FS: Modwright SWL 9.0SE

Options
Gaara
Gaara Posts: 2,415
edited April 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
SOLD

Its finally time to sell my beloved pre. My Modwright SWL 9.0SE was purchased 8/3/2005 directly from Dan Wright. I have been the sole owner and user of this unit, it has been used in a smoke and pet free home until roughly September 2006. At this point it was removed for a month or so, then put back in, then removed again in late December and has been boxed up ever since.

Condition is very good, probably a 8/10. Everything looks good except the bottom is scuffed up and there is a slight imperfection up top. Apparently the Vibrapods Cones I was using rubbed the bottom the wrong way and left it with the rub marks. Internally I did some tweaking, this unit includes Herbies tube dampers and lots of dynamat extreme. I have older pic, I did some more chassis dampening, dampened the transformer, as well as the capacitors to reduce microphonics.

Price is $1250 shipped to your door in contiguous US. I will accept money orders, cashiers checks, personal checks, or paypal (add 1.5%). I will only sell to members with 25 or more posts with good feedback here or elsewhere (agon, ebay). I have feedback here, on Audiogon (Gaara) and on Ebay (Gaara_925)

Now you may be wondering what I replaced it with, since this is a giant killer of a pre. Well long story short (if you want to see the long story see here for the short version and here for the long) this pre just doesn't work in my system. If you are interested in my original impressions with my LSi systems you can read them here.

Well thats that, any questions feel free to pm me or post them here. Thanks.

Jared

SOLD

2772072000069106632S600x600Q85.jpg

2997078430069106632S600x600Q85.jpg

2785510890069106632S600x600Q85.jpg

2548141570069106632S600x600Q85.jpg

2163629940069106632S600x600Q85.jpg

2978778010069106632S600x600Q85.jpg
Post edited by Gaara on

Comments

• Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Good price on a sweet preamp. Of course I'm just a little biased :D

For more information, here's a link to the 6moons review of this preamp:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright/swl9se.html
  • Gaara
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Wow alot of polk users have this pre. Thanks for the link Normanality.

Forgot to add that I have the remote and manual(3 hole pucnhed) for this unit.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I have heard this pre at SCompRacer's and it is sweet. Great price! Good luck!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Gaara
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks Halo.

I'm surprised no bites yet just a couple of weeks ago I saw one go for $1500 plus shipping.

I will now open it up to any polk members the only requirement is 25 posts and good feedback (here, on Agon, or Ebay).
  • Gaara
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Amazed my dynamated LSiFxs sold in less then 6 hours but this has been up here over 10 days.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,370
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I like my SWL 9.0SE so much it is going back to Dan to be converted to an SWLP 9.0SE (internal tube phono stage added) with external tube rectified power supply. Good luck with the sale.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Gaara
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Dan's got all kinds of new stuff coming out. The tube rectified power supply looked interesting, but the cost is a little rich for me. Buying this originally was out of my budget...with the extras it gets a little crazy. Still can't believe the newest unit is $4995.
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Price drop to $1350 shipped and now accepting paypal with split fees, add 1.5% for paypal.
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Price drop to $1300 shipped! Will be putting this on Agon come Friday.
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Well I'm surprised, 1 month later and only one inquiry but no actual bites.

Off to Agon
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    One more little price recesion. Still can't figure out why I can't sell mine yet two have gone on agon for $1450+ in the last few weeks.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Incredible.

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS PRICE!!!!!

I just can't believe no one has bought this yet :confused::confused:

If I wasn't plain broke after my latest audio adventures I'd buy this right now..

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote: »
    Incredible.

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS PRICE!!!!!

I just can't believe no one has bought this yet :confused::confused:

If I wasn't plain broke after my latest audio adventures I'd buy this right now..
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said! Geez, if I only had the cash! I'm completely tapped out right now :(
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I'm tempted,, so glad it has a silver face,,I need black :cool:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm trying to offer the best deals for polkies but I'm not getting any bites and im not sure why.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Bad time to sell, it's tax time. Folks who have refunds coming got theirs and spent it. Folks who owe, well they can't buy right now.:( Have you noticed some run of the mill eBay items are going pretty cheap?

