Imus -- Miss Or Diss

Polk65
Polk65 Posts: 1,405
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
An old radio veteran with a large heart pretty much lost his livelihood yesterday.
Post edited by Polk65 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    I don't particularly care for his show but I think him getting canned is a crock of ****.

I also think that Al (Tawana Brawely)Sharpton and Jesse (Himeytown) Jackson need to STFU.

What Imus said was wrong and stupid and he should apologize (which he has) should never have said it on the air however I think this is much ado about nothing. Not to mention, Imus does a LOT of good things for kids at his ranch.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    I agree TroyD
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2007
    I voted no....because I never heard of Imus until this week.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    ^^^^ me too^^^^
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    I agree with Troy. While what he said was wrong he apologized and we should move on.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    "Charge my head, not my heart” - Jesse Jackson

Below is a quote from Tom Delay (Whether you like him or not, he brings an interesting point of the double standard)

"And let's not forget about the Dynamic Duo calling for Imus' resignation. They have their own past offenses, like the anti-Semitic slur used by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, when he referred to New York City as “Hymietown” in a conversation with reporters. His apology? Asking that we charge his head, not his heart. And the most eloquent Rev. Al Sharpton, who was convicted (read: FOUND GUILTY) of libel when he very publicly accused a white assistant district attorney of raping a young black girl, which never happened. They don't apologize…they run for president of the United States."

This whole thing disgusts me. The two biggest racists in America today are the two self proclaimed Rev’s….. Al & Jesse.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    I am not a fan of Jackson or Sharpton. To me, they seam a lot like Pharisees (blowing their own horns)

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    Imus is got canned because his remark caused MSNBC to lose major sponsorships.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    From Boortz:
    Would you like to spend a few moments comparing the effect of Mangum's charges on the Duke lacrosse team and Imus' words on the Rutgers woman's basketball team? Sure! Why not! Now, let's see ...... The remainder of the Duke lacrosse season was cancelled. They were nationally ranked, and had to forfeit the rest of their games. The coach, Mike Pressler, resigned. "Mug shots" of the lacrosse players were posted on campus. Mark Anthony Neal, an African Studies professor on the campus said that this was "a case of racialized sexual violence." A Durham, N.C. resident called it "racial terrorism." In the middle of all of this we had a district attorney, Michael Nifong, who was running for reelection in a majority-black jurisdiction. There were suggestions that he wanted to be the mayor one day.

Jesse Jackson had plenty to say about this case also. In his column on Blacknews.com Jackson said "Predictably, the right-wing media machine has kicked in, prompting mean-spirited attacks upon the accuser's character." Later he offered to pay Mangum's tuition for a college education if her story proved true. Later he amended his promise. In January he said that the Rainbow/Push Coalition would pay her college tuition even if it turns out she completely fabricated her story! Now isn't that special? Hey sisters! How would you like to get a college scholarship from Jesse Jackson? Apparently all you have to do is lodge a false rape accusation against an all-white college sports team!

Get out your checkbook, Jesse. Now we have learned that it was a hoax. No truth. The North Carolina Attorney General's office has declared the accused players to be innocent. A State Bar investigation of Nifong continues. And thus far Jesse Jackson has not come forward to offer any comfort to the lacrosse players falsely accused by Ms. Mangum.

Now ... why even bring all of this up? Well, we have two college teams in the mix. A Rutgers women's basketball team that is largely black, and a Duke men's lacrosse team that is almost (save for one player) exclusively white. A white man made insulted the Rutgers team with a mean-spirited quip. No season cancelled. No coach fired. No arrests. Nobody on the basketball team had to spend tens of thousands of dollars on defense attorneys. They were insulted. The were the targets of a stupid racially charged remark ... but that's pretty much it. But how about Duke? The Duke team members were accused of a crime. Attorneys were hired. Coaches fired. Seasons cancelled. Reputations damaged. DNA swabs were taken. Charges were filed. The district attorney was out there saying that a rape most definitely had occurred. Now we find that they were completely innocent. In the meantime the white man who made the stupid remark about the Rutgers basketball team is being attacked and vilified as if he was a mass murderer. The black woman who made the false charges of rape against the lacrosse team is going to walk. In fact, you can fully expect the civil rights establishment --- the same civil rights establishment that is united in their efforts to destroy Don Imus -- circle the wagons around Crystal Gail Mangum and protect her at all costs.

I have to kinda agree, there is a double standard. In the two cases listed above and the racial slurs JJ and AS have thrown around on mor than one occasion. A whole lot of noise for nothing of importance in my book. I had hardly heard of Imus so I don't really care.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Imus is got canned because his remark caused MSNBC to lose major sponsorships.

