So it's time to buy a laptop...

Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm going away to school next semester (University of New England in Biddeford Maine) and I'm going to need a new laptop. I'm currently using a 7 year old sony Vaio desktop as my machine and it holds up pretty well for being 7 years old.

I've been looking at laptops and it seems HP has the best deals and such. I've looked around but I'm not really sure where to get the best deal for the least amount of money.

I'd like to have atleast 2gb of RAM, 256 RAM on a dedicated video card, a screen that has a resolution of atleast 1440 x 900 (i think thats the right ratio), 80 gb of HD space, a dvd burner, and preferably the t7200 processor, unless there's a faster AMD one (i don't know how to compare amd to intel).

So that's what I'd like but more is always better. I'd like to have the laptop for a while. I think I'll need to spend $1500 - $2000 but the closer to $1500 the more justifyable all the extra goodies will be.

So is HP my best bet?
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    I happen to like the HP laptops. Although my next laptop will be an Apple. I have a few friends with the HP's and they love it.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited April 2007
    It's hard to get a laptop that's any good these days, but the some HP models and corporate Dells are OK. I'm a fan of R-series Thinkpads, too.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    With your budget I'd go with Apple.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    git yerself one of those laptops that plays Blu ray discs too. they only run about 3K though. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited April 2007
    Heard good things about IBM's, but, in my converted opinion, Apple's are truly the way to go. Easier to use that PC's, more fun, can do anything PC's can and you don't have to worry about viruses and spam.

Go Mac & you won't go back.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    I don't want an apple because i like to play games and I'd probably have problems with game compatability.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2007
    We use t42 and t60 thinkpads at work and they seem to hold up pretty well. It's more of a less flashy design that's built to last in comparison with hp / compaq. Another guy at work spent a fortune on a fuji laptop and it's really cool but with a 10" screen just not all that great to work with. Crazy battery life, weight and size though...

I've had nothing but problems with apple computers / laptops, but that's just me. I'll be sticking with windows or linux for a while.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    I've had really good experiences with Toshiba, and recent Compaq, and HP models. However I would avoid any new models with Vista on it. I would consider a good used or refurb model with XP. Vista is just far too resource hungry, and far too slow.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    You can still get Dell's with windows XP on them. Vista suck donkey. When you go to dell's site select small office, and configure machine. There will be an option for windows XP home. Get it. I can't stress enough the compatibility issues with Vista.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Come this summer, Apple will be releasing OS 10.5, with built-in dual OS support, so you can boot into either Mac or Windows natively.

If you stay windows, do yourself a favor and order it online with XP, NOT Vista. Bluntly put, Vista isn't ready yet, not enough third-party support.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited April 2007
    don't have to worry about viruses and spam.

viruses I get, but spam ? my (vast) experience say different. you're gonna have to use spamassassin or any other spam filter which works and has nothing to do with apple.

like some other ppl wrote. If u r into games, u can pick up a mac and run it with win-xp. no problem.

Macs pack a lot of goodies though. the sound card for example is great, I can really tell the difference between my mac book pro and my other IBM laptop, when I listen to my Senn 595.

If u r sold on a PC , I'd look at acer. some guys at work swear by them.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    I would say Dell,, until I saw my brother in laws new apple--he travels about 300 days per year (bicycling in other countries) and swears by it. Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited April 2007
    Go with Apple. They have actually come out with a program that will allow you to run Windows in a separate window while still in OS 10.4, so you don't even have to reboot to use it. That way you can keep all your games, but have all the multimedia capabilities of a Mac. Granted the price may seem higher, but you have to factor in the amount of extra software that you get with a Mac.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    I needed a laptop for school and I ended up buying a Dell.

My friend has a Mac and had to get rid of it because almost everything he did in school he couldnt do on his mac. They have the new one thatll let you run windows, but I know someone else that has one and the machine is very slow and cost more than my Dell.

If you wait, Dell has very good deals about once a month. I wouldnt own another laptop. Their customization is great, shipping is fast, and you can still get them with XP :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2007
    I have one of the new Dell laptops that we got through my job. Got it re-imaged (came with Vista and reimaged with XP). VISTA SUCKS!!!!!! There were like eight or nine of us that got them and every one of us got rid of Vista. I like it a lot and it does what I need it to do.

FWIW, if the Apples would have supproted our software that we use, I would have ordered one of those.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    I just bought a laptop. I wound up with a Gateway that is good enough for what I need. BUT.... I looked at dell and found if you look under small business you can get a good sale right now. Pick a base system and then pick out options you want . I was looking at $280.00 off when I went to my cart. After you hit $1300.00 The savings gets even bigger. We use dells for work and they have been reliable.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    I'm also looking at getting one and the only decent option I have found is the Dell Precision line. I do video editing so my requirements are a bit different but the last one I configured had the T7200, 2GB RAM, 512MB Quadro graphics card. It was close to 3K new but, if you get the least RAM and HDD then you can buy better (more RAM, larger and faster HDD) from Newegg and install yourself cheaper than Dell does.

