Online feature- tour of Polk Audio HQ

donlindich
donlindich Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hello Polk Fans

A few years ago I toured Polk's HQ and posted the story on my newspaper column's website, and a member here posted a link. A link to that thread is below. Since then, I pulled down my old website so the feature was unavailable.

I have started a new blog and just finished posting the tour up again if anyone missed it last time. It can be found at www.soundadviceblog.com in the features section . I have some other interesting things up there (vinyl lovers, you MUST see the tour of Jerry's Records, also located in the features section!) so stop on by.

Original Club Polk Thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23400
Post edited by donlindich on

Comments

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for posting the new link. I didn't catch it the first time around.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Very cool read thanks!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    nice,,thanks for the link
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited April 2007
    hope the "experimental finish" remains experimental.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Don, great review and photos to share the experience. That story about Jerry's..... I wish I could be there right now.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2007
    That was nice !

I liked the parts fabrication machine, that took CAD/CAM drawings and produced parts using a laser and special "goop".

As the article mentioned, Polk doesn't spend a majority of their money on marketing, unlike "u-know-who"; nice to see where their heads at.

Now, if I back a U-Haul up to the back door just before closing time on Friday, than .... yes, I have a plan !!
    Sal Palooza
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    I've been through two tours of Polk and let me just say that you have captured the tour and the essence of Polk very well with your photographs and storyline. Very well done!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2007
    Excellent pics and write up! I have put it on my fav. link. Please do not take it off line. Thanks for posting the link...!

Btw, those experimental LSi15 finish need not be rolled out. I thought it looks fugly. :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited April 2007
    Great write up. Thanks for sharing!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    That was very :cool: Thanks!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited April 2007
    polkatese wrote: »
    Btw, those experimental LSi15 finish need not be rolled out. I thought it looks fugly. :)

NO KIDDING! Europe, huh? If that's what they like over there.... :D

Send those right back to the recycle bin. If they ever need feedback, I am sure they could get plenty here!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    Donlindich

Very nice article.

Thanks,

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    There is alot of gear that never makes it to these shores with alternative finishes. The champagne and gold fascia, for example, on components is very popular in Asia and beyond.

The saddest part, for the audio nerds, is to see the amount of stuff that gets crushed and sent to the recycling/garbage bin during pre-production and development. This is common to all manufacturers.

A picture exists somewhere of a pretty decent batch of Polk proto-cabinets about 10 minutes away from destruction.....anyone save that?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    Just found this article so thought I would bump this thread.

Direct link is http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=4
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    I would think that threads like this would make 1 or 2 pages by now and already it's slipping into the abyss.

Priorities. Where'd they go? Testing, testing...1,2,3...

This IS an audio forum right?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~