fuel efficient car for high highway mileage.

Comments

• Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited March 2007
    Shack and Madmax,

Don't forget to add in maintenance costs to that overall savings figure. The price of replacing one tire on that charger will probably pay for all four on a new honda. Insurance costs will most probably be much lower for an economy car as opposed to a sports car. You just cannot look at the price of gas alone to do this comparison.

Good luck on your search, McLoki. You have lots of good choices pointed out in this thread and many more not even mentioned yet. I am in agreement with most here to stay away from the hybrids and stick with a very reliable brand like Toyota or Honda.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2007
    You drive ~30k miles going to work alone, plus all the other driving so wouldn't 40k miles a year be more like it?
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2007
    I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry LE with 4 cylinder/auto and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is the second worst congested metro area (1st being Washington DC) and I commute during typical commute hours. With that in mind, I average about 27 mpg.....which is not bad considering the size of the car. With over 90,000 miles, I have yet to experience a mechanical problem.

Here in the Bay Area, you can pick up a new 2007 Toyota Camry LE for under $20K. Keep in mind this is a car with 7 airbags, ABS brakes, and more horsepower than my 2001....yet it will get higher mpg. You should seriously look into the Camry.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited March 2007
    Call a Limo....show up in style....no gas,no worry's
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    I can't help with any of the other cars mentioned but if you have any specific questions about an xB feel free to PM.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    I will chime in with my vote for the Toyota Yaris. I got the gar for 15k brand new loaded. I gets me on average 38mpg as a have a lead foot but have goten over 40. Its a comfy car and I was able to fit in it. I almost bout the Scion Xb untill I sat in the Yaris. Its great on long rides as I took it to last years PF and cruies over 1000 miles each way without a problem. Good luck and congrats on the job.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2007
    Looked at the TDI but the price is a little higher than I would like to go. I can get a new 06 for about 24K (manual transmission), and they have one 2002 with 98,000miles on it for 13K. Between me and my new job is about 50miles of cornfield. If the car breaks down, I am stuck and towing will be expensive. That is the main reason that I am looking at new or just a few years old. From everything I have looked at 2005 and up (with less than 40,000 miles) they seem to want within 1-2k of the sticker price of a new car.

I guess small cars are just holding their value right now. I have a car I love to drive, but it will depreciate quickly as the miles start to rack up on it. If I end up staying with the charger, that is fine, but I can't drive it a year and then trade it in with 60k miles on it - I will lose thousands more than I already stand to lose by trading it.

The TDi makes the most sense for the driving that I need to do, but from a cost (and utility) standpoint, the xB is about the top contender right now if I don't just stay with the charger.

I feel like nomatter what I choose, I will lose my **** on the deal. Just not a grand position to be in. (then again - I get to go to a new job for more money so I should be able to afford either move - I just hate buying anything where I don't feel like I am getting a great deal.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited March 2007
    TDI all the way...

I have had mine since 2001 and bought it because Gasoline was going up to 1.85 a gallon back then while diesel was $1.30. Those were the days…

Anyway, stats vary based on driving style but here is what I get after 130000 miles on a manual transmission TDI…

- About 50 MPG
    - 680 - 700 Miles per tank on average, 725 is the most on one tank.
    - The car is not fast, however, the added torque of the diesel and the turbo helps me maintain 70-85 mph on the interstate with very little throttle. It just takes a while to get there:D I have had it up to 105 on the Jersey TP.

My brother bought his at the same time and he has 240000 on his. Our issues with the cars have been very similar. Known Issues: Power Windows break until they replace everything, rear taillights always go out until they perform the recall & you’ll need a new fuel pump after about 200k which is not cheap.

If HP is an issue, you can make your TDI perform as they do in Europe by spending about 2K on the European Turbo and injectors. It boosts the HP to 150 from 90 and with the help of a chip re-program; the car will easily get over 200HP while sacrificing nothing in MPG. Not bad from a 1.8L

No new TDI’s are being sold in 2007 because of new Gov’t standards but VW will have them ready by 08.

