One Year Ago Today!!!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I quit smoking.:eek: :D

Yep I actually got rid of a rotten thing that was associated with me for 41 years. If you ever saw me prior to a year ago there was a cig in my hand or I was taking in humungous drags off a smoke or huge billlows of smoke was coming out of my nose and mouth and it took about six full exhales before the inhaled drag had dissipated.

I am saying this because I know there are quite of few of you folks going through the discomforted (sometimes down right mental anguish) of quitting or are trying to quit and are having a hard time. It took me two 1/2 years to quit and serveral attempts before it took

I know this is cliche' but IF I CAN DO IT YOU CERTAINLY CAN!!!

Quit before you get COPD, CHRONIC BRONCHITIS, ASTHMA, EMPHYSEMA or worse yet the big C. I have chronic bronchitis and from time to time my lungs hurt when I inhale and I (not to be gross) hack up some unpleasant stuff.

Anyhoo if you are trying to quit and are having a rough time of it PM me and I will give you my phone number and will give you some support.;)

Joe:)
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Joe!!! Non smokers might not understand it, but it is a great achievement and you should be proud of yourself. I miss smoking EVERY day but I think this time I'm actually gonna make it (73 days smoke free :))

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    congrats Joe on making it to one year.... a year ago you took a step in the right direction to improve your quality of life... may you live well beyond your years in good health.

I've never smoked, but my father did since he was about 15 or 16, he's 79 yrs old now.. and still going strong.. he gave up smoking 25 yrs ago.. did it cold turkey.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited March 2007
    Congratulations!

I've never been a smoker, but as obsessive as I get, it's a damn good thing I never started. I've seen friends go through hell in the process of quitting and it helped put my father in an early grave.
    David
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Joe!

This coming Saturday it will be 2 months for me. After 25 years, it just needs to happen for me. Besides the health issues, it does save money! Well, maybe not save since I spend it on Audio! But that's my gift to myself of enjoyment!

Congrats again...Kip
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Joe...
    Good to see you have your internet connection back, as well. I'm sure that's one habit you aren't willing to break:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Joe, that's a huge step in the right direction health wise. Now, if you can only cut back on your "WING" consumption you'll be as fit as a fiddle!!!!:D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Mr 3300 posts in 8 months! You da man :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    Congrats Mr 3300 posts in 8 months! You da man :D

Traded one addiction for another, 13+posts here a day, gave up cigs for polkcrack.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2007
    Good on ya! You're an inspiration (pun intended).
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    That's great news. I have cut down significantly to less than a 1/2 pack a day.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2007
    Congrats, Joe!!

Besides the health benefits, have you figured out how much you've saved from not buying cigarettes? Just curious.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited March 2007
    I'd take polkcrack over lung cancer any day of the week.

Way to go, Joe.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2007
    Awesome, dude. Going on 4 1/2 myself.
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    so cool. 4 month and still going strong.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    Congrats Joe.

And all of you attempting to quit, don't give up, you can do it!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    That is good to hear Joe :) I quit smoking in '98 (my 3rd & final attempt to quit) & haven't had a craving to go back since. Good on ya brother!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Traded one addiction for another, 13+posts here a day, gave up cigs for polkcrack.

Pity isn't it...

When ya gonna come over here and FEEL my new sub?! :D It's begging to be let loose again.. Haven't cranked it in a day or so.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    Cool! I bet you walk with a limp with all that extra coin in the pocket! :) Lots of people spend 5 to 10 bucks a day. Imagine that, $3650 a year they could have spent on audio equipment and/or loose women...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    Congrats Joe!!! Non smokers might not understand it, but it is a great achievement and you should be proud of yourself. I miss smoking EVERY day but I think this time I'm actually gonna make it (73 days smoke free :))

Ric I honestly don't miss it a bit and the reason for that was I wanted to quit so bad for 2 1/2 years and couldn't! That is one addiction that won't grab me again. I hate the smell (my poor Phyllisann still smokes), I hate the filth it makes and when I walk into Phyllisann's "smoking lounge," (a decorated utility room) I gag from the dirty ashtray smell. . . I can't believe I did that for 41 friggin years.

Hey if you ever find yourself really jonesing for a smoke and are close to one give me a call 24 X 7.
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    avguytx wrote:
    Congrats Joe!

This coming Saturday it will be 2 months for me. After 25 years, it just needs to happen for me. Besides the health issues, it does save money! Well, maybe not save since I spend it on Audio! But that's my gift to myself of enjoyment!

Congrats again...Kip
    Right on Kip!
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    polkcrack.

Polk CRACK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! It is like crack too I can't sleep so I get on the puter and the next thing I know 3 hours and 100 posts later I'm still in the chair wanting more!!! LOL;) :D:p

Wow I didn't know I had that many posts. Well no -one can can accuse me of non-participation.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    That's great news. I have cut down significantly to less than a 1/2 pack a day.

I don't know how you do that Steve. If I lit a cig in the morning by 11:00 AM I smoked a pack. One smoke and I'm off to the races just like with Mr. Booze!
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    madmax wrote:
    Cool! I bet you walk with a limp with all that extra coin in the pocket! :) Lots of people spend 5 to 10 bucks a day. Imagine that, $3650 a year they could have spent on audio equipment and/or loose women...
    madmax

Yep $10 each weekday and the weekend were more like $15 on Sat & Sun.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    Congrats bud. Approching 70 days myself. I feel so much better and I also gag if someone is smoking around me as well.
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    PolkThug wrote:

at least hi-fi won't kill you (just you bank acount:D )
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    Here is how much i've saved so far. Taken from the quitnet site.
    Your Quit Date is: 1/19/2007 10:00:00 AM

Time Smoke-Free: 69 days, 16 hours, 31 minutes and 21 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 1394

Lifetime Saved: 10 days, 15 hours

Money Saved: $434.00
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    Fireman32 wrote:
    and I also gag if someone is smoking around me as well.

that is because your sense of smell is back. use used to smell like that ;)

(4 month and still going strong)