Bought a new Car yesterday...

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I took my wifes 06 Beetle in for an oil change and as soon as I pulled in I saw the Fahrenheit. I about **** myself right there! I could not believe Tucson had one. So I dropped the wifes car off, and hurried over only to notice they had ANOTHER one in the SHOWROOM! So I start eying it, and they were barely open, so no one was really bothering me. I sat inside the showroom car and noticed the numbering on the steering wheel. And I just fell in love.

So finally a guy comes over and we start talking about it. And he asks if I want to drive it. Basically he knew if he could get me behind the wheel it would be sold....plus I knew that too. But I have a wife at home too, so I don't want to get divorced over a popsicle colored GTI. So I call her and she actually does not sound too upset. So I tell salesman that I will drive it, when the driving lesson was over (the car gave me a lesson) I was sold. But I worked all night and I was tired, so I told him I needed to go home and get the wife and the Scion tC and come back. Man he did NOT want me to leave. I don't blame him but I made him and the manager promise to hold the showroom GTI for 90 minutes. I told them if I am not back by **** time then they could sell it to whoever they wanted too if someone was interested. They agreed to it, and I left, the whole time on my cell phone talking the wife into letting me get it.

Very happy with the car. It is pure power on the road. I cannot believe how fast this thing goes, it makes the tC look like a turtle.

P3210019.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture004.jpg
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    Cool. I bought a new (1987) GTI when I was stationed in Germany. I still miss that car.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2007
    Yeah Steve...maybe I can drive it down to SV and go for a swim!!! LOL
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN THAT MOTOR! I had a passat turbo, and the previous owner had used regular oil. It clogs up the pickup screen, and starves the engine. The dealership tries to use blended oil on the oil changes. Make sure they use pure synthetic oil. Any dyno oil gets cooked in the turbo bearings. Enjoy, and watch that speedo. It will creep up on you!
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2007
    Yeah they told me to bring it to the shop to get oil changed...and that it does use synthetic. Thanks for the warning though Ben.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2007
    Very cool.........That 2.0FSI turbo engine is so much nicer that the old 1.8T. I have a VR6 GTI right now that I absolutely love, modded of course :D . In fact the last 7 cars I've owned have all been Volks and I've owned 3 Gti's.

That Lambo Special Ed. color is very cool. Not exactly stealth, but what law enforcement is going to think a VW is a hot/racy/quick car. You might still be able to fly a bit under the radar. They are a pure joy to drive, very high on the fun factor!!!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN THAT MOTOR! I had a passat turbo, and the previous owner had used regular oil. It clogs up the pickup screen, and starves the engine. The dealership tries to use blended oil on the oil changes. Make sure they use pure synthetic oil. Any dyno oil gets cooked in the turbo bearings. Enjoy, and watch that speedo. It will creep up on you!
    Ben

To be accurate the motor you had was the 1.8T which is known to have sludge issues if proper maint. isn't followed. The new 2.0FSI turbo is a completely different motor and the jusy is still out on this motor :o .

Synthetic, IMO, is the only way to go. Just make sure atleast thru the warranty it meets VW's specific parameters. There are certain specific requirements specified in the maint. manual. Also if you got the DSG tranny the jury is still out on that unit as far as cost of maint. on that unit. I'd err on the side of over maint. which I've heard can be quite pricey.

If you aren't aware here is a great site which covers all the bases you could probably think of.

www.vwvortex.com

The info is off the charts.........as usual about 60-70% is BS, but the other 30-40% is very informative and helpful. It's a great tool.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    I WANT ONE! I miss my Wolfsburg Edition GLI. That was a sweet ride.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited March 2007
    Leather, nice. Thanks it's now on our PC background.:D
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2007
    Very nice! Congrats on the new ride.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2007
    very sharp and nice color.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    Yeah Steve...maybe I can drive it down to SV and go for a swim!!! LOL

I'll host a "Arizona Polkheads" party sometime this summer...stay tuned
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    F'in sweet. Now if they would just bring the 30th edition here, I would be in plaid heaven
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited March 2007
    Wow, I hadn't even heard about these, very nice!

Before I got my 03 Jetta, I had an 07 Rabbit. Ended up having to trade it in cuz the wife's car was on its last leg and couldn't afford two new car payments. Since then, I've really admired the GTIs. Dang, that Fahrenheit is sexy. Well done.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    Sweet.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    That car is hot, man. I am looking for AWD commuter car right now and am pretty set on the Subaru Outback sedan (not the wagon), but this makes me think harder............................though the price tag might keep me from it!

That car is a head turner for sure. 200HP in that thing!!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    Nice car! Just for my own info what is the deal with it? High performance?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    madmax wrote:
    Nice car! Just for my own info what is the deal with it? High performance?
    madmax

It is the GTI with a special appearance package. Lamborgini color, leather heated seats, 18" wheels, sunroof, special steering wheel and along with various package specific trim and badging. You are probably paying a couple grand over what the standard GTI similarly optioned would be. Only 1200 made. There are no performance tweeks over the GTI.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    There will also be a Lamborgini Yellow Fahrenheit GLI with pretty much the same trim. Limited to 1200 as well.

