What products can you imagine with the Polk Audio brand?

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    +1 on the lab coats. Stick to the speakers. bring back the SDA's, I've got a killer idea on an SDA sat system.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited March 2007
    One more higher classed speaker line above the LSi. Something in the range of $3500.00+ bucks.. Im not saying bring back the SRT, but something a little closer to the "hi-fi" realm.

Josh
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    I think if there were in integrated amp OPTION for the LSI series that would be great. As stated above they demo with receivers, and just don't sound good. I heard some LSI's at a retailer, and they sounded like crap compared to lesser speakers do to the requirements that LSI's have for high currant. I would also included some IC cables for use with the internal Amps(strong construction, good sound).
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2007
    Surely with today's electronics Polk could make some wifi SDA's that need didn't the connecting cable. Also with the electronics maybe Polk could kinda toe-nail in some side-firing drivers to accomplish the SDA but keep the width to only slightly wider than average with 6-7 inch drivers.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    Maybe select the next generation wide screen TV and integrate the Surround bar technology into it. Great picture and sound in one package.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2007
    You guys aren't thinking far enough outta the box...................I think a Polk Audio/Victoria's Secret venture into a new realm of personal audio indulgences would be great.

Who needs headphones when they could have a "Braudio" with adequate padding for your head to rest on and make the women in our lives bear the burden of carrying it with them. For those that don't wear that type of upper garment, there could be the lower version built into a thong (yet to be named) that would serve a similar purpose when we're face down in her lap awaiting our shoulder massage.

Come guys, think harder....................Edison, Bell, Marconi, and Einstein didn't give up on the first try......:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    Maybe select the next generation wide screen TV and integrate the Surround bar technology into it. Great picture and sound in one package.

A great idea for small bedrooms.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    An upgrade path for speakers would be nice. So I buy my lsi9's and later want to upgrade so I buy the gold plated plug-in crossover board with upgraded caps and precision resistors, maybe the plate with cardas connectors, different color panels including fine woods, grille covers with special cloth, etc.

PS: I still want polk headphones in the worst way. :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2007

Great Idea IMO.

Really, marketing is Polk's biggest problem. I remember when I was younger and being blown away at one of Bose's stores that had a surround sound demo. Of course, the only thing special about it was that it was properly set up. I wouls love a Polk Audio store in some of the outlet type malls (only place I've seen Bose stores). Polk can control all testing conditions and be sure the speakers sound their best. If that won't win over people then I don't know what will.

Bose has a large market share because it is perceived as a high-end product. If Polk would mention the use of high quality components (vifa tweeters) and even throw out some "techno mumbo jumbo" like frequency response etc. then many people would become intrigued.

Bose advertises in Parade, that supplement thing that comes in newspapers. Imagine a Polk ad in there with something like "A Speaker Buying Guide" with things such as what the human ear can hear and what Polks can do; what really matters in a speaker and how Polks achieve all of this.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    Agreed about the marketing. Since Polk is now a part of a much larger company who advertises the hell out of their Def Tech speakers, they can surely send some of that money Polk's way to get them more exposure!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited March 2007
    Some high quality amps would be nice. I would hate to see them come out with something that lower them to say a Sony level quality. something along the price line of Outlaw or maybe Anthem.

As far as marketing goes, I have a feeling we are answering questions now because they plan to boost the level of marketing in the near future.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    POLK AUDIO... FOR EARS THAT KNOW(work on peoples ego type thing)
    POLK AUDIO... FOR EARS THAT HAVE TASTE
    slogan contest next maybe?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    1. I'd like to see Polk get back into computer speakers. The ones that I've had the opportunity to hear sounded great, and I'd like to see them compete with the Klipsch and Logitech all-in-one systems.

