Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    All these posts and every brand sucks and is also the greatest. :eek:
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I don't think any of them suck. You buy what you need. Some are stronger then others. Some have higher end hardware. I paid 699 for the Gateway I just bought. The case is not the strongest but I don't take it out of the house I just wanted to save space.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Speaking of Gateway, Dad's last laptop is a Gateway.

He's a SnapOn dealer, so he takes his laptop out on the road 5 (errr, now only 4) days a week, bouncing up and down the road in a big ol' truck, cradled in a hard wooden computer area. At any rate, all his laptops have to withstand a slightly elevated from usual amount of abuse. He's always had great luck with Compaq (4, at least), had one Toshiba, one Sony (kept it about 2 days...didn't work with his program), and now Gateway.

Anyhoo, about a week after Dad got his Gateway, he was coming in the door one evening, walking up the brick steps, and dropped it. It fell right on the corner of one of the bricks on the edge. Put a nice little crease in the door to the memory compartment, but it still works just fine.

Not saying the Gateway is really all that tough, obviously he got lucky with that, but still it's a testament to the laptop's ruggedness.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    We use the Insprion's at work. I have 2 of them but for highend internals, the options are limited. Your not going to get a system that is able to do extensive grafix work until you get up to the XPS.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant the Inspiron's are the lowest level and the Latitude and Precision lines are higher quality - these are of course Dell's lines.

I found this neat video while going through Dell's site: Video Durability Test

I'm not throwing out all this Dell stuff because I'm a fan or anything - It's the only big company that offers what I want and thus I've spent alot of time there lately.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited April 2007
    My experience with Dell has been awful. I bought a loaded Dell laptop ($2500) for my daughter in college. And, though I never buy extended warranties, I did this time. Thank god.

The Dell was 2 years old this past Christmas. The mother board has gone up twice. The DVD drive one time. The charger three times. They finally sent her a brand new one in early December. It started having problems within the month. Last month I gave up on the Dell and bought my daughter an Apple notebook. Guess what...not one single problem. It has worked perfectly.

Although I'd love to have an Apple for myself, I switched about 14 yrs ago because of connectivity problems I was experiencing in the office environment. My last 3 laptops have been IBMs. They've been dropped, been kicked, and have been x-rayed at too many airports to remember. My experience is that they're built like tanks. I have an X40 and love it.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    Airplay, look at the XPS line for Dell. Theyre usually cheaper if you can find a base model with the options than you want other than taking an inspirion and upgrading it to the features you want.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2007
    There aren't any base models with what I want. You pretty much have to change everything :(

When the XPS first came out I wanted one so badly haahaa.
  • accasbel
    accasbel Posts: 19
    edited April 2007
    IBM/Lenovo keyboards & poionter are the best out there... And the screens are almost the best. The machines are conservative and built for daily duty. Dells, HP, and Toshibas, in my humble opinion, are built for every-other-day use.
    Live free. Dine well. Drink good beer.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    The vaio I'm thinking about claims to have PC2-4200 667 mhz RAM in it but I can't find RAM like that. I can only find PC2-4200 533mhz RAM.

Did sony **** up? I want to find out how expensive it would be to buy another GB of RAM from someone besides Sony or if it's just worth buying the extra GB from them. So does that type of RAM even exist?
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    What's the deal with Dell's Latitude series?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote:
    The vaio I'm thinking about claims to have PC2-4200 667 mhz RAM in it but I can't find RAM like that. I can only find PC2-4200 533mhz RAM.

I can't find any either. i would send an e-mail to customer service.
    audiobliss wrote:
    What's the deal with Dell's Latitude series?
    It's their 'business' line. The Precision series is their workstation line. Both have many features that the Inspiron doesn't such as all metal construction, sealed keyboards and even North American based Tech Support. The Precision line goes further and actually has technicians trained for workstation applications.

Here's what Dell says:
    Dell wrote:
    Inspiron vs. Latitude
    While Inspiron notebooks offer great performance at an aggressive price, users who require a fast notebook that emphasizes networkability, total cost of ownership, long-term stability and rock-solid performance should look to the Latitude family of business-class notebooks.

Inspiron vs. Dell Precision
    Dell PrecisionTM workstations are certified to run a variety of workstation-class applications and are optimized for the high performance requirements and processing demands necessary for many engineering, finance, software development, digital content creation, digital video editing and GIS applications.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the run down.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Thanks for the run down.

Here's a nice link for all the info I forgot it in my last post - LINKY
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Ok, folks, how's this sound (not to steal your thread, Airsupply...well, not too much...:D):

A Dell Latitude? I can get one spec'd out the same for cheaper than either an XPS or an Inspiron, if I'm looking at things correctly.