Good Luck!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    My wife drives a 98 Corolla. I'd reccomend one, and she wants to replace it with another one.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I can't help with any of the other cars mentioned but if you have any specific questions about an xB feel free to PM.
    madmax

http://www.scionlife.com/

Head there if you have any questions about Scion XB's also. They are coming out with the new XB's later this year, and you can see the model on the main page. Comes with some nice options like the lowering kit, and nicer wheels, and they are upgrading the engine to the tC engine (which is basically the 4cylinder Camry engine)

Also the Scion xD is coming out, and they look to be real sharpe too. It's just an upgrade from the xA. They get about 32-35 mpg highway.

If your looking for something sportier then I would suggest the Scion tC. That is what I own and I love it! Very fuel efficient also. I average about 28 mpg Highway/city.

The Scion community is really growing with a lot of meet and greets in every region. It's really a fun community to be apart of. Here are some pics from the NOPI races in Phoenix last weekend...
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=166791

Here is my tC....
    32221_1.jpg
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • madmax
    edited March 2007
    Every morning since I got my xB I've been excited to get up and drive to work. Let me tell you, that hasn't happened much since I first got my license 30 years ago. :)
    madmax

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    With all the love given for the imports here...(and I've mentioned a couple) I'm going to give a shout for my domestic ride. A 2003 Focus ZX5. I've got 75,000 miles on it. Just now put on new brakes. The only issue I've encountered was a leak in the heater core which was fixed under warranty and a bad coil wire and sensor. I get 27-29 mp around town and 35± mpg highway. Fully loaded it was several thousand dollars cheaper than any of the imports I looked at. The Zetec engine is a Mazda design and pretty reliable. Fold down the rear seats and it can hold a bunch of stuff. Just ask Doro. When I left his house, I had my suitcase, golf clubs and a boxed pair of SDA 1Cs in the back with room to spare. :D The Focus generally gets good reviews for reliabilty and is really a pretty fun car to drive for an "economy" car.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited March 2007
    Except the resale value on Focuses is total crap.
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    Except the resale value on Focuses is total crap.

Not a problem if you drive the wheels off of them like I do. I rarely sell a car before it is 6+ years old and 120,000+ miles. I bought it right, so even with high miles it's only depreciated $6,000± in 4 years. I still owe just a little, so even if I traded today I would have a few thousand towards the next one. As long as I'm never upside down I'm ok. For me daily drivers are not an investment. They are a disposable commodity.

Now toys (like my Mustangs and Galaxie)...that's different.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Sami
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    With all the love given for the imports here...
    FYI, the Focus is of import origin, developed by Ford of Europe. That's propably why it is also much more fun to drive than Ford's in general. Yes, the ones sold here are built in Michigan so it's not an import but some of pre-2006's are built in Mexico.

;)
  • shack
    edited March 2007
    Sami wrote:
    FYI, the Focus is of import origin, developed by Ford of Europe. That's propably why it is also much more fun to drive than Ford's in general. Yes, the ones sold here are built in Michigan so it's not an import but some of pre-2006's are built in Mexico.

;)

I was referring to the parent. Most Toyotas and Hondas sold in the US are made in the US, but I still consider them an import based on Japanese ownership.

• Sami
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    I was referring to the parent. Most Toyotas and Hondas sold in the US are made in the US, but I still consider them an import based on Japanese ownership.
    How about Saab? Import or domestic? Volvo? :D

Anyways, if cost and miles are a concern, buy an older car with low miles. In a few years you put the miles where they should be and you don't lose much if you decide to sell it.
  • McLoki
    edited March 2007
    MadMax - PM sent.
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • McLoki
    edited April 2007
    Well purchased a 1999 ford crown victoria - Not the most fuel efficient I know (should get about 25mpg on the highway) , but got it at a darn good price. It only has 29,000 original miles on it and was $8,500 out the door from the dealer. (including taxes and plates) Should be a nice cheap car to put a ton of miles on.