2. I'd like to see some more available schwag. Hats are cool and all... but I'd love to rock a Polk Audio license plate on my car without having to have it made illegally :X

3. I agree that throwing some money at dedicated Polk stores might be a good idea. Not too many to start, of course. We do have to look at what Gateway did... they had big box stores all over the place, and rather quickly shut every one of them down because they weren't making money. That's all well and good for computers, that you can easily blind-buy online based on specs, but with speakers, I want to HEAR them before I buy. Have Polk outlets would allow the company to set things up the way they should be, and power the speakers with what they should be powered with. Just a thought.... It might not be a huge cash outlay if you try one in B-More. Close to home, and the higher-ups can keep an eye on things easily :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Polkersince85
    edited March 2007
    What about a digital SDA effect. With digital broadcasting up and coming, develop a "system" of broadcasting a SDA type signal received on a decoder circuit. Could be built into all types of sound systems and played through Polk SDA type speaker systems. Market the design to Bose.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2007
    speakers
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    What do you guys think about the little Polk Ipod accessories like little speakers and such?
    I never heard any. I think that stuff just looks cheesy, not up to Polk quality standards. I'd just hate to see a company that has put out real nice sounding stuff turn to mass market appeal, and not have the quality we all know and love.

Thanks Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    What about a digital SDA effect. With digital broadcasting up and coming, develop a "system" of broadcasting a SDA type signal received on a decoder circuit. Could be built into all types of sound systems and played through Polk SDA type speaker systems. Market the design to Bose.

Carver holography, its already taken. I spent tons of time building an electronic crossover/channel/phase shifting box to discover that is was Carver had already done.:(
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Polkersince85
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Carver holography, its already taken.:(

I'm thinking real SDA drivers doing the duty. Still within the SDA design.
    >
    >
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited March 2007
    My thoughts:

1) Advanced Design Speakers - get away from the boxes. Make something that has WAF and looks modern. Front speakers should be art. Surround speakers can be long. Be innovative. More colors. More choices.
    2) Different Speaker Platforms - Phased Array, electrostatic, etc. AV123 has speakers of mixed types and looks.
    3) Wireless Speakers - No one has perfected this niche in the market. No wires to string and can be placed anywhere.
    4) Room Treatments - with advertising and some creativity in style, this could really take off in the HT market
    5) Headphones/Earphones - Appeals to the audiophiles, ipoders, and those that just do not want to wake the family but still want to rock.

Notice I stuck with speakers and speaker related items. Concentrate on what you do best and just make it better.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    1. Polk-Pod (IPod) knock off.

2. gaming console

3. home amps

4. need to get a major contract with the likes of Ford motor company for example. and supply all the car audio speakers and amps for all Ford vehicles. Like Bose did with whatever maker they partnered with.

5. donuts!!! :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited March 2007
    I think stick with what you know.... speakers. It would be very intresting to see some new lines. Perhaps bring back the SDA but in a slimmer more waf design. With the high quality drivers being used in the lsi series it would be a real treat to see newly designed SDA speakers.

I also have to agree with the former responses regarding making certain that shop owners that demo the lsi line to use high current amps instead of receivers.

I was in the market for a pair of lsi 15s a year or so ago and listened to a pair because I have always liked polks and they had won the golden ear award etc. But they were hooked up to a Sony reciever and sounded awful, and I thought to myself how did these win any kind of award? I wound up buying a used pair of SDA SRS 1.2tls instead of getting new polks because of this.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    My opinion?

I like the whole concept of system/whole house integration. IP addressable speakers and things of that genre. Things that simplify/enhance the use of Polk speakers. SDA-type in walls......

I like the XM tuna and I think that's another good avenue.....software delivery...ie music servers and so forth.

I would also like to see a STATEMENT speaker. Something limited production but a real no ****, spare-no-expense speaker.

Things I would NOT like to see. Polk amps, preamps etc etc....this market already HAS a lot to offer.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    What do you guys think about the little Polk Ipod accessories like little speakers and such?
    I never heard any. I think that stuff just looks cheesy, not up to Polk quality standards. I'd just hate to see a company that has put out real nice sounding stuff turn to mass market appeal, and not have the quality we all know and love.

Thanks Ben

You might give them a listen. For what it is, the myDock is fabulous as is the iSonic and XM tuna.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    4. need to get a major contract with the likes of Ford motor company for example. and supply all the car audio speakers and amps for all Ford vehicles. Like Bose did with whatever maker they partnered with.

5. donuts!!! :p;)

I was thinking about number 4 also this morning while blasting my way up the highway to work. One easy way to get exposure and make a few bucks at the same time is have your gear used as an OEM solution in a new car. I mean Polk already has car speaker and amplifier technology. Partner with Alpine or Kenwood and make the "premium" systems for cars. Ford would be a great opportunity because even thier stock JBL and Pioneer systems are junk.

I also fully support number 5 and if donuts are not available, I move to substitute bagels!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    maybe diversify your product line, electronics,, headphone, whatever, but perhaps a different brandname so the name "Polkaudio" doesnt get diluted.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited March 2007
    You guys aren't thinking far enough outta the box...................I think a Polk Audio/Victoria's Secret venture into a new realm of personal audio indulgences would be great.

Who needs headphones when they could have a "Braudio" with adequate padding for your head to rest on and make the women in our lives bear the burden of carrying it with them. For those that don't wear that type of upper garment, there could be the lower version built into a thong (yet to be named) that would serve a similar purpose when we're face down in her lap awaiting our shoulder massage.

Come guys, think harder....................Edison, Bell, Marconi, and Einstein didn't give up on the first try......:D

I believe Nikolai Tesla was working on this concept at the time of his death: the forerunner of the "BRAudio" ? Notice they're wireless.

snowcones.jpg

I'd suggest treading carefully in the field of electronics (amps/pre's/AVR's) etc. If it worked, it would work great. If it didn't, than .... OUCH.

Concentrate on product placement and advertising.
    Sal Palooza
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited March 2007
    A statement speaker that says we haven't forgot what got us here. Maybe something for a company anniversary like Ferrari (F40, F50, ENZO)
    Multi media computer audio systems
    Headphones
    Whole house wireless audio distribution system (multi zone)
    Acoustical treatments, (wall panels, bass traps, etc..)
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • bradm6406
    bradm6406 Posts: 39
    edited March 2007
    How about a line of really good subs. I have never heard a Polk sub, but over and over again on these forums I hear people recommending SVS or HSU subs.

It's not an overly exciting or new idea, but with such great sounding speakers it would be nice to have great sounding subs to go with them.

Brad
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2007
    KAB - I have sold off some items to make room for the LSi11s. Please send a pair at your earliest convenience so I can begin demo-ing process.

Thanks!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2007
    Hardly a day goes by that some in my store doesn't ask for wireless surround sound. Sure you've got the surround bar, but it doesn't always work for the room and it's kinda big for some people. Why not make something you can add-on to someone's existing system for wireless transmission and amplification for rear speakers. Sell it separately for a couple hundred. And then prepackage it with the RM speakers for extra value.

TV stands, audio racks, speakers stands: You already make speaker cabs. Why not expand the wood shop a bit? "Oh you are buying the new RTiA speakers with your new tv? Let me show you Polk's new tv stand that has the same beautiful real wood veneer." How about making a tv stand with a surround bar built into it? Have you seen Sony's tv stand with a sound system? It f*cking blows beyond belief. How can you NOT stomp it into the ground? And I know you have the SA2 speaker stands, but I want wood stands for the bigger bookshelf speakers. Plus all the stands have fat margin.

Plasma/lcd frames: Lots of people are hanging their shiny new flat panels. Why not make them look pretty, especially the flush mounted ones? Probably wouldn't take to much imagination to incorporate some LCi's or a surroundbar into a frame either. Lift consoles could fit in here too.