Day 2 of the new pool...

13»

Comments

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Yes, but it won't get fired up until April, allowing the plaster to fully cure before they add the salt. Right now I'm chlorinating the conventional way.

Cool, you will love it.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2007
    STEVE, you out there? i tried pm'ing you. is this, by chance, the kit you went with?

http://asp5.secure-shopping.com/spspools/details.asp?prodid=1259&cat=1200&path=

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    Correction: Yep the FAS-DPD service kit. I love it, it tests everything except metals:

Free Chlorine
    Combined Chlorine
    PH
    Acid demand
    Base demand
    CYA
    Calcium Hardness
    Total Alkalinity
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2007
    Baller. You could shoot a rap video there.
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2007
    i'm going to go with that kit then. my cheapie bioguard tests only like 3 basic things, yet more comprehensive testing is very important.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2007
    The neat thing about the taylor is that the reagents change color. It's not a color matching tester which are difficult to read in certain light. For instance, the FC reading turns from pink to colorless when hit the level of chlorine, instead of trying to interpret a color of purple. The PH test is also very good, and easier to color match. This kits acid/base demand tests will tell you exactly how much muriatic/base you need to add for a given gallon capacity, to get the PH you want.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    Bill and Steve, I also use the Taylor Complete kit. Which will test almost everything except Salt level or Jack Magic Purple Stuff sequestering agent levels. It's the best kit made IMO :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BIZILL
    edited March 2007
    word. i want to know EXACTLY where i'm at vs just 'looking' at the water and having a false sense that everything must be okay. lost a battle to algae just before the end of swim season last year and have since brought it back, but i may have overstabilized it, again. my test kit doesn't tell me my cya (stabilizer) level.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited March 2007
    Epic landscape you got there, nice.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2007
    Bill
    Make sure on the CYA (stabilizer) test you hold the vial at waist level when watching for the black dot to disappear. When the dot disappears, then check the ppm of CYA on the side.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2007
    Lsi9 wrote:
    Epic landscape you got there, nice.

It's looking much better now, almost finished. I need to post an updated pic. We brought in 5 ton of rip rap to border the pool and do other accents throughout the yard.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    It's looking much better now, almost finished. I need to post an updated pic. We brought in 5 ton of rip rap to border the pool and do other accents throughout the yard.

5 tons.....your yard must be sinking :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2007
    5 tons is nothing. I spread 65 tons of gravel at my first house.
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2007
    ...in arizona, we don't have soft soil. our foundations don't sink.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2007
    i'm gonna further investigate this BBB methodoloy. i'm about fed up with the local pool stores NOT knowing just what the heck they're talking about. case of blind leading the blind. how's the BBB working so far steve?

and i'm about ready to request the ambiguously **** duo be taken off this thread as everytime i open this thread, those fellas 'pop up' and my co-workers get to wonderin'....let's at least get this puppy to page 4.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2007
    BBB is great and inexpensive. I add about 3 cups (adds 1ppm for my 10,000 gallon pool) of Clorox daily. Maintaining 7ppm of chlorine (CYA @ 55ppm). Water is crystal clear. Cost about $12 bucks a month in Clorox. Just make sure you use bleach that has no scent, and no other additives---don't use the new "thick" bleach either. Clorox is typically 5.25% available Sodium Hypochloride, but they also make a 6.25% "ultra" which works fine as well.

But, don't "stock-up" on bleach, only buy what you'll use for 1 month as bleach loses it's strength very quickly. When Bev shops every 2 weeks, I have her pick me up 2 of the 1.4 gallon jugs ($2.50ea). If you want a problem free pool with no chance of algae, use Ben's "Best Guess" chart for determining how much free chlorine you should have in relation to your CYA level.

Once my salt water chlorine generator is running, I'll just use Clorox for shocking when needed.
  • BIZILL
    edited March 2007
    YEAH, ben's calculator has made it to other pool forums. since ben is MIA, and i cannot sign on over there, i've just found a few other pool forums. same info. some of the same members, such as waterbear as well as others.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote: