Identity theft, Privacy issues

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've never had my identity stolen but it seems to be on the rise so over the years, I've tried to find ways to keep my personal info out of the public domain. I haven't done any research on the subject so these are just my personal ideas and my personal belief is that we give out our personal information to nearly any tom, dick or harry that asks for it.

Basically I try not to give out my real name, ssn, DOB, phone #, address, etc unless it's going to be verified by the requesting party or needed to fullfill obligations to third parties like the IRS.

1. Ordering online: I never use my real name or phone #. I use an expendable yahoo email account to receive order and shipping confirmations. They don't verify my name even when I use a credit card. I've heard some of them verify my first and last name initials so I use a name with the same initials as mine. I mail a money order in instead of using a cc whenever possible.

2. Dentists/Doctors visits: Yes I use my real name :D . I use a fake SSN, DOB, etc unless they're needed to verify insurance or something. I leave SSN blank unless they verbally insist on having it after they review my paperwork.

3. ISP/Cable etc: I don't use my real name, SSN, DOB, etc. It's none of their business.

4. Cell: I probably gave them all the correct info because it was so long ago but if I had to do it again, I'd probably give them nothing accurate except my address unless they ask to see my drivers license which would give them my real name and DOB. Unfortunately they probably do a credit check which makes it hard to hide the SSN and maybe even the DOB.

5. Bank accounts: I recently opened a high-yield money market account online and gave them all the correct info except my DOB.

6. Utilities: again this was so long ago, they have all my personal info but if and when I have to do it over again, they will get as little as possible. Unfortunately they probably do a credit check which makes it hard to hide the SSN and maybe even the DOB.

7. Ordering pizza: I don't use my real name, it's none of their business.

8. I did have some luck (I think), calling cell, credit card and utility companies back after the account was opened and asking them to change my SSN to all zeros because last year I was a victim of identity theft and this is what my lawyer recommended (not true but I think some of them bought it).

Paranoid yes but I'd like to know other ways to protect myself from identity theft without becoming a complete hermit :eek:
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    Hope you don't get busted for fraud.

Maybe there is something wrong with those fillings of yours.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    7. Ordering pizza: don't use your real name, it's none of their business.

I'll be sure to tell someone in the food industry working for McMininum wage that it is "none of their g-dam bidness" next time their fixing me a meal:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2007
    I'd be stunned if a credit card company was dumb enough to chabge the ss number on file to all 0's

Identity fraud is out there.....yes. just like car accidents and tornados. take all the action you want against it, and it can still happen.

best thing to do is keep tabs on your credit bureau. you really should do it at least twice a year, especially if your going to buy a house within like 3-5 years.

at least once a year is prudent for all, call one bureau, and they will send all three. you are entitled to a free credit bureau once every year. look over it in detail, if a trade line does not belong to you, look into it and dispute it asap (you can dispute derrogatory information to, if the reporting agency does not respond to it, it gets cleared off your credit, little trick for the bad credit folks who need a little help)

cant be paranoid about, but catching it quick does make it easier. its not the end of the world if it happens, but it can be a pain in the arse
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2007
    Holy **** dude, paranoid much?

I can see being protective of your SSN, but beyond that... lying about your name when ordering goods doesn't seem like a good idea. Not giving your name to a pizza delivery boy is just full-on delusional paranoia. If anyone wants your NAME and address, no matter how hard you try to hide it the information is SIMPLE to obtain. I don't see what harm giving your NAME to a PIZZA boy could possibly do.

Seriously, get outta the bunker and breathe some fresh air, life's too short brother.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2007
    I've never had my identity stolen but .... because last year I was a victim of identity theft ...

:confused:

Refusing to give SSN is vastly different from knowingly providing a false one.

Your one of the can't see the forest for all the trees guy aren't you? Mailing money orders? That sounds real safe. I find it much easier just to monitor my credit reports on a regular basis than trying to play super secret agent man.

Good luck to you. I think those fillings and vaccines really got to you. :rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited March 2007
    I see a padded room in your future, maybe even a jail cell.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    I see a padded room in your future, maybe even a jail cell.

:D LOL!!!

This is definetly sig worthy!!!:D Someone please hurry... Grab this famous quote before someone else does!

BTW, What is your license plate number? You drive around and advertise it everyday, do you have a cover over it? I can find out your whole life history, bud!

Mike
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

Hg poisoning.:rolleyes:
    Signature goes here
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

I can see being protective of your SSN, but beyond that... lying about your name when ordering goods doesn't seem like a good idea. Not giving your name to a pizza delivery boy is just full-on delusional paranoia. If anyone wants your NAME and address, no matter how hard you try to hide it the information is SIMPLE to obtain. I don't see what harm giving your NAME to a PIZZA boy could possibly do.