Dell Latitude D820
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media
    15.4 inch Wide Screen WUXGA LCD Panel
    2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache™ (I realize that's not for gaming...but wouldn't it suffice for gaming?)
    120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
    Touchpad with UPEK® Fingerprint Reader (just for fun :D)
    8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio Digital Media™ and Cyberlink Power DVD™
    Dell Wireless™ 1390 802.11g Mini Card

Price: $1,868.24

Comparable XPS:
    Dell XPS M1710 Metallic Black
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional
    17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
    100GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Price: $2,676.96

Comparable Inspiron:
    E1505 Dual Core
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium + Belkin Easy Transfer Cable (ugh...wanted XP Pro)
    15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
    256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
    120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Price: $1,686.96

There, all three. I was surprised that the Inspiron was so much cheaper. Hmmm.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    That's pretty similar to the Precision I'm looking at.

The graphics card only has 128MB of onboard and shares the RAM to get 256MB

I personally wouldn't get a HDD slower than 7200RPM

Also, it is usually cheaper to buy the lowest amount of RAM and HDD then upgrade yourself.

What are you going to be using this for? The Quadro card is made for graphics intensive apps like CAD, Photoshop, After Effects, Maya etc. If you aren't going to be using these then you'd be better off with one of the nice ATI cards (If you can handle having an ATI card... :p)

The laptop advisor does a good job on telling you what you need - Link
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for your input; much appreciated.

Whenever I buy a new laptop, it'll be used for surfing the web, word processing, music, some videos, though no major video editing, and some gaming. Not really big into gaming at the moment, but I want it to be able to do games justice.

The only reason I went with that video card is...it's the only one offered for that laptop! lol And, I must have XP Pro. I do NOT want Vista.

I didn't know it was easier to replace the HDD. Then I would have to reinstal the OS and all the drivers. I really don't think I'd want to get into all that.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    I added a comparable XPS laptop to my previous post, and you can see the HUGE difference in price. Which doesn't make sense. I'll also add one like that from the Inspiron line ASAP.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure about the Latitude but with the Precision, you can get a disc of all the drivers at no additional cost. I'm going to get Vista and if I don't like it install XP (I have an XP Pro disc)
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    ledhed wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the Latitude but with the Precision, you can get a disc of all the drivers at no additional cost. I'm going to get Vista and if I don't like it install XP (I have an XP Pro disc)
    Yeah, drrrr. I even checked that little box to get the free drivers, then forgot about it. Good plan, as I have a few XP Pro discs as well.

If you haven't noticed, I added XPS and Inspiron laptops above, as well, for comparison's sake.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Good experiences with Dell, mom's Latitude has been in service for about 5 years, only had to replace the keypad because she wore out the letters and couldn't see what was what.

Bought a Sony Vaio about 6 months ago, typing on it now, so far so good - knock on wood. I run wireless, play SOME games - use it mostly for surfing, email, IM, selling gear, and as a music server for the whole house rig with an external WD hd.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    All of those are nice, real nice. I'd spring for the Latitude, I think it is worth the extra $200. You are definitely getting more than you need but, might as well.
    You may want to look into getting an expansion dock so you can easily keep a standard monitor, mouse, keyboard but just easily undock for when you want to take it with you.

Also be aware that TurboCache and HyperMemory mean that it achieves the maximum graphics RAM by sharing system memory. With those two computers, they have 128MB standard.
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    I see. Thanks for pointing that out about the memory. Kind of a bummer.

Why do you like the latitude over the Inspiron? It'll be a while before I blow any money on a laptop since mine, while old, is still working.

I don't *think* I'm much interested in a docking station. I have a desktop, and I don't think I'm very fond of having a laptop instead of a desktop. Not sure yet, though.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    edited April 2007
    Well, all metal construction, sealed keyboard and North American tech support. It seems they are assembled to a higher standard.

My laptop will totally replace my desktop, thus I'm getting a docking station. The nice one also gives a PCI expansion slot so I'm going to put a nice soundcard in there (M-audio Audiophile 2496). Then again, I'm only going to be taking it on trips and when I go home so mine will be a desktop replacement for all purposes.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    I wish I could get a docking station, but for $249 I will just unplug things.

I don't have the room for a desktop in a college dorm and I'll need to take it to class so I definitely need a laptop.
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I wish I could get a docking station, but for $249 I will just unplug things.

I don't have the room for a desktop in a college dorm and I'll need to take it to class so I definitely need a laptop.
    Wow, that's gotta be a SMALL dorm!

I definitely like the idea of having a desktop and a laptop, though I don't think it'd be too hard to live off just a laptop.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    Well I have room lol, but why waste the extra room with a desktop when Icould just get a laptop. Plus I need to take it to class.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    I looked at alienware desktops and not only can you load it with 1gb of video ram but you can get a seperate card just for processing physics alone.

Imaging the gaming you could do with a comp like that? Wow!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I looked at alienware desktops and not only can you load it with 1gb of video ram but you can get a seperate card just for processing physics alone.

Imaging the gaming you could do with a comp like that? Wow!

Alienware makes great gaming systems. If a computer will run games good it will do everything else good too. I'm not sure but I think Alien is a division of dell.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880