Anybody try using spectrum analyzer software?

Jack from Indo
Jack from Indo Posts: 109
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody ever try using spectrum analyzer software? Such as that from http://www.testaudio.com/testaudio/article_spectrum_analyzer_bar_display_fft_software.asp

Supposedly, as long as you can get a flat response microphone to plug into your computers sound card, you just fire up the software, play the test tones, or white or pink noise, and you get a cheap way to analyze your systems response for flatness (or not)
Post edited by Jack from Indo on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    Yep, its a great way to help calibrate your system with an ubiased electronic ear. They're good for verifying your best crossover point, etc.
  • ravaneli
    ravaneli Posts: 530
    edited April 2007
    I don't want to pay for software. Anyone want to share? I bet you can find it somewhere for free..
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs. :wink:
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.
  • ravaneli
    edited April 2007
    if you disagree with that then would someone like to cobuy this with me? One ca buy it and copy the CD (no problem) and the other guy can chip in with 50% of $
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs. :wink:
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    Pretty smart there..... :rolleyes:
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2007
    OK, I don't think there would be that big of an issue if you had said you couldn't afford the software. However, you blatantly said that you did not want to pay for the software. That is supposed to some how make it OK for me or anyone else here to go and spend my hard earned money on the software just so you can copy it and benefit from my financial expenditure?

Get bent dude. You get the "Dunce of the Year" award. We're barely out of the 1st fiscal quarter and you're already shooting for the stars. Way to go! Keep up the good work!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ravaneli
    edited April 2007
    No No No No...

I want to split the cost with someone and make a copy and we both have it for half the price. Anyone interested?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2007
    I guess we should just ignore this post then?
    ravaneli wrote: »
    I don't want to pay for software. Anyone want to share? I bet you can find it somewhere for free..

This speaks volumes about your character and probably makes almost anyone here a bit uneasy in enetering into such an arrangement.

Besides that, what you are now suggesting is no better than stealing the software because it is likely in violation of licensing agreement.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2007
    He already gave me a little insight into his character in another thread....this just backs up my assumption.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ravaneli
    edited April 2007
    what kind of a place is this?? Moral police? Who are you to judge my character? Why do you have to leave the area of your expertise and make evaluations of my character?

If someone wants to share this let me know.

To Jstas and Blackmax; if you think you are expert in licensing agreements and are familiar with this particular one (I will bet ya they didn;t patent this because it's very simple and there are many others on the street already) then just tell me it's illegal to do this but stay away from moral teachings
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    ravaneli wrote: »
    what kind of a place is this?? Moral police? Who are you to judge my character? Why do you have to leave the area of your expertise and make evaluations of my character?

If someone wants to share this let me know.

To Jstas and Blackmax; if you think you are expert in licensing agreements and are familiar with this particular one (I will bet ya they didn;t patent this because it's very simple and there are many others on the street already) then just tell me it's illegal to do this but stay away from moral teachings

Its illegal, has nothing to do with patents, its a copyright issue. One might conclude that those willing to participate in criminal activities may not have the best morals. ....and don't ride your skateboard on the sidewalk!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    I know how he feels.

I get tired of having to pay for sex all the time.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jack from Indo
    edited April 2007
    Ravaneli: Try out this web site for all kinds of free (and paid) sound shareware. Amazingly long list of stuff:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/SPECTRUM_ANALYZERS/
  • Jack from Indo
    edited April 2007
    McLeod: Buy one of these. One time purchase! http://www.realdoll.com/ :D
  • ravaneli
    edited April 2007
    Ravaneli: Try out this web site for all kinds of free (and paid) sound shareware. Amazingly long list of stuff:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/SPECTRUM_ANALYZERS/

Wow! Great stuff! Has anyone used any of these? Can I get any recommendations. I have audio problems right now and this may help me more precisely determine the problem..
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    McLeod: Buy one of these. One time purchase! http://www.realdoll.com/ :D

You kidding?! Im a Preferred Platinum Customer with them! If you like I can get you a good discount.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I know how he feels.

I get tired of having to pay for sex all the time.

being married sucks huh?;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    -Cody

"The difference between free love and paid love? Paid love is cheaper." - unknown quote
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2007
    Of course we are the moral police... we're also the amoral police, corrupt police, drunken stupid police, and moderately sexy police.

In short, we are who we are, but we're generally honest people. We may be asshats now and then, but we're generally decent guys (and girls, if we had any girls in here).

We hate kids who rip out decks and sell them on the street corner, we despise car thiefs, and we kill those who lay a finger on our goods. An extention of this is a natural respect for property.

That being said, we've likely all been guilty of splitting hte cost of software, or bumming software off a buddy (but that usually always entails us offering the buddy some software of our own in exchange -- a trade amongst friends).

You however, haven't even popped your forum che**y yet, and you're trying to wiggle yourself some free stuff.

That's shady.

Besides, you seem like you've got rocks in your head anyway.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    -Cody

Tell me about it! Youd think she'd cut me a discount every now and then.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    I'm almost there....hell, i just spent 400+ on a bike for her...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it