Seriously, get outta the bunker and breathe some fresh air, life's too short brother.

Yeah, using a fake name isn't cool dude! Especially when ordering goods, you might even trigger the DEA!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    **** parade in full swing...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2007
    Are you sure it wasn't mercury?:D
    seo wrote:
    Hg poisoning.:rolleyes:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    Are you sure it wasn't mercury?:D

It is was it is. :) The point is where should we draw the line in giving out personal information. I've chosen to draw the line at point zero whenever possible. I have no idea whether this will keep my identity from being stolen but at least I'm thinking about it and being proactive. Yes SSN and DOB is personal information that really shouldn't be given to anyone except the IRS but unfortunately the credit bureaus have chosen to use SSN and DOB as their database identifier so that means anyone that requires your credit report before they will do business with you becomes another source for possible identity theft.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2007
    You can do all of what you listed, and they've still got 100 additional ways to leave your lover, errrrr, steal your identity :eek: Most times it will either be from something so simple you didn't even think about it, or so hi-tech you can't prevent it.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    The last football game I watched, when they went into a huddle before each play, I think they were talking about me. :eek:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    The last football game I watched, when they went into a huddle before each play, I think they were talking about me. :eek:

I'm still stuck in the basement of the watergate building trying to figure how to get out without getting caught. You know they guard things closer than they used to.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2007
    Ordering online: I never use my real name or phone #. I use an expendable yahoo email account to receive order and shipping confirmations. They don't verify my name even when I use a credit card.

I was curious how you get away with not using your real name when ordering something, especially when it comes time to receive the package? And when I use a credit card online, boy if everything doesn't match right down to the nuts theres now way the transaction will go through.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    They really don't want your identity, they just want your CC number. And if somehow they obtain your CC#, then based on the information your post, all safeguards are out the window.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Ordering online: I never use my real name or phone #. I use an expendable yahoo email account to receive order and shipping confirmations. They don't verify my name even when I use a credit card.

I was curious how you get away with not using your real name when ordering something, especially when it comes time to receive the package? And when I use a credit card online, boy if everything doesn't match right down to the nuts theres now way the transaction will go through.....

I've never had a problem but I make sure I use a name that has the same initials as mine. For instance my real name is John Doe so I make sure I use a name like Jim Dolphin so the initials match. Receiving the package at my house is never a problem although I did tell the UPS guy and maybe the mailman too that I use a nickname when I order stuff online to prevent identity theft. I didn't want him to think I was trying to hide something from him like anonymously having drugs sent to my house.
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    If you consientiously check your statement or better yet, go online & check it, you should probably be fine.

A good many companies will now also call you if someone manages to get a hold of your card and starts making payments to where ever. They will call to make sure you authorized it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2007
    Note to self..................don't be tempted to buy anything from candyliquor35m in the flea market since that person doesn't really exist in this world............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2007
    I've never had a problem but I make sure I use a name that has the same initials as mine. For instance my real name is John Doe so I make sure I use a name like Jim Dolphin so the initials match. Receiving the package at my house is never a problem although I did tell the UPS guy and maybe the mailman too that I use a nickname when I order stuff online to prevent identity theft. I didn't want him to think I was trying to hide something from him like anonymously having drugs sent to my house.

Wow, I really thought you were joking with us when you started this thread. Apparently you really are that insane.

I would imagine if you keep this up, someone's going to bust you for defrauding them. I am definitely not a lawyer, but a whole host of things that you're doing have to be TECHNICALLY illegal. At the very least you're breaking some sort of federal mail fraud laws.
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2007
    I have enough sources to actually tell you what laws he is breaking, but I realized with the mercury thread that he is crazy, so I just put him on my ignore list instead!

Makes life much easier.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Wow, I really thought you were joking with us when you started this thread. Apparently you really are that insane.

I would imagine if you keep this up, someone's going to bust you for defrauding them. I am definitely not a lawyer, but a whole host of things that you're doing have to be TECHNICALLY illegal. At the very least you're breaking some sort of federal mail fraud laws.

So technically it's illegal or fraud but in reality it's not because I'm paying my credit card bill at the end of every month or prepaying legal online purchases with a money order. Who am I defrauding? My attempts to defraud myself haven't worked. I keep catching myself.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2007
    Folks, I have met "candyliquor35m" and he is not crazy. A little reserved and maybe somewhat opinionated (but aren't we all), but definitely not crazy. I even know his real name because I bought a pair of pristine CRS+'s from him and did a road trip with him to help a fellow polkie pick up some Carvers for another polkie.

Please, relax a little and ease up on him.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    DaveMuell wrote:
    Folks, I have met "candyliquor35m" and he is not crazy. A little reserved and maybe somewhat opinionated (but aren't we all), but definitely not crazy. I even know his real name because I bought a pair of pristine CRS+'s from him and did a road trip with him to help a fellow polkie pick up some Carvers for another polkie.