Keep the faith Jared, one of our polkies will buy it. You're offering it at a very good price!:)
    Carl

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Jared - You might want to tweak that advertisment overall as it doesn't read well to me personally. You may have taken some additional time to properly install that Dynamat as well. Just an observation.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    edited April 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Jared - You might want to tweak that advertisment overall as it doesn't read well to me personally. You may have taken some additional time to properly install that Dynamat as well. Just an observation.

Mark

Good advice! Also, use Photobucket or a similiar service. Splash big colorful pic's of that bad **** pre-amp on the post, thumb nails suck. IMHO.

Carl
    Carl

• fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Folks who owe, well they can't buy right now.:(
    Yup, the bruise from Uncle Sam is still new and blueish .... otherwise, it is a no brainer.

-fredv-
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    Options
    fredv wrote: »
    Yup, the bruise from Uncle Sam is still new and blueish ....

LOL!~ that is funny Fred!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I'm reading this and hearing from some of our friends who own this how awesome it is. Maybe someone can answer this question and it may be the kick I need to pull the trigger on this.

I have a Spectral preamp. It has three inputs, 1. a phono in, 2. an auxilliary in, 3. a tape loop. If I were to use this item I would have to use either the aux or tape loop so that would leave me with just one free input for my CD/SACD player which currently is taking up both the aux and tape loop inputs. Any suggestions to get around this problem WITHOUT doing anything to degrade my signal quality?
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi Joe. I am not sure I fully understand but then again I am not all that smart. Since nobody jumped in to answer your question you may want to email Dan Wright. He seems like a straight up guy and will help you out. I want to see you with this unit for both parties involved. I don't know why nobody is jumping on this.

Good luck,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Carl,

I guess your right, I was hoping that someone would jump on it with their income tax refund but I guess not. I've noticed a lot of items going on Agon for less then usual, guess its just a bad time to sell.

I use webshots, is there a way to link to that to post big pictures? I tried before to no avail, not sure if it is something I messed up on or that you can't do it with webshots.

Mark,

I've never been the best with words, I guess thats why I am an accountant. As for the dynamat, there is more in there then the picture shows, but i didn't really take looks into a consideration since it is the inside of the unit. Function over form, but thanks for the constructive criticism.

Joe,

Not exactly sure what the question is, but the Modwright has inputs for DVD, CD, and Tuner as well as a tape loop ad HT/Bypass. So you have 4 inputs total plus a bypass, but no phono in with this unit. Were you planning on keeping the Spectral in the system and using the Modwright?

Mike,

Thanks for the comments, always appreciated. I hope this unit goes to a polkie over selling it on Agon or Ebay.

Jared
  • Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
  • schwarcw
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Goog luck on you pending sale Jared. I use Photobucket.com Just copy and past the image link after you upload the picture, noting could be easier. Try it in the Forum test area. Photobucket doesn't charge any fees.

Carl
    Carl

• Gaara
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Carl,

Got it, much better. Thanks for the help.

Jared
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    Joe,

Not exactly sure what the question is, but the Modwright has inputs for DVD, CD, and Tuner as well as a tape loop ad HT/Bypass. So you have 4 inputs total plus a bypass, but no phono in with this unit. Were you planning on keeping the Spectral in the system and using the Modwright?

Silly me I thought you were selling strickly a phono pre!!! Never mind:o
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Well, someone needed to buy it :D :cool:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Silly me I thought you were selling strickly a phono pre!!! Never mind:o
    Hee hee, I thought you were thinking about using the spectral as phono pre and use the tape loop to feed into the Modwright's Aux and have other line source go straight into the Modwright :rolleyes:

-fredv-