No comments on UFC 69??

MikeC78
MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone see the Georges St. Pierre and Matt Sera Fight this past Saturday??

Probably one of the biggest upsets I've seen! Unbelievable!
Post edited by MikeC78 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2007
    I picked the wrong weekend to go away, My friend text messaged me that Matt won, for an hour I thought he was kidding.

from what I heard, Matt pretty much dominated the entire time
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Anyone see the Georges St. Pierre and Matt Sera Fight this past Saturday??

Probably one of the biggest upsets I've seen! Unbelievable!

I always like the underdogs in big fights like this, plus I pulled for the fellow LI’er. Awesome fight. It certainly made up for the sleeper before it.
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I picked the wrong weekend to go away, My friend text messaged me that Matt won, for an hour I thought he was kidding.

Matt really gave him a beating, one that he'll never forget for sure! Matt ended the fight in the first round in about a minute and a half.

I liked both fighters, but like m00npie said, I always pull for the underdog.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2007
    I purposely missed this PPV because I figured it would've been boring. Figured the only fight to watch was Diego/Koscheck but that was pathetic from what I hear. I'm still pissed my boy gave the title to that assclown. Doesn't matter, GSP will get it back then lose it to a pride fighter like everyone else... god I can't wait till they get the sanctions "merged."
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Toxis
    edited April 2007
    plus with Serra being an 8-1 underdog, would've been a good time to put $100 on him!

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    I also thought the Diego/Koscheck fight was going to be good, one of the worst fights I've ever seen. The whole fight was stand up, with a bunch of dancing around, like you heard it was pathetic.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    He got lucky, GSP slipped and instead of going down he tried to stay up. Big mistake as that's when Serra landed the punch that basically ended the fight.

First I asked why was Hughes so happy about it, but it was pretty clear. He thinks he's fighting Serra instead of GSP. He knows he has very little change to beat GSP but Serra should be much easier. I think it would be a much wiser move from UFC to have Serra - GSP II instead of Serra - Hughes.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited April 2007
    For those that missed the main event:

Serra Vs GSP

Diego/Kos was lame, but I am soooo glad Diego lost! haha what a cry baby.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    holy crap, he got his **** handed to him
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    He got lucky, GSP slipped and instead of going down he tried to stay up. Big mistake as that's when Serra landed the punch that basically ended the fight.

Not sure I agree with that. I’m not saying Serra was the better fighter, but he clocked him with right and then a big left before he started his stumbling\slipping motion. Even if he had fallen and collected himself, I think the result would have been the same once he got back up. Heavy hitters can ruin and good fighter’s confidence or strategy with one big hit. He had his bell rung either way. As with any fighter that gets a title, Serra now has to prove himself to see if he truly did get lucky or not.

My hats off to St Pierre though. He’s a class act for the way he handled himself after the fight. Unlike Diego which I thought I saw tears as he was sticking up his hand indicating he’s still #1.
  • m00npie
    edited April 2007
    What the heck was Leonard Garcia smiling about? I was starting to think he was the happiest guy at the arena that night even though he was getting pummeled by Huerta
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    That first hit might have hit him in the back of the head, but in any case he did get lucky. Well, in a fight it only takes one punch. He deserved the victory, no doubt about it but he certainly didn't dominate the fight until that punch.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2007
    going into the match, many people said St pierre was unbeatable. in the game of MMA, I say no one is unbeatable. a favorite? sure, but anything can happen.

do you think St Pierre just underestimated him? did it look like he showed up mentally? I still havent seen it yet
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    going into the match, many people said St pierre was unbeatable. in the game of MMA, I say no one is unbeatable. a favorite? sure, but anything can happen.

