replacement LED?

Thanks,

Scott
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2007
    Options
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=070-013

Not sure about the voltage; you can shoot an email to divertech customer service and they will know and maybe have them (I am assuming the amp works??)

It could also be a bad connection to the led...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I had the power led on my Spectral stop firing. When I spoke to the engineer at Spectral he said to leave it be unless the thing not lighting is driving me nuts. It isn't so I'm just letting it be.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I couldn't live knowing there's a burnt blue led ;)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks HTrookie,

I guess I will open it up again and try to fix it. It has always looked different than the other one.

Another question. There did not seem to be anything holding it in place. Did you find the same when you opened your up?

Is there a safe way to open it up and power it up to see if the led is working rather than trying something and putting it all back together again?

I took the tubes out and took the bottom cover off.

The LED is powered off of the blue and green wires with the shrink wrap going toward the front plate, of course.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Scott,

I would not recommend you power it up if open, unless you really know what you are doing....lots of volts in there (as in FATAL)

Mine were in place with some kind of glue.

SOPA
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    That is exactly why I asked. Fatal is bad. Burnt out LED not so bad.

I will email Divertech.

Thanks

Scott
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Options
    That is exactly why I asked. Fatal is bad. Burnt out LED not so bad.

I will email Divertech.

Thanks

Scott

Watch out for the costs, Spectral charges $120 just to have the unit come through the front door.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    edited April 2007
    Options
    If you can find out the voltage and ampheres and possibly the degree of light refraction of the LED, it should not be a hard repair at all. [if you have a soldering iron]

Can you get ahold of a parts list or service schematic?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I have the schematic that was provided in the manual. I can read blue prints like a champ but I am not up to speed on the electrical values and all the associated factors of electrical schematics.

It actually looks like an easy fix if I know what the right LED is to match the other one in my other monoblock.

Scott
  • treitz3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Look on the lower left hand side of the schematics. Do you see a log, or legend that lists about 5- 20 parts?

One thing you could do, is grab a DVM and measure the voltage of the working LED. Then, if you know what you are doing, you could get the ampheres of the same working LED and then you will have the info. that you want to make the repair.

If you are unsure of the light refraction degree of the LED matching the working LED, then just order two of the same degree LED's and install.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Yes,

I have the parts list and the part is 100UF/16V from best that I can tell.

Scott
  • treitz3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Yes,

I have the parts list and the part is 100UF/16V from best that I can tell.

Scott

That's a capacitor, not an LED.
  • treitz3
    edited April 2007
    Options
    You will be looking for something in between usually around 4.5v to maybe 12 volts. Very low ampheres. It usually does not list the degree of light refraction, unless the engineer was very anal, which is almost never the case.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    OK,

Thanks for all your help. I will look again on Parts Express and I will open it the amp up again to get a better look.

Scott
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Here in my area in brooklyn they have some tv repair shops that fix amps cheap, I had a unit serviced and it cost me $15.00 ,
    So look around you might find it cost less to have the led replaced the right way without breaking the bank...
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Just got an e-mail from Tash at Divertech and he is going to send me a new blue LED assembly.

Another great example of above and beyond customer service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Just got an e-mail from Tash at Divertech and he is going to send me a new blue LED assembly.

Another great example of above and beyond customer service.

Right ON!!! Great stuff!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I still have not seen a replacement LED yet and my other mono blocks LED followed suit tonight.

At least they look the same tonight. It bothered me that one was lit and the other one was out. Problem temporarily solved.