THat's bull. They would have never lost sponsorships if it weren't for the contrived media circus around this whole thing. People say more offensive things on the radio every day, and they're perfectly within their rights to do so. There wasn't an iota of maliciousness in Imus's voice. He made an off-color joke, and Sharpton and Jackson decided to **** themselves again for their fake cause, just to get their publicity. If they hadn't thrown themselves into the ring, or if someone had an OUNCE of testicular fortitude and said "are you kidding me? It was an off-color JOKE, Chris Rock has things 50x worse on network TV every day", then this would have blown over without anything happening. The sponsors were forced to drop their sponsorship by contrived white guilt, and it's a load of crap.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    ++++++++++++++1
    Tell it on the mountain Bobman!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2007
    I wont miss him, never listened to him, but he should not have been fired.

best way to handle the Al and Jesse camp? simple, next time something like this happens, dont apologize to them. know who made them the emperors of the black community? White people did. We say something wrong and we apologize and suck up to them. the Black community sees this as a show of power from Al and Jesse and garner respect.

next time someone says something offensive, DONT APOLOGIZE. I know its sad when we live in a world where an apology apparently means nothing. The more heartfelt and genuine Imus's apology was, the more he doomed himself. How did Howard STern and O&A never get nailed like this (from the Black Community) is simple, they NEVER apologized to Al and Jesse. Keep em out of the loop
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    I also think it's funny that Whoopi Goldberg made a big stink out of this as well..

Her production company is called one Ho productions..

you seriously can't make this stuff up..the double standards in this country is laughable
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Here is my thing about MSNBC......

Had they shitcanned Imus the day (or even the day after) it happened, sure, ok, I'll go along with it.

However, to float a 2 week suspension then hold a finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing and with what velocity? That's a total sham.

Besides, I thought after the whole Dixie Chicks thing.....I thought that everyone had a right to be heard, regardless of point of view?

Lastly, Matt Lauer said to Imus something to the effect that even if you didn't make the comment (referencing one of Imus's guys calling Gwen Iffel an cleaning woman) it's your show, your responsibility. Well, I'm waiting for the axe to fall on Katie (I remember my first library card) Couric. However, if a network anchor gets axed and nobody is watching is she still annoying?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Well, I'm waiting for the axe to fall on Katie (I remember my first library card) Couric.

Lucky for her, she doesn't even write any of her own column. :o
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    I agree with that "Nappy Haired Ho" BDT! ;)

This thing stinks terribly! Imus got shafted bigtime by the two biggest living racists....Sharpton and Jackson.

Imus will, however, probably get a contract with XM in the near future and be more popular than ever! He'll get on free speech satellite radio and wage war against those scumbags!

Howard Stern said it best....

"Imus acted like a rookie disc jockey and caved in immediately. He should have said F*** off to everyone and that it was just a joke, then left it at that!"

Nappy Hair John
    No excuses!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    I don't particularly care for his show but I think him getting canned is a crock of ****.

I also think that Al (Tawana Brawely)Sharpton and Jesse (Himeytown) Jackson need to STFU.

What Imus said was wrong and stupid and he should apologize (which he has) should never have said it on the air however I think this is much ado about nothing. Not to mention, Imus does a LOT of good things for kids at his ranch.

BDT

I've heard Imus in the past and not a fan of shock-jock type of stuff. I don't care for any of them (especially Stern). I was aware of his kid's ranch and that he does some good there.

What he said was stupid...but not the end of civilization as some would have us to believe. He should have apologized. BUT to watch him grovel and opine about how he will change and generally act like a whipped puppy....well it made me sick. If it were me...I would have apologized, said I was stupid...then told the rest of the world to KISS MY ****. Fire me...Can me...but I would NEVER act the way he has acted. I always own up to my mistakes...but I will never be anyone's whipping boy...EVER! It's time for him to go do something else...and like Troy said...time for the rest to get over it and STFU!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2007
    Political Correctness is going to kill this country and it is just the beginning. All we have is cowardly men hiding in fear from Lawyers and media. I was not alive in the 50's but it sure sounded like a better place than now.
    V
  • Early B.
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    THat's bull. They would have never lost sponsorships if it weren't for the contrived media circus around this whole thing. People say more offensive things on the radio every day, and they're perfectly within their rights to do so. There wasn't an iota of maliciousness in Imus's voice. He made an off-color joke, and Sharpton and Jackson decided to **** themselves again for their fake cause, just to get their publicity. If they hadn't thrown themselves into the ring, or if someone had an OUNCE of testicular fortitude and said "are you kidding me? It was an off-color JOKE, Chris Rock has things 50x worse on network TV every day", then this would have blown over without anything happening. The sponsors were forced to drop their sponsorship by contrived white guilt, and it's a load of crap.

My point is that Imus' remarks affected MSNBC's ability to make money. Period. It doesn't matter what JJ or AS said or did. They didn't cause this **** storm. Sure, they stirred it up, but Imus said what he said and now he's suffering the consequences of it. Now whether or not you or I believe those consequences have merit is irrelevant because the bottom line is the bottom line -- money talks and **** walks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    I would have to agree with post #10....Why people don't bring this up kind of astounds me...When people stop sticking up for their right to free speech, no matter how colorful (no pun intended) that is when it gets taken away...I have heard a lot worse on local radio ( this is the south)......Nothing happens to them. I don't listen to/watch Imus, but I certainly think he got dicked on this one.....
    Nappy haired Bill
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    My point is that Imus' remarks affected MSNBC's ability to make money. Period. It doesn't matter what JJ or AS said or did. They didn't cause this **** storm. Sure, they stirred it up, but Imus said what he said and now he's suffering the consequences of it. Now whether or not you or I believe those consequences have merit is irrelevant because the bottom line is the bottom line -- money talks and **** walks.