2007-volkswagen-jetta-fahrenheit-gli-scn-net-063.jpg

Or a special edition triple white New Beetle convertible...

2007-volkswagen-triple-white-new-beetle-convertible-scn-net-008.jpg

• shack
    edited March 2007
    If you want a high performance VEE-DUB you get the R32...

golfr3206-04.jpg

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited March 2007
    Wow, congrats on the new ride. Beautiful stuff. The woman and I bought a 2004 Passat 1.8t brand new about a month after we had graduated from college. I loooove that ride, but have been pondering trading in my old acura on something. Now you've sparked my interest.....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    If you want a high performance VEE-DUB you get the R32...

golfr3206-04.jpg

Good luck getting one of these.....I think they are all sold through deposit already....:(
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    Good luck getting one of these.....I think they are all sold through deposit already....:(

the R36 is gonna hit the stores in 3 month. 300 bhp.
    It is supposed to be unveiled in the frankfurt car show.
    one of the nicest toys in the Euro hot hatch market segment.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    the R36 is gonna hit the stores in 3 month. 300 bhp.
    It is supposed to be unveiled in the frankfurt car show.
    one of the nicest toys in the Euro hot hatch market segment.
    Isn't the R36 a Passat?
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Isn't the R36 a Passat?

No, it's a GTI. And I believe it's a R32, not R36. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 200HP regular GTI is flipping sweet. Probably the most fun I've ever had while drive a little 2 door under 25K.

I just drove by our VW dealership by my house, and I noticed they had the Fahrenheit edition sitting out front as well. What a beautiful color. Good steal man! Now ya just gotta tweak that bad boy.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• MrNightly
    edited March 2007
    I took my wifes 06 Beetle in for an oil change and as soon as I pulled in I saw the Fahrenheit. I about **** myself right there! I could not believe Tucson had one. So I dropped the wifes car off, and hurried over only to notice they had ANOTHER one in the SHOWROOM! So I start eying it, and they were barely open, so no one was really bothering me. I sat inside the showroom car and noticed the numbering on the steering wheel. And I just fell in love.

So finally a guy comes over and we start talking about it. And he asks if I want to drive it. Basically he knew if he could get me behind the wheel it would be sold....plus I knew that too. But I have a wife at home too, so I don't want to get divorced over a popsicle colored GTI. So I call her and she actually does not sound too upset. So I tell salesman that I will drive it, when the driving lesson was over (the car gave me a lesson) I was sold. But I worked all night and I was tired, so I told him I needed to go home and get the wife and the Scion tC and come back. Man he did NOT want me to leave. I don't blame him but I made him and the manager promise to hold the showroom GTI for 90 minutes. I told them if I am not back by **** time then they could sell it to whoever they wanted too if someone was interested. They agreed to it, and I left, the whole time on my cell phone talking the wife into letting me get it.

Very happy with the car. It is pure power on the road. I cannot believe how fast this thing goes, it makes the tC look like a turtle.

So, I assume it's DSG with paddle shifters?!?

Isn't that the sweetest technology ever? Totally smooth and bad to the bone. 0-60 without ever feeling the car change gears. Just so unbelievably smooth.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• shack
    edited March 2007
    Isn't the R36 a Passat?
    Yes it is....

2007-volkswagen-passat-r36-scn-net-1440.jpg

And you will be able to get it as a 300hp Sportwagon (Estate Version in VW terms) as well...Which I like better than the sedan.

2007-volkswagen-passat-r36-scn-net-1447.jpg

• MrNightly
    edited March 2007
    I stand corrected.

http://www.germancarblog.com/2006/04/vw-golf-r36-expected-early-2007.html is where I thought it was a GTI.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Bill Ayotte
    edited March 2007
    That wagon is sexy as hell.....I would run to the dealership now if there was a R model Jetta/Jetta Wagon.......I came so close to buying a 1.8T Jetta wagon, and them the guy tried to bone me on it.....Too bad...:(
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    So, I assume it's DSG with paddle shifters?!?

Isn't that the sweetest technology ever? Totally smooth and bad to the bone. 0-60 without ever feeling the car change gears. Just so unbelievably smooth.

YEah the paddles are on the steering wheel, it is fantastic on straight aways, but in turns you have to have you hand on the shifter because the paddles turn with the steering wheel.

OR you just put the damn thing in sport mode, and it shifts 800 below redline in 1-5.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    Cool car, and I'm not surprised they had one or two here, we've become a place of very quiet money. I saw a new Mustang with a 427 in it yesterday, and I keep trying to convince my wife she needs one for her next car. The problem there is she's sold on Corolla's.

I think that Mustang would look great in the driveway next to my almost new F-150.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.