Polk Paul made me do it!

I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
I, reluctantly, must give thanks to Polk Paul for finally making me seriously consider an iPod.

I have been holding out saying that the sound quality losses would be too great, etc., etc. His little article in this month's e-mail, especially his comments on the ALE encoding, have made me hit craigslist in search of a bargain for a used 30gb iPod.

What can I say, I'm gonna drink the KoolAid. :o (I'll never drink the kind Glop users drink, though!)

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    Be honest, it was his beard, wasn't it? Yeah man...that beard....;)
    No excuses!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    I accidently deleted that email from Polk can someone send it to me please?
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Be honest, it was his beard, wasn't it? Yeah man...that beard....;)

You outed me! DAMN! :eek: :D

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2007
    Wes,

I love my 30gb video ipod. Its the only thing that gets me through work each night. You will not be dissapointed.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2007
    How could you not do what Paul says, he's so cute and cuddly.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2007
    Real Polkies buy the 80gb iPods :D Go big or go home!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »

Ditto!

The 80GB is great!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited April 2007
    go for it
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    Be sure to look into one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855102226

You can find them on sale for around $180 and in my opinion have a better picture and sound than the ipod. They are maybe 1/4" thicker but a great choice. They do DIVX video without going through any conversion too. Right now I have a several seasons of Married With Children and a bunch of music and pictures and space is not an issue. Just drag and drop from the hard drive. Very cool!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    Just got two new 80GB for the wife and I.

You may want to keep an eye open on Apple's site for refurbs. That's how I just bought mine. They were $50 cheaper with free shipping and still carry full warranty.

And if you want a good case it's hard to beat the iSkin eVo3. They can be had about $15 cheaper on ebay from Spotted.horse.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    Ha! :p I bought an iPod Shufffle. :p:p I only use it when I'm at the gym. So convenient its sick. Went with some PX-200's from Sennheiser as I can't stand ear buds.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Shuffle here too. Bought mine around Christmas - NOW they come out with different colors and lowered the price. What the hell.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    I bought mine in silver after they came out with the other colors. Other colors look too girly to me. I would've bought black instead but that was the one color they didn't make it in :(
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    Polk wrote:
    Cute & Cuddly? This is coming from a guy who wears a spandex superhero outfit. I'm afraid, very afraid.

You should be ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Polk Paul made me do shots 8-11,14 and 17 at SC PF '06.

I was grateful.....my liver was not.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Man, that was a party, wasn't it? I wish it was again this weekend.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2007
    Polk wrote:
    I'm not sure I can handle the awesome responsibility of being the inspiration for I-Sig's purchase...

That's okay, Paul. Maybe we can trade responsibilities: You handle my Ipod and I'll get some new SDA's into production! :D

As for size, I'm taking Paul's advice and getting the 30gb. I can't swing more than that if I have any hope of affording a Museatex DAC.

Wes

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2007
    What you should look for is a dock that passes the digital signal to your AVR or whatever. If you get the lossless compression out in digital form (and bypass the crappy DAC on the iPod), you're good to go.

I, too, held out for the longest time. Now I've got an 80GB and I'm currently ripping all of my CDs into Apple Lossless format on a 500GB external hard drive. No more need to carry my 200CD wallet with me anymore!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2007
    bknauss wrote: »
    Now I've got an 80GB and I'm currently ripping all of my CDs into Apple Lossless format on a 500GB external hard drive. No more need to carry my 200CD wallet with me anymore!

With quotes like that no wonder Polk feels music format as we know it is changing before our eyes.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• I-SIG
    edited April 2007
    bknauss wrote: »
    What you should look for is a dock that passes the digital signal to your AVR or whatever. If you get the lossless compression out in digital form (and bypass the crappy DAC on the iPod), you're good to go.

Who makes DAC's that decode ALE or AAC? I have a Bel Canto that's pretty nice, but it doesn't do anything like that.

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited April 2007

Great news! I found an 80 on craigslist this weekend! Only $280 and looks near new. With taxes I probably saved close to 100 clams. I wanted black but this one is white, but for the price...

I got about 13 or so CD's into it w/ ALE encoding. Hasn't even taken up 10% so I'm thinking I won't even fill it up halfway with my current CD collection. (about 130 or so, but there are some short ones and singles in there.)

Wes