How long does it take?

Options
warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have been living with the 1.2TL's for over a week. How long does it take to start just listening to the music and not analyzing each song for the SDA effect? I spend most of the time marvaling at the amazing sound. I get mad at myself for not letting the music take me away. Hopefully, this will pass in the next few weeks.
Post edited by warlocks1 on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I've had my 2's for about 2 years, and still find myself doing it
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I've had mine since I bought them new in the late 80's. I still catch myself listening to the sound stage more than the overall music presented. At the time I bought them I auditioned all of the good name speakers in the same price range. I didn't know much about Polk speakers back then, I just knew what my ears were telling me, that these big old coffins had the best sound I had ever heard.
    I have never heard any of the super high end speakers that I could never afford anyway, so I am not in a position to compare. What I do know is that my friends who share our love of good speakers have gone through many pairs of speakers and I still have my Polk 1.2tl's cooking along nicely. They always remark when they come over that the polks have unbelievable sound, I have to agree even 18 years later.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It's a nice problem to have! I'm still doing it!
    Carl

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It will pass, if you let it pass. Forget that they're SDA's, and just listen to them like they're regular speakers. Sure, you'll still notice the SDA effect... it's hard to ignore, but that doesn't mean you can't also enjoy the music.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I was kinda wondering that myself I got mine setup a month ago and its like Oh wait try this song!................
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2007
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    How long does it take to start just listening to the music and not analyzing each song for the SDA effect?

I don't know. I'm still checking for SDA effect on every new recording I buy. This has been going on for 19+ years.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    One of my most delightful surprises is to play an LP/CD/SACD and find that it showcases the SDA effect. I'm not particularly looking for it so when it happens sometimes it startles me and other time it just simply makes me smile. A perfect example of this; last evening around 1:30 AM I was restoring more damaged LPs and came across an unopened copy of MFSL Half Speed Master of The Beach Boys, "Surfer Girl" and found myself smiling and enjoying the huge soundstage and holigraphic imaging thrown out by the 1.2 TLs with all the harmony and instrumentals.

Good stuff.
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited March 2007
    Options
    warlocks1 wrote:
    I have been living with the 1.2TL's for over a week. How long does it take to start just listening to the music and not analyzing each song for the SDA effect? I spend most of the time marvaling at the amazing sound. I get mad at myself for not letting the music take me away. Hopefully, this will pass in the next few weeks.

I hope it doesn't go away, that's why I love the speakers. If I couldn't evaluate how good the effect is, I could trade 'em for a pair of those B$#& cube things.
    David
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I still feel that way even with my old monitor 10's that are not even in the same boat.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I found it too distracting; that's why I'm getting rid of them.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :p;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    Options
    The better the equipment gets the less you notice the speakers being SDA and the more you just enjoy the music. Don't get me wrong, the SDA still does what it should, it just gets harder to detect what it is doing.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited March 2007
    Options
    One of my most delightful surprises is to play an LP/CD/SACD and find that it showcases the SDA effect. I'm not particularly looking for it so when it happens sometimes it startles me and other time it just simply makes me smile. A perfect example of this; last evening around 1:30 AM I was restoring more damaged LPs and came across an unopened copy of MFSL Half Speed Master of The Beach Boys, "Surfer Girl" and found myself smiling and enjoying the huge soundstage and holigraphic imaging thrown out by the 1.2 TLs with all the harmony and instrumentals.

Good stuff.

Little surfer.....Little one....Make my heart come all undone...Do you love me? Do you surfer girl....

Sorry I just had to! :D
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    SLOCOOKN wrote:
    Little surfer.....Little one....Make my heart come all undone...Do you love me? Do you surfer girl....

Sorry I just had to! :D

Thank goodness, I thought you were talking me whewwww!:p
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Thank goodness, I thought you were talking me whewwww!:p

Nahhh, I read you weren't that cute.:mad: However, I see you talk about YOUR surfer girl alot.;) ....JUST KIDDING:p

I thought I might be the only one who new that song still exists. :confused:

Just havin' fun...:D
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2007
    Options
    SLOCOOKN wrote:
    Nahhh, I read you weren't that cute.:mad: However, I see you talk about YOUR surfer girl alot.;) ....JUST KIDDING:p

I thought I might be the only one who new that song still exists. :confused:

Just havin' fun...:D

I do speak of her a lot hear. If you ever get to see her you will definetely ask yourself what is a beauty like her doing with an old crippled up crank like him???