Options
2»

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Norm,

Got them, biased them, hooked them up and I'm listening to tubed SDA's.

The bass from these (with the 6550's) is unbelievable!!!

Come on guys, you won't get a better deal than this; plenty of power, common ground, and beautiful.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Glad it arrived safely! It's the first time I triple boxed anything LOL :D

The 6550's are superb bass drivers! Enjoy!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    jaw open, while wiping the drooollll.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ok guys; I've been listening to the SDA's with the TAD 60 all morning and I must say I am impressed. Not only the bass is breathtaking; there is a sweetness on the top range that makes you just love it. And this is with the 6550's, which are not the best for mid-upper range (so I hear). I have yet to set it up as SET and see how the VR-1's sound, but I just can't do it...it sounds sooooo good that I don't want to touch it :):)

Norm is a wonderful seller; you won't be dissapointed here.

I am seriously (seriously) thinking on getting #2 for bi-amping and sell the Belles; they are that good.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Normanality
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks Ricardo!

I really enjoyed these amps. If it wasn't for the nonexistent air circulation on the second floor of my house, I'd still be enjoying them.

I ran SET mode most of the time on one of the amps. I ran the bass in full UL mode on one amp with the volume turned back about 25% and then ran SET on the mids and highs off the other amp. The match was gorgeous.

Talk to fredv about tubes with the TAD. He's tried a bunch and has alot of good information!
  • Normanality
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Forgot to mention :rolleyes: I'm about to tear down my putie for a long overdue cleaning and drain-refill of the water cooling. I'll be offline probably until Monday but will check to see if there's any interest once back online.
  • Normanality
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Deal is done!

The second unit has also been bought by Ricardo!

Many Thanks!
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thanks to you Norm.

It will be paid off by lower gas bills next winter ;)

SOPA
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Damn! Congrats Ricardo! To think I traded mine towards 1/2 of a sand amp.....

I liked the KT77's all round. EL-34's had a fat bass sound you might either love or hate. KT-88 or 6550's had a more true bass IMO. The EL-34 midrange is more precise, while the 88/6550 midrange is larger, but sort of a delightful smeared abstract. It is all about system synergy and personal taste.

Paul of Tube Audio Design is also a great guy to deal with and really into the music.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Damn! Congrats Ricardo! To think I traded mine towards 1/2 of a sand amp.....

I liked the KT77's all round. EL-34's had a fat bass sound you might either love or hate. KT-88 or 6550's had a more true bass IMO. The EL-34 midrange is more precise, while the 88/6550 midrange is larger, but sort of a delightful smeared abstract. It is all about system synergy and personal taste.

Paul of Tube Audio Design is also a great guy to deal with and really into the music.

You guys are so tickling that upgrade bug to switch to all tubes.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I'll be offline probably until Monday...

You shoulda told me last week, I coulda brought you out my old scuzzy (SCSI) dually Friday...but then you wouldn't have got anything done.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Second TAD is here and playing; tomorrow I'm getting the Tylers, so will be biamping during the weekend.

Must say that Norm is TOP NOTCH. Highly recommended. Every little detail of this transaction was a pleasure.

Now to some quick impressions on the different types of tubes for these amps (paired with an Audio Research pre, BADA CDP, and SDA 3.1 TL's)

I started playing the first amp with 6550's, and I already posted my impressions (great bass, beautiful mids, ok highs).
    I then played with the KT-77's, expecting to see an improvement in the upper ranges, but this was not the case; maybe these tubes have not been broken in, and I let them play for a couple of days but just could not stand the sound; it seemed as if a blanket was on top of the speakers. A no go with my system/ears.
    Today when I got the second one I started with the Electro Harmonik 6CA7's, which as I understand are not broken in yet (and are on the cheap side).
    OH MY GOD!; 6550's have the bass maybe a tad better, mids have that same sweetness, but highs sound so much better. It seems to me that this IS the tube. I need to let them burn in for a while, and I just hope that they get better or at least stay the same...

Thanks again Norm for a great transaction.

SOPA
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Its all about synergy & what works in your rig. I liked the KT-77's top to bottom, just didn't have as much bass as the 6550's. The EL-34's were ok imo. I didn't care for the 6CA7's at all but that was in my system when I still had the Von Schweikert VR-2's. Never tried them on the ESL's.

Like Norm and Rich I've decided to go with all InnerSound SS amps. My 2 TAD-60's are available if anyone feels they missed out on Norm's. email me if interested: peersool at hotmail dot com.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Normanality
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I'm glad you are enjoying those amps! They do look sweet in your rack:cool:

Interesting how different tubes sound on different speakers. The 6550 is definitely a full-bodied tube!

Halo, good luck with your sale!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ooooooh! Very nice Ricardo! Congratulations! Sounds like it will be a good weekend with the new amps and Tylers!!
    Carl