Unbe F*(#inglievable......

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
6 hours into a relocation and I'm already pissed.................tell me if I'm overreacting..........

I got an onsite quote from a guy with Reebie Allied Moving here in IL to move to UT for right at $3000 to move what he estimated to be 5500 pounds of stuff. He came out, looked at everything, I pointed out everything that's being moved, but there was one issue. I told him that I was going to try and get about half of the plate weights in my car, depending on how well my car would handle all that weight.

Instead of moving them with my car to UT, I returned it to the store I bought it from and that lightened the load by just under 400 pounds.

Today the movers show up and get everything loaded and about 45-60 minutes after they're gone I get a call from the guy who wrote the estimate saying that my stuff ended up weighing 9000 pounds. I shrugged it off because they have a guarantee on their price for it not to exceed the written quote.

He hung up the phone after saying something about talking to the driver........then he calls back about 30 minutes later and says that after looking at the itemized statement, it appears there's 2000 pounds of weight equipment that wasn't supposed to be moved. He said that it was his understanding that the equipment was being sold or something and he didn't put it on the estimate to which I replied "I have to ask why it is that we bothered pointing every single item out if you weren't going to list them as you were instructed." I told him that selling off the racks, benches, bars, etc. wasn't ever even a remote thought and the ONLY thing we discussed about the weights was the plates, which I took care of by returning them to the store. The price for the excess weight: $11-1200.

With every fiber in my being, I didn't go completely postal on him, and ended up talking him down to $400 for the extra weight otherwise the driver apparently wasn't going to take the stuff to UT.

Paying the $400 BEYOND irks me and I did a very quick Google search to find another person they did this with back in 2005 (granted, was tens of thousands difference, but regardless).

I specifically went with one of the big movers because I didn't want to have to deal with after the fact BS and I'll be damed if I'm experiencing what I am. I understand that x pounds cost x dollars to move, so I asked him why bother have a guarantee if you're simply going to call the customer and ask them to pay more money........

Thoughts? Similar experiences?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Quit being such a ****. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2007
    Go over their heads and raise hell!

A guarantee is a guarantee.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    How much stuff or rooms were you moving?

9000 LBS is A LOT OF STUFF, I moved a 2 bedroom apartment with a ton of ****, ended up weighing about 2400 LBS.

^ Like he said, a guarantee is a guarantee. Seems to me they are trying to get more money out of you.

Mike

EDIT: BTW, you are overreacting!;)
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2007
    Don't worry, it'll get worse. All the **** you care about will be scratched, dented, or even flat out broken. Moving just sucks.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2007
    wallstreet wrote:
    Don't worry, it'll get worse. All the **** you care about will be scratched, dented, or even flat out broken. Moving just sucks.

:D Damn! I figured someone was going to say it, not something you want to hear, but it is soo true!

Like I said before, I hope you purchased full coverage insurance, you'll have claims for sure!

Good luck,

Mike
  • polka boy
    polka boy Posts: 13
    edited March 2007
    I've been trasferred 3 times. Big truck, several guys,many boxes. Must have cost my company a fortune. My daughter moved back to Indy from Colorado and at the time of drop off in Indy they wanted another ~ $600.00. This was 4 years ago and I am still pissed about that rip off.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2007
    Typical mover...even without the 2000 pounds of weight stuff, he under bid by 1500 pounds to get your move and they were going to try their best to get more $$$ from you.

The only thing more unreliable than movers are general contractor's calendars and watches...........;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Brett, moving companies are worse than used car salesman (no offense to any good ones that are members here). I once had a guarantee from a moving company come rain, shine, snow, hurricane that they would move me. I had settlement on the new home at 9:00AM and settlement on the old home at 11:00 AM the movers were supposed to show up and move everything out of the old house by 8:00AM. NO SHOW!!! I had to hire a moving company from the yellow pages and of course an emergency call costs thousands more than a planned move. So we had our backs to the wall and had to do it.

Get this, the original moving company shows up at 11:00AM and when I told them to hit the pike they tried to bill me for the original estimate. . . they took me to court over this. I won of course but the hassle was infuriating.

Moving is stressful enough, **** them I wouldn't pay them the $400 and take it up with the upper management. I can get real cranky with this kind of crap!!!
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited March 2007
    They probably consider that $400 as tip insurance, Im sure that loot is being split either two or four ways.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2007
    What does the contract say about this issue? That's the only thing that matters. Is the price actually guaranteed? Read the fine print.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited March 2007
    eff Utah stay in Ill
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • brettw22
    edited March 2007
    Much as I'd like to, all my stuff is on it's way to UT, and I won't abandon my material possessions........:D
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    The main thing is that all of your stuff makes it on one piece
  • brettw22
    edited March 2007
    I changed my deductible to $0 a few days before the move and I'm predicting that will be my saving grace in this whole thing..........

As for now, I've had 2 hours sleep in the past 48 hours, so I'm off to bed......nite y'all
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Nite sweetpants.

Now, sit back, and watch Utah turn into Vermont. As of next week, the **** Population will be....... ONE.

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited March 2007
    Bret, thats very common around here man. Once they have your stuff, it's hard to fight em. They'll keep your stuff locked up until Hell freezes over.

Hope you have a safe journey.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2007
    Honestly dude, I'd have rented a Ryder truck and a car dolly and bought a buddy a plane ticket either home from Utah or to Chicago to help you move. I hate dealing with the movers we use at work. I couldn't imagine having to deal with one of those companies for my personal stuff. I'll move myself until I can't. Hopefully by then, I'll have kids of my own to force into slave labor.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    This is pretty common they low bid. Highjack your stuff, and hold it for ransom. If you don't pay up quickly some companies sell your stuff. :mad:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2007
    I'm thinking, in the scheme of things, $3400 isn't that bad of a deal, even if he did under bid and try and scam you. I bet you couldn't have done it for that moving yourself. I'd be worried about them trying to hit you up on the other end though the way they appear to operate :rolleyes: Moving sucks any way you look at it though.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited March 2007
    It would take an act of God and Congress not to get at least a small knife to the kidneys when moving.
    By what you've described, it's not that bad of a situation.

The Mormons are going to meet the truck at the border, anyhow, and steal half you stuff anyway.
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Now, sit back, and watch Utah turn into Vermont. As of next week, the **** Population will be....... ONE.
    ;)
    Cheers,
    Russ

And the week after .... TWO.
    Than.......FOUR.
    Than....... :eek:

Yep, pretty soon Utah will be known as the Moreman State.
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2007
    Well, at least you got them to come way down on the price. .. that is alot of extra weight... but they are not honoring their guarantee they told you about either.

I've never used a moving company before. do they have your credit card info?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited March 2007
    My wife used to work for some high end movers.....here's the thing,and they all do it.....after loading all your stuff,they then go to weigh it,but first they stop to fuel up so you pay for the extra weight of that fuel.Thats probably the difference in price you are experiencing.When they have your stuff,you are at their mercy.Another note...be ready to accept on your delivery day or storage fee's will bury you.And claim any damages right a way,they all have budgets to cover this.Your move,given the weight,is peanuts to them,and your load will most likely share room with someone else's stuff.

Good luck Brett !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited March 2007
    Way back in my apartment days, I called and set up a rental for a U-Haul truck for a move...a good month ahead of time to guarantee one..

The day before the move I call them to basically see when I should come and pick up the truck the next day..

well, apparently their was a rash of over-heated trucks across the country and now I don't have a truck..!!

So I find this out by ME calling them? um..ok..I HAVE to be out of my apartment by the next day and now no truck? Their were other nice customer service errors as well...complete nightmare

I even wrote the corporate office with the whole story...not ONE word back
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,969
    edited March 2007
    I,m never moving again. I'm never moving again. I'm never moving again. I'm never............

:eek: :p
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited March 2007
    They had an article on the Sunday's newspaper. Moving companies are known to give a lower estimate, then they hold the moving possession for hostage until the owner paid a higher amount. The article especially cited the interstate movings. The moving did it to an attorney, and it took her almost two months to get her possession back -- after threatening to sue the moving company numerous times. If they can do it to an attorney, even the average citizens like us. Hopefully, this won't be one of those scams.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    It's a classic scheme and you will most likely have problems on the other end. I hope you have copies of the actual weight tickets.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • brettw22
    edited March 2007
    I don't have copies of the weight tickets but I did send an email to him indicating that I have the additional form filled out and ready to be faxed but need an adjusted bill of sale that states that there will be no additional charges other than the $50 that they charge to unload the truck into a storage unit (whatever)......
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    Unless you have some paper/docs, its he said, she said. Email is almost worthless, depending on the jurisdiction.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,969
    edited March 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    but need an adjusted bill of sale
    Key words.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    I,m never moving again. I'm never moving again. I'm never moving again. I'm never............

:eek: :p

I told my wife after we moved in here that the next time I move will be in a pine box!!!