I think whether you or I believe the consequences have merit is the crux of the discussion. I agree with you: I don't fault MSNBC for pulling Imus after everything came down, because that's what they have to do, or it will hurt them financially. I fault Jackson and Sharpton and all the other blowhards for making a huge case out of this, and consequently, trying to limit what people can and cannot say, over the airwaves or otherwise. If said blowhards weren't a bunch of hypocrites, and just let this thing Imus said go, then MSNBC would have never had the bad publicity, and would consequently never had to suspend / fire Imus. It's a CONTRIVED issue, completely made up by media whores who want attention, and they found an easy target in an old man who was probably just trying to be cool by using current lingo and said something stupid. If they really believed that these words were so toxic to their race, they would spend more time fighting against those of their race who use those words every day, in MUCH more derogatory and hurtful ways than Imus JOKINGLY did.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited April 2007
    Ho is Me

I do hope that the women of Rutgers enjoy their proverbial 15 minutes, because I for one CANNOT wait until it's over. I'm tired of the double-standards, fed up with the hypocrisy and had more than enough of Al Sharpton to last more than 1000 lifetimes.

Al, Crimson Knights, Imus et al: I invite you to find a nice, dark room, turn on the CD player and crank 'er up to 11. Give the good ole Eagles "Get Over It" a listen...closely!

I turn on the tube and what do I see
    A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
    They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
    Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
    Victim of this, victim of that
    Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat
    Get over it
    Get over it
    All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
    Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
    But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
    The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
    Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
    You don't want to work, you want to live like a king
    But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it
    Get over it
    If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
    Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
    You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
    Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
    You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
    You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
    Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
    Complain about the present and blame it on the past
    I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ****

Get over it
    Get over it
    All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
    Get over it, get over it

Get over it
    Get over it
    It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
    Get over it, get over it

Ladies, you dropped the ball (pun intended). You blew the perfect opportunity to stand, united, proud and strong, face the media, the critics, the cynics and the generally misinformed and proudly state:

"Sticks and stones may break our bones, but names will never hurt us."

Now you're victims, "scarred" for life. I don't see how your chosen stance will advance the cause of women world wide as you lie down, weeping and wailing your woe-is-me tale. What do the rest of us get out of it? Oprah's Book of the Month and a made-for-tv movie?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Get over it!

Posted by Noobers at 4:35 AM 0 comments
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    If DMX, P Diddy or Eminem recorded a song called "Nappy Haired Ho's", it would sell a million plus copies, be all over MTV, BET & the like and most likely win a Grammy. These guys would be praised up and down for their "Artistic Musical Talent."

Imus needs to get some balls and go on the offensive! Flush out AS and JJ for what they are!

Nappy Haired Strongbad
    No excuses!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    It was a stupid comment, but the reaction is excessive.

And Strong Bad is absolutely correct.
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    If DMX, P Diddy or Eminem recorded a song called "Nappy Haired Ho's", it would sell a million plus copies, be all over MTV, BET & the like and most likely win a Grammy. These guys would be praised up and down for their "Artistic Musical Talent."

Imus needs to get some balls and go on the offensive! Flush out AS and JJ for what they are!

Nappy Haired Strongbad

Exactly.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »

If Imus went on the offensive, he would open himself up for more attacks and make matters worse. He's already apologized. Nuff said. It's best for him to keep his mouth shut and let this incident blow over.

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    I never liked Imus but what is happening to him is complete and utter ****!!! Al & Jesse are disgraces and the black community should censor them because everytime they open their mouths they put their foot in it deeper and deeper.

DOUBLE STANDARD!!! Who can scream the loudest!!! That is what seems to be the order of the day.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    This whole thing is a crock! Nothing he said was racist.

He called a girls basketball team "nappy headed ho's". There are white girls on that team.

He called the TN team "cute". There are black girls on that team.

The "jigaboo vs the wannabe's" quote was a reference, verbatem, to a Spike Lee movie, School Daze and wasnt said by him but another person on the show.

I have no love for Imus but this whole thing is a shame.

Im not saying that people shouldnt be pissed off as these comments were in very bad taste and if my daughter were one of the Rutgers players, Id be hunting this **** down for a good talking to, but the usual parasites in Jackson and Sharpton have no business in this.

Im just disturbed by the recent trend that if somebody says something you dont like, rather than you just tuning out, you have to get that person fired and run out of town. If theyre advocating violence or illegal behavior than thats a different story but making offensive statements shouldnt warrant a persons total destruction.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm not fan of Imus, but I don't think he should be fired. The guy said something stupid, and he should apologize. End of story.

I wonder what songs on are the Rutgers basketball teams various iPods. Wonder if there's any gangsta rap on there....? Listen to the top 5 hip hop songs on the charts today. Lot worse stuff on there than what Imus said...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    i'm gonna start up WET (white entertainment television) and run a miss white USA pageant.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
This discussion has been closed.