Now - anyone want to purchase a charger???

Michael
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Well purchased a 1999 ford crown victoria - Not the most fuel efficient I know (should get about 25mpg on the highway) , but got it at a darn good price. It only has 29,000 original miles on it and was $8,500 out the door from the dealer. (including taxes and plates) Should be a nice cheap car to put a ton of miles on.

Michael
    Crown Vics are a nice comfy ride. The back seats are nice too:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited April 2007
    McLoki wrote:

Michael

Well looks like you got a nice price on it. Maybe not the best mileage but will be very comfortable, kinda like sitting on your sofa with a steering wheel
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2007
    we own 2 cars with over 220k miles a 92 twin turbo stealth 22mpg freeway aka a mits in descise and a 98 lexus es 300 250k about 33 mpg freeway and i just got a is250 awd and clames 28 or so mpg freeway will be testing that next week with my trip to florda
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    Go test drive a VW Jetta TDI. That thing still have a bunch of spunk, will get you over 45mph on the Highway, and is extremely comfy. They can be had for just around 20K new, and the new models are super dependable.

Give it a whirl, see if it tickles your fancy. The money you save on gas, will more than pay for itself in the long run!

+1

That is a fun little car. Especially with the 5spd.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • McLoki
    edited April 2007
    Test drove a TDI and they seem very proud of them here. It was a nice car, but they did not deal off of sticker at all on them. ($26,800 or so purchase price)

They did have a 2001 that I could have purchased, but it had over 100,000 miles on it and they still wanted $14,000 for it. For the $19,000-$20,000 difference between what I got and the new one, I can get alot of gas. (plus there is no way for me to lose over $8,000 on the one I purchased. I can sell just the body for $500 around here.)

I know the TDI's are supposed to be nice cars, but I have never owned a desil, and I was just not sure about spending that much on a used car with over 100,000 miles on it. (not sure what maint. you have to do at 100k miles)

Michael
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2007
    Just saw this; congrats on the new job Michael, and congrats on the new car; people will slow down when they see you coming ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    petrym wrote:
    Get a Smart Car!

My wife saw those in Europe and wants one in the worst way. May just have to do it as her commute is about 40 miles each way.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    petrym wrote:
    Get a Smart Car!
    It s quicker just to stick a gun to your head and pull the trigger. I would not want to hit ice/snow with that thing never mind any sort of accident.:eek:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • madmax
    edited April 2007
    Congrats! I hope it serves you well.
    madmax

• m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    I know the TDI's are supposed to be nice cars, but I have never owned a diesel, and I was just not sure about spending that much on a used car with over 100,000 miles on it. (not sure what maint. you have to do at 100k miles) Michael

Maintenance is everything to a diesel. You have to change the oil every 3-5K. Gas engines with Synthetic oil can slip a little and usually will do no harm depending upon the type of driving you do such as all highway miles. Air filters must be changed also at that time. Fuel filters must be changed every 3rd oil change. Those little engines have like 20:1 compression ratio, which is about double any standard gas engine. What does that mean? Well if you check the oil immediately after an oil change, the oil is black as soot within a minute. Repeated lack of oil change means imminent Turbo replacement.

After 100K you would have to get the timing belt changed if it has not already been changed. Injectors & glo plugs would need changed at around 130K. Some claim a new fuel pump after 200K. Check out Fred’s TDI club for all the info you would ever need on VW TDI cars. Great site and offers a wealth of information. Much like this one!

All of the Maint between 100 & 200K mentioned above is roughly 3K paying someone to do it. A little cheaper if you are handy with tools.

14K is too much for a used one. The reason they are asking that much is because of the fuel mileage and the fact that the # of TDI’s are limited. They only make up about 5-10% of the VW Jetta Population and I believe there are no 2007 TDI Jettas due to the Gov’t emission standards for Diesels(VW could not meet the demand in time). They will be back in 2008. Once the new ones come out, the older ones will return to normal value.