Thinking lately

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,183
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Whats up people....

I was thinking about this the past few months with all the new stuff that came out. Blue Ray, HD DVD, 1080p, plasma prices falling , Ipod everything, etc etc etc. I have been hit with the upgrade bug but started thinking about all this madness.

What about the journey towards audio perfection??? Is there such a thing?? I'm very happy with my current system but I always here something that I dig and then think about upgrading, sideways grading or whatever..

So when is enough enough??

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    So when is enough enough??

When you direct your money towards a different hobby.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    When you run out of money and have to sell the dog to support your habit you know enough is enough. :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    When it's not fun.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Side step, and attack the attack.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    When your common sense kicks in & you actually hear what you just wrote above.

"I'm very happy with my current system."
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2007
    Try networking audio setups to see what really works for you. Are you 2 ch or are you HT or gaming. Test what works for you. Be aware of the size of the rooms so you have a better idea of how it will be for you. Networking audio makes for good friends.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Side step, and attack the attack.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just sprayed my monitor with Diet Snapple.

I can show you the door but I cannot kick your fat **** through it....or some such.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Since I got my SVS sub and those RTi800's from Justin, this is actually the first time I've ever been very happy with my HT setup. It's nice to just kick back and enjoy watching movies without thinking about upgrading this or that during the movie.

John
    No excuses!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    Try networking audio setups to see what really works for you. Are you 2 ch or are you HT or gaming. Test what works for you. Be aware of the size of the rooms so you have a better idea of how it will be for you. Networking audio makes for good friends.

engtaz

You know I had to laugh at this one.

Advice to "The King" of home theater installers.

Just how many rooms have you been aware of now Dan?
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2007
    if you're happy, but still have an itch to progress, then just try adding vs. ever replacing.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2007
    Dan
    When I find myself upgrading just for the sake of boredom, I stop and think about what I'm doing. I've caught myself a number of times lately looking at equipment I don't need. I've been very satisfied with my system, but sometimes boredom kicks in, and I want to try something different.

It beats chasing my tail because I'm not satisfied with something; but it's largely unnecessary. I think with the amount of money I'm willing to spend on various pieces (generally $1000 per piece) I feel my best option now would be speakers in the $5k and under zone---no more. Since speakers generally make the most noticable difference, and given the "mid-level" of my other equipment, I should be able to find whatever I need in the $5k range.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited April 2007
    I usually stop when I can't afford to pay for my schooling anymore. And crack, that comes first.......is it cold in here?

On a serious note though, with the lack of a real job I can usually only make once purchase a year with a few hundred bucks. *waiting for next years tax returns for a sub...*
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    Audio perfection is cyclical, kinda like life. You can get where you want to be, then change naturally occurs and the cycle starts all over again.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."