fuel efficient car for high highway mileage.

13»

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    My wife saw those in Europe and wants one in the worst way. May just have to do it as her commute is about 40 miles each way.
    My wife saw one down in Cozumel and liked it so much she took a picture. When it's time to get rid of her Element she says it's between a Mini and maybe a Smart if she likes what she sees.

As far as the Smart safety issue, they may be small but are built with a very strong cage, double reinforced doors and airbags all around. It has one of the best reliabity records in Europe as well. Not really a highway car (one tester said it reminded him of the old VW Beetles on the interstate) but it might make a great little in town commuter.

He is the pic:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Your wife to huh? We got a picture of my wife "hugging" some random one that's parked. It looks like the US version is a foot or two longer than the Euro one.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »
    My wife saw one down in Cozumel and liked it so much she took a picture. When it's time to get rid of her Element she says it's between a Mini and maybe a Smart if she likes what she sees.

As far as the Smart safety issue, they may be small but are built with a very strong cage, double reinforced doors and airbags all around. It has one of the best reliabity records in Europe as well. Not really a highway car (one tester said it reminded him of the old VW Beetles on the interstate) but it might make a great little in town commuter.

Hey Shack, get the Smart and put it in the back of the Element as an escape pod.:D
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    venomclan wrote:
    Hey Shack, get the Smart and put it in the back of the Element as an escape pod.:D

Now that would be cool! Stuck in traffic...whip open the back doors and out comes the Smart to cut in between cars and get to the meeting on time.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    Test drove a TDI and they seem very proud of them here. It was a nice car, but they did not deal off of sticker at all on them. ($26,800 or so purchase price)

They did have a 2001 that I could have purchased, but it had over 100,000 miles on it and they still wanted $14,000 for it. For the $19,000-$20,000 difference between what I got and the new one, I can get alot of gas. (plus there is no way for me to lose over $8,000 on the one I purchased. I can sell just the body for $500 around here.)

I know the TDI's are supposed to be nice cars, but I have never owned a desil, and I was just not sure about spending that much on a used car with over 100,000 miles on it. (not sure what maint. you have to do at 100k miles)

Michael

Michael, you said you wanted something reliable and relatively easy to maintain, and you're looking at VWs?! Granted there are exceptions, as I'm sure many VW lovers on this very forum will jump down my throat, but I can't think of any car company besides Saab that has a worse overall maintenance outlook than a VW. My dad works with a lot of mechanics, and he's yet to find one that would buy a VW, just because of all the maintenance and reliability nightmares that go along with them. Even mechanics that WORK FOR VW say they wouldn't buy them. I strongly recommend staying away.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    edited April 2007
    My GLI never gave me any trouble for the 108,000 miles I drove before I traded it. I would buy another one.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Michael, you said you wanted something reliable and relatively easy to maintain, and you're looking at VWs?! Granted there are exceptions, as I'm sure many VW lovers on this very forum will jump down my throat, but I can't think of any car company besides Saab that has a worse overall maintenance outlook than a VW. My dad works with a lot of mechanics, and he's yet to find one that would buy a VW, just because of all the maintenance and reliability nightmares that go along with them. Even mechanics that WORK FOR VW say they wouldn't buy them. I strongly recommend staying away.

As a strong VW enthusiast and long time owner. There is some truth to what you say on a general level. It really depends on how they are maintained and driven. I;ve found since many of the younger population 18-24 make up a large segment of VW drivers (in general) they tend to beat the snot out of the cars and try to do repairs (of which they have no idea how to do) themselves.

For me the fun factor far outweighs the reliability factor. I've researched them & owned and I am aware of the typical issues (of which there are more than avg.) and plan accordingly. If you are looking for a dead relaible car you can drive for years w/o issues stay away from any European cars, period!!!! I don't care if they are owned by an American company or not. Mercedes, Jag, Audi, VW, Porsche, BMW all have certain areas that tend to be weak points and/or are extremely costly to repair. They are certainly a lot of fun to drive however.

If you plan on doing religious maintenance, having it garage kept and not beating the snot out of it too badly, then chances are you will have a very fun reliable car.

Just my .02c

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!