If looking at Dell, check out the outlet - some major deals can be had there.

FWIW, similarly equipped HPs were at least 500 more and for me, Apple doesn't offer anything powerful enough or large enough not to mention they are at least 1K more than similar PCs
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    so far it seems an HP with all the specifications i stated costs alittle under $1600. I'm not sure i will be able to better then that anywhere.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's good. You'd be a lot better off NOT going with HP. Dell, Lenovo (aka IBM), or Apple are all FAR better choices than HP as far as performance and reliability.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's good. You'd be a lot better off NOT going with HP. Dell, Lenovo (aka IBM), or Apple are all FAR better choices than HP as far as performance and reliability.

My thoughts, exactly.

Any word on the new Lenovo laptops? I've always drooled over the IBM's, but I've had the chance to 'play around with' a few of the new ones here recently, and they feel pretty cheap. It doesn't necessarily mean they are, but the actual laptop beside the touchpad seems to give a good bit more when squeezed than I'd like.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited April 2007
    I have used Apple Powerbooks exclusively since 2000. They are both reliable workhorses that never give me any problems. As for software compatability, I got over that after about a year. Apple's OS is a much better day to day Operating System than Windows will probably ever be. My entire life is on my P-Book, work, personal, financial, everything. Up until recently, gaming on the platform has been pitiful at best, but i think that is changing slowly. The only game that matters "WoW" is mac native, as is X-Plane, the only real flight simulator on the market for desktop systems. You get over Windows so called productivity software very quickly. There are translators available for every file format ever created, and it doesn't really matter very much anyway because if you really need a system to work from home with, your employer should supply you with it anyway. Any 21st century employer that can't supply employees with out of office hardware for work at home isn't worth working for anyway. Macs are great personal computers, and powerfull enough to use for small enterprise. I run my business on one, both the creative side and the day to day running of the financial end.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    I don't love the company, and Michael Dell seems like kind of a ****, but Dell seems to offer a pretty good laptop for the buck.

We have an HP at home, and its fine.
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    My girlfriend got a dell and it feels like a plastic POS. Not to mention all the horrible software spidered into it. She has problems with hers freezing all the time. I'm inclined to stay away from Dell I guess, even though I did consider Alienware which is a Dell company.
  • MSALLA
    edited April 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    My girlfriend got a dell and it feels like a plastic POS. Not to mention all the horrible software spidered into it. She has problems with hers freezing all the time. I'm inclined to stay away from Dell I guess, even though I did consider Alienware which is a Dell company.

Everyone out looks to be a plastic POS. The gateway I bought is light weight plastic. It was cheap and I don't use it except for bill paynig and club polk. I think if you want real quality, you have to have it custom built or go with a desktop.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm not a fan of Dell, perhaps more because of the company than because of the products, I'm not entirely sure.

But, at any rate, where I work we get discounts on Dell, and three of my 'co-workers' have Dell laptops. They all perform flawlessly and they're happy with them as far as I know.

Take that however you will.

I used to be quite opinionated on the subject of laptops. I.E. I loved Compaq, hated HP (I own an HP...HORRIBLE experience), hated Dell/Gateway, loved IBM. But then I read something someone said, maybe even on this forum, about how any given person can have any kind of an experience with any given company, and the experience entirely mis-represent the company.

And I'm not real sure where I was going with that, but I guess I'm a little more open minded about laptops than I used to be.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2007
    I just wonder if these laptop brand bashers are the same ones that complain about people saying American cars are unreliable.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    Everyone out looks to be a plastic POS. The gateway I bought is light weight plastic. It was cheap and I don't use it except for bill paynig and club polk. I think if you want real quality, you have to have it custom built or go with a desktop.

If you go with models past the standards, such as Dell's Insprion line, you get nicer materials such as full Magnesium Alloy and sealed keyboards etc. etc.

Link to comparison
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    My xps m140 laptop fell out of a truck with the screen open on a rock drive way...couple scratches, lot of bad words, but no problems.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Airplay355
    edited April 2007
    a sony vaio FE series with everything except 1 GB of RAM instead of 2 came to $1390 pre tax and shipping. I bet I could get a stick of RAM a lot cheaper from newegg then from Sony. So far that seems like my best bet. Plus it's a 15.4 inch screen instead of 17" so the battery life should be better and it will be easier to lug to class.

I looked at the Dell business laptops and they are a lot nicer then I thought, but seem to be too expensive for me with all the things I want. I'm guessins because they come with nicer warrantys and a lot more tech support.

Oh well. Sony has been good to me so far. 7 years and it's still ticking away, I suppose it would make sense to stick with what's good :)
  • MSALLA
    edited April 2007
    ledhed wrote: »
    If you go with models past the standards, such as Dell's Insprion line, you get nicer materials such as full Magnesium Alloy and sealed keyboards etc. etc.

Link to comparison

We use the Insprion's at work. I have 2 of them but for highend internals, the options are limited. Your not going to get a system that is able to do extensive grafix work until you get up to the XPS.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880