What is the suggest watts per channel for SDA's

Options
engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,653
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I read about under powering SDA's and damaging the tweeters. What is the suggested minim watts per channel for the different SDA's?

Thanks a lot,
engtaz
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    which model ? 1 1.2s, 2.3s it comes down to clipping the amp is usaully what fries the tweets
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    IMHO I say go for 75 wpc plus

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It kind of depends on your listening habits. If you listen at sane levels you could get away with 50 watts which will drive them to a decent level, but you won't have a lot of reserve dynamics. A few member suggest 200 watts, some recommend to go with the as much as you can afford (I choose the later). I've got 325 to feed my 2's even though the rarely ever see over about 10 watts. So I'd say get as much as you can, and if your listening and hear distortion you need more.

Later,
    dude
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Think high current, not necessarily just watts.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    MORE MORE MORE, POWER it is like a DRUG the more you get the more you want !!!!!

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    Options
    which model ? 1 1.2s, 2.3s it comes down to clipping the amp is usaully what fries the tweets

engtaz are you still there?

There is something we need to know.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I was told last August when I purchased my 1.2TLs no less than 200 wpc. I purchased 300 wpc mono blocks the 1.2TLs sing and I can push them no problem.

I recently inquired about min wpc for CRS & CRS+ I got the same response. So, never having been steared wrong on this forum about wpc, I am going for at least 200 wpc for my CRSs.

I hope this helps.
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Think high current, not necessarily just watts.
    Well put.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    Options
    High WPC usually translates into high current!

What has been the lowest wpc "high current" amp you have come across?

How does an amp go about getting high current & still be low wattage?

Do try to put this in plain english since I and others here are not electrical engineers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ok,
    Watts = Voltage * Current

So you could have a situation where a power supply could provide tons of current but low voltage, but this isn't practical at the high resistances of speakers.

But since:
    Current = Voltage / Resistance

You can estimate resistance as the nominal rating on your speakers (8Ohm / 6 Ohm/ 4 Ohm, etc) and based on combining the two formulas:

Watts = Volts * Volts / Resistance

(Where you know the watts rating and resistance) and solve for max volts.

Then put the volts and resistance numbers back into the

Current = Volts/Resistance

and get the max current.

Typically, use the 8 Ohm rating to get the max voltage and whatever the minimum ohm rating (2 or 4 typically) to get max current.

This is a simple way to get both the maximum rail voltage and maximum current of an amplifier.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Id say youd need about 1,000,000 watts RMS. :)

Or maybe 50-500.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • engtaz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Ben

I am still around. I can't seem to stay off the forum.
    I am looking to get some sda srs speakers and I am looking at a pair 2.3's.

What's up?

engtaz
    engtaz

• hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Ok,
    Watts = Voltage * Current

So you could have a situation where a power supply could provide tons of current but low voltage, but this isn't practical at the high resistances of speakers.

But since:
    Current = Voltage / Resistance

You can estimate resistance as the nominal rating on your speakers (8Ohm / 6 Ohm/ 4 Ohm, etc) and based on combining the two formulas:

Watts = Volts * Volts / Resistance

(Where you know the watts rating and resistance) and solve for max volts.

Then put the volts and resistance numbers back into the

Current = Volts/Resistance

and get the max current.

Typically, use the 8 Ohm rating to get the max voltage and whatever the minimum ohm rating (2 or 4 typically) to get max current.

This is a simple way to get both the maximum rail voltage and maximum current of an amplifier.

Ahhh Ohm's law made simple!!!
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Well said Vr3MxStyler2k3

• ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote:
    Ben

I am still around. I can't seem to stay off the forum.
    I am looking to get some sda srs speakers and I am looking at a pair 2.3's.

What's up?

engtaz

We need to know what you are have for speakers to suggest an amp. If you want to drive 2.3's you'll pretty much need a 200 watt per channel amp. If you want to drive SDA-SRS the same amp will work well because they are 4 ohms
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I'm guessing I need to add a amp to my Denon 4802. Suggestion on best watts per dollar amps.

Thanks
    engtaz
    engtaz

• ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    A receiver just won't cut it. Does your receiver have pre outs on it? As far as an amp you can get an adcom GFA-555 for about $400 on ebay all the time. I am using one, and many others that have SDA's here use them. They have great currant capacity, and can handle the drop in Ohms that make receivers clip, and fry tweeters.

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Denon 4802 is a 7.1, 120 watts a channel HT unit. I believe it is considered well built. It has pre amp outs.

Thanks
    engtaz
    engtaz

• cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thank you James. However, this stuff is still way over my head. All I do is put my real life experience of what I have discovered over the years into play.

I had a Rotel 50wpc high current amp originally driving my RTA-8T's. I replaced it with a Denon 110wpc receiver, & there was no difference in the quality of what I heard. (I believe the 110wpc is equal to the 50wpc Rotel.)

This was replaced by a Parasound 205wpc high current amplifier and I heard significant & substantial improvement all across the board over either the Rotel & the Denon!

Now if what you all say is true and high current is the most important thing, then why is there such a big difference in sound between the 50wpc Rotel & the 205wpc Parasound since they are BOTH high current?

This is the question that NOBODY ever answers satisfactorily.

I'm not playing my system any louder now, then when I was 6 yrs ago with the Rotel. But I am hearing significantly more now with my volume at -40 then I did with the Rotel at -30!

My brother now has that Rotel & the Parasound. He told me that he is hearing "More of everything" with the Parasound driving his LSI 7's than what he heard with the Rotel.

Now this clearly says to me that the more WPC you have DOES make a difference even when both the 50 wpc & 205 wpc are HIGH CURRENT.

So if you or someone else can explain this difference I would truly appreciate it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote:
    Denon 4802 is a 7.1, 120 watts a channel HT unit. I believe it is considered well built. It has pre amp outs.

Thanks
    engtaz
    Yes they are well built, but when it comes to raw power needed to drive SDA's. I doubt very seriously anyone has ever not been surprised by the difference that an external amp makes. My Yami put out 110 watts per channel, and it was nothing like external amplification. :)

Enjoy
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Id say youd need about 1,000,000 watts RMS. :)

Or maybe 50-500.

Naa the 1,000,000 wpc works for me. . . I wish!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I'd rather have way too much than not enough.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Cathy:

My guess is that it has more to do with quality rather than the watts UNLESS he likes the whole house shaking. Different compnents and signal paths make a much bigger difference in the sound than watts. (Especially since you are probably using only 10-20 watts at peak)

One day I plan on assasinate Mark and taking the BBQ amp.... Or go by some JC-1's, whichever's easier...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I cannot be slain by earthly means, so break out your spellbook fancy pants.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Dangit, I'll have to go back and sell off my holy avenger +5 for that spell the hobo was selling on the street corner...
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    That's just it James, "You guess." (I'm not trying to pick a fight here.):)

The problem with that is both Rotel & Parasound make high quality products, Their craftsmanship can never be faulted. Neither companies sell cheap stuff & have built outstanding reputations for the quality of their gear. They might go about it a little differently but I doubt either uses questionable parts.

So that brings me right back to my original question. If all that is needed is high current, then there shouldn't be a need for amps of different wattage. But there are, why? You should be able to purchase a 50wpc amp & it should sound as good & clear & detailed as a 200wpc amp. But it doesn't. Why? What is making the difference?

jdhdiggs wrote:
    Cathy:

My guess is that it has more to do with quality rather than the watts UNLESS he likes the whole house shaking. Different compnents and signal paths make a much bigger difference in the sound than watts. (Especially since you are probably using only 10-20 watts at peak)

One day I plan on assasinate Mark and taking the BBQ amp.... Or go by some JC-1's, whichever's easier...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Well, I can't hear what you hear so I have to guess. I will say this, that the sound quality of the amps I own is the exact opposite. My 30W is better than my 100W which is better than my 250W which is better than my 300W. My 2W amp was sometimes the best sounding of all of them...

That's why I believe it's quality of amps and the path and not power. I would place Parasound ahead of Rotel in sound quality.
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Good enough.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2007
    Options
    NP, would you be interested in my 100W amp to compare to the rotel's a parasounds?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You need between 12 and 506 watts.

Good watts.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.