Met another Polkie

Lowell_M
Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I had the pleasure of meeting another semi-local polkie today. Opus stopped by to buy an older AVR from me for his son. We had a nice visit and I got a chance to show off the gear a little bit with a few tracks from King Kong and the battle scene from Pearl Harbor (none of the mushy crap).

The point of my post is that it is good to see that he is sucking his son into this addiction...I mean, hobby, at a young age!! Opus, if Kevin gets a good summer job, he's going to fill his room with more audio gear! Keep him off Audiogon!
HT
RTi70 mains
CSi30 center
RTi28 Rears
Velodyne CHT-12
H/K AVR-247
ADCOM GFA-7000
Samsung PN58B860
Playstation 3

2-Channel
Polk Audio LSi15's
Rotel RCD-1072
Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
ADCOM GFA-555
Signal Cable Analog II IC's
Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
Post edited by Lowell_M on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    Midwest Polkies are just the nicest people :cool:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2007
    Congrats on a great visit.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Lowell_M
    edited March 2007
    +1 on the nice midwesterners.

Hey Doug, I just realized that this one transaction has now cleaned out my audio closet. How's yours coming? :)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    Very :cool: GTG's are almost always a good thing :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dkg999
    edited March 2007
    Keep an eye on the flea market next week! It's time to move it out, and re-invest in the main systems.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    Keep an eye on the flea market next week! It's time to move it out, and re-invest in the main systems.
    hehehe. Keep me up to date!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Lowell_M
    edited March 2007
    OH yea! There was a bit of scare with my sub!!! I think I have decided that the connector on the IC is loose, but thought the connection on my Velodyne was broken. All seems ok now, but we were watching the EAgles DVD a bit and during a part where there are some pretty strong bass drum kicks we didn't get much sound, which is when I discovered the issue. A little embarrasing to have to troubleshoot during a demo.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2007
    Hey Aaron, it was nice to meet you and your wife. Nice demo too, although you made the rookie mistake of not making sure everything was working first:p Been there, done that.

Looking forward to a great Chicago PolkFest coming up. Below are pics of the new and old setup. I feel Lil' kevin is well on his way to being a broke, cable arguing, bose hating, tweek geek like the rest of us:D (ha,ha..... I just made up "tweek geek")
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Lowell_M
    edited March 2007
    opus wrote:
    Hey Aaron, it was nice to meet you and your wife. Nice demo too, although you made the rookie mistake of not making sure everything was working first:p Been there, done that.

Looking forward to a great Chicago PolkFest coming up. Below are pics of the new and old setup. I feel Lil' kevin is well on his way to being a broke, cable arguing, bose hating, tweek geek like the rest of us:D (ha,ha..... I just made up "tweek geek")

Looks great! How does it sound with the 8's?

Also, I figured out that my sub connections are fine, its the connector on the cable that is f'ed up. So, i've got to get a new cable.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2007
    a_mattison wrote:
    Looks great! How does it sound with the 8's?

Also, I figured out that my sub connections are fine, its the connector on the cable that is f'ed up. So, i've got to get a new cable.

Hey, Aaron this is little Kevin. I would just like to say thank you agian for the reciever. It sounds nice on the speakers that i have and i think it is awesome.

later,

lil' kevin////
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Lowell_M
    edited March 2007
    opus wrote:
    Hey, Aaron this is little Kevin. I would just like to say thank you agian for the reciever. It sounds nice on the speakers that i have and i think it is awesome.

later,

lil' kevin////

Mini-Opus,

Hey man! Glad you like it. It was good to meet you and your dad today. It's always fun to crank up some tunes (after things are hooked up right) and talk about audio. You guys are welcome back anytime.
    ~Aaron
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    I always find myself looking over my shoulder when mid-west Polkies are around....call me paranoid, but you West of MI folks scare me.

It's always nice to meet new folks, unless you're meeting me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    edited March 2007
    Mark - while you're looking over your shoulder I'll be stuffing some of your gear down my pants :D
    DKG999

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2007
    Congrats on the meeting! Meeting Polkies is always cool! Especially people you've talked with and exchanged ideas, etc.
    Carl

• noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited March 2007
    opus wrote:
    lil' kevin////

Oh no! The slashies!!!

Joking aside, its cool you guys can all get together if possible. Im still a youngin and a newbie so this might be a while off for me.

///////
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    Midwest Polkies are just the nicest people :cool:

+1 on that :cool: . Opus traveled up here to purchase my RTA's before X-mas and I wish we could have spent a little bit more time hanging out. We were both pressed for time. I hope to see him at PF-Chicago.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!