Anything can happen, just ask Mike Tyson. :)

GSP is definately the best fighter in his weight class, his big time domination of Hughes with a flawless performance might have had people thinking he is unbeatable. Then again, Hughes is more a wrestler than hitter, unlike Serra who clearly wanted only to punch.
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    What the heck was Leonard Garcia smiling about? I was starting to think he was the happiest guy at the arena that night even though he was getting pummeled by Huerta

I was thinking the same thing! His smiling would of fueled the fire for me to beat his face in even more.
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited April 2007

do you think St Pierre just underestimated him? did it look like he showed up mentally? I still havent seen it yet

uh, click the link I just posted. Tha'ts the video.
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2007
    uh, click the link I just posted. Tha'ts the video.

didnt work for me the first time, but just saw it on another computer

Both fighters looked ready to go. seems like GSP was just feeling Matt out, without doing anything crazy. as the fight progressed, Matt caught him on the button. you throw a punch, sometimes it lands, sometimes it dont, this one landed, and got the job done. GSP just couldnt recover, and Matt just closed it out and finished him off.

Matt looked like he went into that fight knowing he can win, and win he did. I give him all the credit in the world. I wasnt worried about missing the fight thinking it would be one sided (GSP dominating). Boy was I wrong, and I'll admit it.

My hat's off to Matt, he went in, and flat out got the job done.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Toxis
    edited April 2007
    ugh.... that's sickening. I'm not taking anything away from Serra because that was a good fight and he definitely came in prepared as did GSP. Just like any fighter will tell you, all it takes is one punch for the underdog to be the winner. He had one punch that put him into a blur and it's hard to get back from that when the guy won't stop punching you. haha GSP will be back and he'll dominate yet again... give him time. That is, unless Wanderlai Silva comes over to test a few people. lol

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,183
    edited April 2007
    Anyone at anytime can be beat. MMA proves this all the time. He slipped and got caught. He will come back and try again. It's what fighters do.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    Anyone at anytime can be beat. MMA proves this all the time. He slipped and got caught. He will come back and try again. It's what fighters do.

Dan

Exactly! Couldn't of been said any better.
  • Toxis
    edited April 2007
    but they're not always the same fighter after a brutal loss. Look at Rich Franklin. He's FAR from what he used to be, and that was against a guy he owned the whole time and was obviously superior in all aspects.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Looked like a fair beat down to me. It looks like Sera popped him with one right before he slipped.

Ive never been that impressed with St Pierre really. He is a great fighter technically but thats just it, "technically". He doesnt seem to have fire or aggression that would make him feared.

I think Matt Hughes is a monster and pound for pound one of the best fighters in the world. He's not only got great technical skills but is a mean SOB in the ring. I agree that since these guys are the best in the world, any of them can win on any given day but I predict Hughes will be Champion again.

Im also very glad to hear Diego lost. I cant stand him!!! Way too much attitude. Anybody got a link to that one? I cant find it anywhere online.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I predict Hughes will be Champion again.
    If he gets to fight Serra he has a good chance. Against GSP I don't see him winning but then again he might get lucky. :)
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    Im also very glad to hear Diego lost. I cant stand him!!! Way too much attitude. Anybody got a link to that one? I cant find it anywhere online.

It was won by desicion. You are not missing anything, trust me.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    If he gets to fight Serra he has a good chance. Against GSP I don't see him winning but then again he might get lucky. :)

But he's already beat St Pierre twice.

I think theyre both excellent fighters but I give Hughes the edge. But if he has an off day, doesnt come in at his peak game of gets hit with a good shot, like I said, any of these dudes can win on any given day.

Doesnt matter much anyway. Once these Pride guys start crossing over, the UFC guys are going to fade pretty quickly. Fedor especially is going to clean house and will wear the heavyweight crown for as long as he wants it.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    But he's already beat St Pierre twice.
    Once. By submission, and GSP didn't give much chance for that in their rematch, as many predicted. He just looks much more complete fighter than Hughes.
    Doesnt matter much anyway. Once these Pride guys start crossing over, the UFC guys are going to fade pretty quickly.
    I agree, if they start to show up. Pride's the premier MMA league and the paycheck is much fatter over there, isn't it? They really don't have the need to come over to UFC.

Speaking of Pride's big names, who is Nogueiro fighting? I doubt Couture is coming back anymore unless he gets to fight hacks like Sylvia.
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited April 2007
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2007
    I have heard that Coture is going to fight Fedor. I hope not. Id hate to see Coture turned into a greasy spot.

• Sami
    edited April 2007
    If they start mixing fighters and bring Wanderlei back to US audience, I definately want to see Silva vs Belfort II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwtmQKfGZg