Need advise on where to buy digital camera

SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am going to be purchasing a Nikon D200 with a 18-200mm lens. The best price I found was at Best Price Cameras.com. Do you have any other suggestions?.

Thanks,
Steve
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2007
    B&H Photo. Not the absolute lowest, but still very low and the best customer service in the universe. I've purchased the bulk of my camera gear there. They're very well regarded in the photography community as being the best. Adorama is excellant also.

By the way, have fun with that D200. It's a great great camera. I love mine! Get the MB-D200 extended grip if you have the $$$. What are your primary shooting plans? If you plan on doing any high speed sports photography, look at the Sandisk Extreme III CF cards. The Ultra II's are nice, but the write speed on the Extreme's are faster. I notice a big difference when shooting sporting events.

John
    No excuses!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    Wolf Camera or Ritz Camera.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited March 2007
    I've bought 2 cameras from jr.com. Great turn around time and the lowest prices I found.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited March 2007
    I will be shooting a little bit of everything at first. A friend of mine is a serious professional and wants to spend more time with me so he suggested I get a camera and when he is in town he will set up some shoots and some landscape to see what I like best.

I am very fortunate that he is willing to take me under his wing.....I CAN"T WAIT
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • Strong Bad
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, you are lucky to have someone experienced like that to help you get going. When you're out shooting with him, pick his brain as much as possible! Take a notepad along and take notes. Really!

The 18-200 is a very nice all around lens. Hang on buddy, you'll soon get "Lens Lust" and forget about home audio. A very fun landscape/wideangle lens is the Tokina 12-24 f4. It's about $350 less than the Nikon equivelant and right one par in terms of quality. Now that spring has sprung, I'll be heading west into the mountains one weekend in May to shoot away!

Here is one shot with the Tokina from last year at a winery in PA...

http://strongdigitalart.smugmug.com/gallery/1289066#60589778

By the way, Nikon Capture NX (editing software) is excellant! You'll get a trial version with the camera, then have to shell out $100 for the full blown licensed version. I use it all the time for editing RAW images.

Good luck and post some good stuff!

John
    No excuses!
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited March 2007
    I bought a Nikon D50 kit this past year from Cameta Camera http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera_Digital-Cameras-Nikon_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQpZ5QQsclZ1QQtZkm. I did call Nikon and verify they were a dealer and called the store instead of ordering from E-bay but did buy one of the deals listed. Customer service was excellant and informative. It takes extreamly good pics and am very happy so far.

Good luck
    Dave
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited March 2007
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Price_Cameras_6

Based on the above reviews, I would stay clear from this website. For camera buying, you really need to go with the trusted names. I have read a lot of horror stories where the people had to spent a lot more then advertised price to get the full package.

I suggest the following for camera buying

adorama.com
    bhphoto.com
    ritz camera
    amazon
    SLOCOOKN wrote:
    I am going to be purchasing a Nikon D200 with a 18-200mm lens. The best price I found was at Best Price Cameras.com. Do you have any other suggestions?.

Thanks,
    Steve
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited March 2007
    I bought a Nikon D50 kit this past year from Cameta Camera Customer service was excellant and informative. It takes extreamly good pics and am very happy so far.

Good luck
    Dave

Cameta Camera is near my house. It is an actual store that has been in business for a long time. I like going there because the staff are professionals and are very honest. I took my 10yr Elan there last year to get cleaned and the guy opened up the camera and said nothing was needed, the camera was spot clean. He could have said it needed a cleaning and charge me, but he was honest and sent me on my way, no charge.

Buy from Cameta in confidence
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Strong Bad
    edited March 2007
    I've read a bunch of good things about Cameta also. Top 3 on my list are...

1. B&H
    2. Adorama
    3. Cameta

Ritz and Wolf Camera are expensive. I don't buy anything from them. B&H has seen the bulk of my spending and still do.

Watch the camera places that pressure you into buying "package deals" with sub par lens (low end Sigmas for example) and filter kits (Crystal Optics for example is crap). Sigma makes some fine lens, but also have some low end junk. I stick with Nikon lens almost exclusive, except for the previously mentioned Tokina 12-24mm. Good filters are made by Hoya and B&W. I always get a UV filter for all of my lens. The filter can be replaced if scratched, the lens is way more expensive if that happens.

John
    No excuses!
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for all the info everyone! I was sure the price at bcp.scam was too good to be true.

izafar: The link confirmed my suspension. I called to get some back ground info. The scamer was vauge in his response and tried to rush me to buy. A big no no in my book.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited March 2007
    I have a D80 and love it so i am sure you will love the D200. not sure how available the 18-200 is. I know they have been on back order for over a year for some people. I had my name on a list for 8 months and never got one. they are kinda hit or miss on them still. Unless you go to BB or CC they sell it for 900 vs 700.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited March 2007
    Just ordered the d200 and I did get the 18-200mm.....From B&H...Whewwww hoooooo
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • Strong Bad
    edited March 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote:
    Just ordered the d200 and I did get the 18-200mm.....From B&H...Whewwww hoooooo

Good man! They're really great to deal with at B&H, ain't they?

Excellant choice in lens by the way.

Go here and read away...

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/

John
    No excuses!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    I bought my d70s from cameta and my ex's d70 from there as well......God, that was an expensive mistake.......At least I got the ring back. :(