Please, relax a little and ease up on him.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that tremendously. I don't enjoy the pummeling but I don't take it personal or let it get to me because I try to respect everyone's opinion but some of these topics I believe in deeply. I believe we're losing our right to privacy and what better way to preserve it than to personally protect my own identity and privacy from fraudulent purveyors. Edit: and even if you had pummeled me, you'd still be invited over to listen to sda's. Bring the wife so she'll let you get your own 2 channel rig if you haven't already. I know your daughter has one with the crs+'s.

Cathy don't ignore me yet. I feel the need for some bail money coming on :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    A girl scout stole my identity when I bought some cookies but that was after she ran out of the house screaming and naked.....luckily she was 18.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2007
    So technically it's illegal or fraud but in reality it's not because I'm paying my credit card bill at the end of every month or prepaying legal online purchases with a money order. Who am I defrauding? My attempts to defraud myself haven't worked. I keep catching myself.

I'm pretty sure you're defrauding the post office by having things shipped under a false name, but I don't really KNOW, I just think it SOUNDS like it's probably breaking the law. I'll tell ya right now, if you buy enough things under different names on the internet, you're gonna get on the FBI's watch list just because it's so damned suspicious, and that will pretty much have the opposite of your desired effect now won't it?

That's not really the point though. I understand your desire for a right to privacy, I just think you're confusing privacy with just functioning normally in society.

Know what, I could go on and on about this, but I don't really care what you do, I just think it's sociopathic and delusional behavior, despite Dave Muell's glowing praise for your personality. Hell, I assume "Dave Muell" is that gentleman's real name, posted right here, ona PUBLIC FORUM! I wonder when the identity theft fairies are going to come and steal the very essence of his being for such an egregious slip.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2007
    Actually it is Dave Muellenberg, most people pronounce it incorrectly. It should probably be spelled Mullenburg, but who am I to say? At any rate, I was born in Redfield South Dakota and moved to Sioux Falls. I lived there a long time and moved to Texas. Two stops here in Texas so far and am moving to Georgetown in 4 weeks. No criminal record. But, I haven't really told you anything that you couldn't probably have found out with a couple simple WEB searches.

BTW, I don't mind PayPal at all. Until they have a security breach I am okay with their fees.

Dave
  • candyliquor35m
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you're defrauding the post office by having things shipped under a false name, but I don't really KNOW, I just think it SOUNDS like it's probably breaking the law. I'll tell ya right now, if you buy enough things under different names on the internet, you're gonna get on the FBI's watch list just because it's so damned suspicious, and that will pretty much have the opposite of your desired effect now won't it?

That's not really the point though. I understand your desire for a right to privacy, I just think you're confusing privacy with just functioning normally in society.

Know what, I could go on and on about this, but I don't really care what you do, I just think it's sociopathic and delusional behavior, despite Dave Muell's glowing praise for your personality. Hell, I assume "Dave Muell" is that gentleman's real name, posted right here, ona PUBLIC FORUM! I wonder when the identity theft fairies are going to come and steal the very essence of his being for such an egregious slip.

I appreciate your concern. I really do but your concerns also give me a sinking feeling about what our society has become. In a little over 200 years, we've gone from being willing to stand up and fight against import taxes and duties to being afraid to use a fictitious name to order a cd player off of ebay. Sometimes I drive down the middle of the road (one way streets only :D ) because I effing feel like it. Does that make me a criminal? I know a friend of mine didn't appreciate it when I did it with her in the car but it was a one way divided street and no one else was around. I especially do it if it's raining hard and it will keep me from hydroplaning because the rain gathers on both sides of the street where the curbs are.

I don't know how many states still let motorcyclists drive without helmets but texas is one of them. I wouldn't do it but I can see why someone would want to just to feel free from all of the rules and regulations we have now. I've never wanted to be normal with that white picket fence and shiny new chevy in the driveway. All that said, I live a pretty boring life but I still have a little kick left in me.

postscript: I would hope that the powers that be have more important things to do than monitor someone ordering stereo equipment off the internet. And yes I keep my cookies turned off all the time unless the website requires them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    Actually the overriding issue in the American revolution wasn't taxation. It was taxation without REPRESENTATION. Big difference, actually.

I read a book that laid out a good case that had the colonies (us) been granted one seat in parliment, the revolution probably would have never gained traction. I'm sure at some point it would have but later down the road. The one seat wouldn't have accomplished anything, mind you, but that wasn't the point. Taxes were actually higher in England according to my reading...so it wasn't the taxes per se, it was the lack of representation.

As a side note, I've known many people who were very nice who were, all the same, crazier than a shithouse rat

Just thought I'd share.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut