New Hummer Install Recommendations..?

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay..here I am venturing over to the other side of the tracks .:p

I just got my new H3 and the Monsoon (whatever) system it comes with BLOWS. Soooooo not knowing zilch about car audio I was wondering if any of you educated blokes might throw some suggestions at me.

I want it to be a clean installation to where when I turn in the car I can replace the original equipment and use the nice stuff in my next ride. I also don't want any damage or holes in my car. I am thinking of maybe a total buget of 1k. Is this reasonable?

As far as listening habits, I just want loud,clean and clear and definitely not bright. Bright is evil to my ears. Good bass is important but I want accurate, musical bass - not shake the car bass. Thanks for any help.
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    And you said you wouldn't be seen over here...

LOL :D

Other then that Crutchfield make some nice adapters for changing head units out, I would check there first. If nothing else just for some ideas.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    I would try and stick with the factory head unit and replace the speakers with an additional amplifier. How much room are you wanting to sacrifice for a subwoofer enclosure?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    LOL! I dont want to say I told you so.......ah who am I kidding - I told you that youd be over here in no time! :D:p

I did some looking around on various websites but cant find any information on what youve got from the factory.

Im also not sure what all is involved in getting around that Monsoon system. Cody may be able to shed some light on this a little when he checks in.

I recommend you find a good local stereo shop and go talk to them. Theyll be able to give you a much better idea of what you can go with.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Ecin
    Ecin Posts: 61
    edited April 2007
    signature reference... mbquart qsf216 qsd216's you can get cheap..the higher end focals... matching subs or W7s and just these speakers alone can run you 1k exceptthe qsd's but you get quality... i'm only bringing it up because you have a luxury car. you'll look like all the otherfools with cheap systems on good cars..
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I would try and stick with the factory head unit and replace the speakers with an additional amplifier. How much room are you wanting to sacrifice for a subwoofer enclosure?
    -Cody

As long as it's not fixed to the floor or anything it can be a good size . Not too big though that it would get in the way too much of putting stuff in the back.

I was also looking at the double sized DVD head units. I would like to have something I can play my Ipod through as well. I think I am only going to get front speakers and not rear unless a case can be made against that so that helps the budget.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    Ecin wrote: »
    signature reference... mbquart qsf216 qsd216's you can get cheap..the higher end focals... matching subs or W7s and just these speakers alone can run you 1k exceptthe qsd's but you get quality... i'm only bringing it up because you have a luxury car. you'll look like all the otherfools with cheap systems on good cars..

I had the MB Quarts before in another car that were picked out by someone else and they were way too bright. I hated them.The titanium tweeters maybe?

My budget can be adjusted a little also.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    What about Diamond Audio for speaks? The only model I have heard is the D9, and those are stupid expensive, but I think the D6 can be had for a decent price.....I have a D6 sub and love it.....I had to neuter it down a little though...The Jetta trunk was a shaker...I will try to find a couple of links for you...
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Titanium tweeters have a tendency to do that.

Do you have onstar, factory install XM, steering wheel controls?

I ask because you say youre wanting a double din DVD system integrated, if you have all of those things, it can get expensive but there is a separate module for each one. Also, just the radio harness for that truck runs about $100. Youre typical double din DVD system thats worth a crap will run about a grand in itself. A lot of them have navigation now(hard to find a double din without navi now, not impossible though) so that might be an option if you like to travel. There are no monthly fees or anything like that, the only thing is every couple years they come out with new discs and they cost around $250.

I dont think you should spend any more on rear speakers either, I dont run rear speakers in my truck but I just listen to 2-channel audio, so additional speakers would actually, and im sure you know, hurt the sound quality. But since you are looking for a DVD system and the fact that a hummer is quite big and meant for carrying passengers, I wouldnt suggest axing them completely like I can in my extended cab truck.

I would recommend the mm6500 series components and the pre-made 2-12" DB series box. It will give you a nice, clean look and great overall sound. For an amp, Id recommend a big 4-channel amp, cardomain has the RF T8004 on sale right now too:D
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCT8004
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLMMC6500
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-Dual-db124-12-Subwoofers-with-Enclosure-DB212/sem/rpsm/oid/123652/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    -Cody
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    This is my head unit....I love this thing. By the way, the monsoon systems have a factory amp that needs to be bypassed....There is sometimes a adapter harness that can do this, but otherwise it is going to be about $20-$30 extra on top of the installation charge.....lets see if I can find the diamond page now....
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_291159496,00.html
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Here's Diamond's website....It was painfully simple..
    http://www.diamondaudio.com/
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    I would say go with coaxials unless the H3 has an OEM tweeter mounted somewhere. Coaxials would allow for a simple drop in installation that would very easy to swap back out when its time to turn in the H3.

The DB box is pretty big and will eat up a lot of space.

Something like this MTX will be smaller, half the price and still sound very good.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Titanium tweeters have a tendency to do that.

Do you have onstar, factory install XM, steering wheel controls?

I would recommend the mm6500 series components and the pre-made 2-12" DB series box. It will give you a nice, clean look and great overall sound. For an amp, Id recommend a big 4-channel amp, cardomain has the RF T8004 on sale right now too:D
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCT8004
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLMMC6500
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-Dual-db124-12-Subwoofers-with-Enclosure-DB212/sem/rpsm/oid/123652/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    -Cody
    Yes. I have Onstar, Satellite phone and stuff but no steering controls.

Are those the same as the Signature 6500s? I have been reading about those with some interest here.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I would say go with coaxials unless the H3 has an OEM tweeter mounted somewhere. Coaxials would allow for a simple drop in installation that would very easy to swap back out when its time to turn in the H3.

The DB box is pretty big and will eat up a lot of space.

Something like this MTX will be smaller, half the price and still sound very good.
    The Hummer has tweeters apart from the speaker (component?). The tweeters are by the dash on either side.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, that is component. That is good, it will be easier to get the sound you are looking for....
  • exalted512
    edited April 2007
    Yea, if your hummer is the same as the ones I've worked on, theres factory tweeters in the a-pillars.

With on-star, youre going to need another module if you want to replace your factory radio. Youre looking in about $200 in just parts, not including labor, not including the radio itself...why I suggested keeping the factory unless you'd really just like to have a screen up there, which is totally understandable, just understand that theres a lot of stuff that adds up.

Those are not the signature reference series, thats the MOMO series. The SRs run about $750 for the set.
    -Cody
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited April 2007
    You said that you hated speakers that were bright.....Check these out, they have a silk tweeter.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components_pages.php?page_id=33
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    A lot of good info so far. The tweeters are in the pillars...It sounds like a real job to me.

Will the factory head unit still sound good though? I am concerned that I will get nice speakers and an amp and then that will be a total weak link.

A cop buddy of mine does competitions and he referred me to a shop where he has a hook uo so I am hoping that will help me out a bit with the labor budget if I buy there. They have the Diamond speakers but not Polk I don't think. He also recommended JBL...?Not sure what else they have.

Is any one familiar with the Bazooka subs?My first impression is crap. Yes or no?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• exalted512
    edited April 2007
    You can still get good sound through an OEM radio. JBL makes terrific amps, I'm not too fond of their speakers aside from their entry level sub line-up.

Diamond makes good stuff. I had a set of their components for a while. While they lacked in mid-bass, they were still excellent speakers.

Stay far far away from Bazooka.
    -Cody
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    So has anyone heard the Polk SR 6500's? Good reviews on the Diamond stuff. Jl Audio looks nice too. I am narrowing it down to find a dealer where I can audition them.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2007
    The SR 6500's sound outstanding. You would love 'em. I heard them at Polk HQ, both in an install and on the board. GOOD STUFF...
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited April 2007
    I like Diamond Audio speakers and Kenwood Excelon head units. Amp and subs, there are too many options I will let the group give advice on these.
    Don't scrimp on rca's.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    I usually think that JL's stuff is over priced. The one exception I think are the stealthboxes they sell. Good subs inside, with a very nice enclosure that usually blends in very well with the vehicle. If I had an SUV I would try to use one of JL's stealth boxes. I have a couple of friends who did this. Their sub systems are totally hidden away, and provide ample low end. The only possible problem I see with the one for your vehicle is that they are using the 10w1.......will probably not get very loud (should still provide decent low end), but if that is not what you are after it may be work for you.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1554
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    amulford wrote: »
    The SR 6500's sound outstanding. You would love 'em. I heard them at Polk HQ, both in an install and on the board. GOOD STUFF...

The only prolem is the budget with these though.....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    Allrighty.. I am going to go today and audition the SR 6500s . I am thinking of looking at the Polk amps as well. I am confident that the speakers will be nice since they are comparing them to LSIs which I have owned before, but what about their amps? They ain't cheap and it looks like my budget is doubling here.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Just for info Diamond Audio on *bay prices are good.
    engtaz

• wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    Just for info Diamond Audio on *bay prices are good.

I am gonna listen to those today too. 2 different stores though. The Polks are at Tweeter so not much room for haggle and not sure about their installs.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• engtaz
    edited April 2007
    Take your music with you and if you have a broad range of music you like demo all.
    engtaz

• wingnut4772
    edited April 2007
    Ok. Here's what I got. I was a little limited with choices from the Pro shop but they gave me great discounts - better than web prices I see. I went to Tweeter (Sound Advice) and got the Polk SR 6500 for the fronts and I did pick up a set of M6500s for the rear as well. Then I schelepped down to the Pro Shop and got :

-Kenwood DDX6019 head unit

-Alpine PDX -4/150 Amp

Plus a 12"Alpine S series Sub with box and another Alpine amp Alpine MRP M450 for the sub. (remember I just wanted to fill out the music).

They did not have some of the other brands you guys mentioned but the prices were right.

I am also getting the ipod and bluetooth hook up for the Kenwood. The only thing I am not so sure about are the Momos for the rear and how they will do with the Sr6500 and the Alpine amp but I guess I will see soon enough. I am waiting to go pick it up.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited April 2007
    I have the SR6500's in my Altima running off of a C400.4 (bi-amped). I'm very happy with them. Although you can really tell when you get a bad recording or bad compression on songs. It stands out, but the good stuff stands out as well.

Howie
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    Looks like you made solid choices with your gear selection.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin