Bought a new Car yesterday...

2»

Comments

• liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    Isn't the R36 a Passat?

thr Golf R36 is a Golf with the same engine as the passat. in other words VW is gonna mount the mighty R36 engine in a golf.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-golf-rabbit-r36-future.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/frankfurt/0509_volkswagen_golf_r32/

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=84346
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:

If North America gets it; it will be in the next gen Golf (MK VI) as the current R36 (3.6 litre VR6) won't fit in the current MK V Golf. Atleast that was my understanding as to why we only got the R32 GTi (in North America) this year. There were high hopes of an R36 GTi for this model year.

That Passat R36 is a very sweet sedan, pricey as hell, but very sweet!!!:D .

Also the articles you included are old news and were mostly speculation before the official annoucement to the current year R32. The R36 GTi has been rumored since the orignal R32 (MK IV) came out in 2004. We may never see it here in North America, but I can guarantee it won't be until the next gen Golf is released and that may end up being a few years away.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    Congrats on your beautiful car! I think it looks awesome. Take care of it and it will take care of you!

Someday, I might own a new car. The last new car I bought was in 1982:eek:
    Carl

• liordra
    edited March 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    If North America gets it; it will be in the next gen Golf (MK VI) as the current R36 (3.6 litre VR6) won't fit in the current MK V Golf. Atleast that was my understanding as to why we only got the R32 GTi (in North America) this year. There were high hopes of an R36 GTi for this model year.

That Passat R36 is a very sweet sedan, pricey as hell, but very sweet!!!:D .

Also the articles you included are old news and were mostly speculation before the official annoucement to the current year R32. The R36 GTi has been rumored since the orignal R32 (MK IV) came out in 2004. We may never see it here in North America, but I can guarantee it won't be until the next gen Golf is released and that may end up being a few years away.

H9

My sources informed me that the Golf R36 would be released this year.
    (I don't really have any sources (other then google that is) just a big big fan of Hot Hatch cars.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/spyshots/207438/volkswagen_golf_r36.html

BTW , why would the R36 wil not be available in North America?
    if priced reasonably it just might do very well.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    My sources informed me that the Golf R36 would be released this year.
    (I don't really have any sources (other then google that is) just a big big fan of Hot Hatch cars.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/spyshots/207438/volkswagen_golf_r36.html

BTW , why would the R36 wil not be available in North America?
    if priced reasonably it just might do very well.

I like hot hatch's as well :cool: .

If you've followed the evolution of the R32( 3.2 VR6) since about 2002 you'll note the apprehension of brining a $32K+ hatchback to the NA market. Americans are not very enthusiastic about hatchbacks because they give the apperance of being cheap and inexpensive. Not a good sell her in NA. To their suprise the 2004 R32 did quite well, albeit in a limited run of 5000 units. So the decision was made for 2006 to offer it again although it was met with the same cynicism and VW NA brass had to be coaxed into offering it again. It remains to be seen if 1) VW will continue to put dollars into bringing cars like the "R" series to NA and 2) What Audi has to offer as competition. One of a few reasons the Audi S3 ("S" version of the A3 hatchback) was not offered in NA is because of direct competition with the R32. If Audi decides to offer the S3 here in NA you can bet we won't get the next generation "R" Golf.

I already feel the R36 Passat will be in direct competition with the new Audi A5 when and if that comes to the NA market. There was also much apprehension of brining the Audi A3 to the NA market initially because of the direct competition with the Golf. Audi felt the car differerntated enough froma Golf for it to be successful; and that the Audi name was more upscale. Audi offered the 2.0 FSI Turbo and the DSG transmission in NA before VW did. I've driven both the new Golf and the Audi A3 and they feel and drive exactly the same. Other than styling differences why pay the extra 3-5K for an A3?

It still remains to be seen if we will ever get an R36 GTi. Lots of factors for them to consider which can only be decided at that time. Europe has always gotten the next generation VW before NA, the only exception being the MK V Golf, where they were introduced simultaneously. If that continues and VW can get healthy financially in the NA market we may well see some of those "R" goodies.

The major stumbling block is the American percerption of a hatchback, nevermind the fact that the "hot" hatch is going to be pushing the $35K+ market. I'd rather see VW do a 2+2 sports coupe and then put the 3.6 motor in it. :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    Also anything is possible and it's all subject to change at anytime :p . We may yet see an R36 GTi in the MK V style, but I owuldn't hold my breath :D .
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    I am thinking about heavily modding my Jetta to take a 2.7L Bi-turbo from an older S4...I would have to drop the whole drive train in there from a donor car...It would be a lot of work, but I personally think an all wheel drive 600whp Jetta would be killer.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2007
    I am thinking about heavily modding my Jetta to take a 2.7L Bi-turbo from an older S4...I would have to drop the whole drive train in there from a donor car...It would be a lot of work, but I personally think an all wheel drive 600whp Jetta would be killer.

I know you are probably not serious. But that 2.7L Bi-turbo engine from an S4 especially an early production model is a train wreck. My brother had an APR tuned 2002-S4 and I've never had more fun on 4 wheels :D . His tune was mild--stock of 250hp he bumped it to 350hp and had relatively few problems the 2 years he owned it since new. But I'm on the VWVortex forum a lot (they have Audi as well) and those motors can be money pits, especially if you are trying to run 600hp out of them. They are not very reliable and very finicky about a lot of things. A marvel of engineering, IMO, but a very complicated motor and induction system.

H9
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited March 2007
    But I worked all night and I was tired, so I told him I needed to go home and get the wife and the Scion tC and come back. Man he did NOT want me to leave.
    Congrats!

The reason he didn't want you to leave was because when prospective buyers leave a dealership they rarely come back to buy the car. He was afraid you'd start "pricing around" and find a better deal elsewhere than he gave you.

Did you test drive it first or find out how much he'd charge you for it? My bet is that you test drove it first. Talking money first then test driving it kind of puts the salesman at a disadvantage. They'd much rather you be ready to buy first than hoping the car "lives up to" what they plan to charge you for it.
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    The major stumbling block is the American percerption of a hatchback, nevermind the fact that the "hot" hatch is going to be pushing the $35K+ market. I'd rather see VW do a 2+2 sports coupe and then put the 3.6 motor in it. :D

You mean like the IROC concept? ...which is rumored to be the 2009 SCIROCCO. Best guess is that it will get a 230 hp version of the 2.0...but the R32 motor is a possiblity and...maybe...the R36.

0611_z+2008_volkswagen_scirocco+side.jpg

0611_z+2008_volkswagen_scirocco+rear.jpg

0611_z+2008_volkswagen_scirocco+front.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    That thing looks good.
    (I'd go with smaller rims though)
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2007
    Sansui wrote:
    Congrats!

The reason he didn't want you to leave was because when prospective buyers leave a dealership they rarely come back to buy the car. He was afraid you'd start "pricing around" and find a better deal elsewhere than he gave you.

Did you test drive it first or find out how much he'd charge you for it? My bet is that you test drove it first. Talking money first then test driving it kind of puts the salesman at a disadvantage. They'd much rather you be ready to buy first than hoping the car "lives up to" what they plan to charge you for it.

Oh yeah we talked numbers and I test drove it. Thing was I did not have my trade in with me, and there was no way I was going to get behind the wheel of a vehicle that I did not own....let alone since being awake since 3:30 the afternoon before. So I know he was real nervous. But when I thought about it I don't really know why because when I was there they had at least 4 people walking in inquiring about the last one left.

Reading on a few forums about the car, it looks like they may have over charged me by about 600 dollars. They added a "special" package fee. But also from what I was reading it looks like most dealerships where doing this any ways. MSRP is 28,800...so whatever. I like it...thats all that counts.

One thing I have to say is that this is the third car I have bought from the Chapman group, and I have to say their customer service is very good. I have yet to have any negative dealings with them in the year I have dealt with them.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png