Polk SDA and Carver Amps

Options
housedj
housedj Posts: 44
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys,,

I am thinking about running a pair of carver silver 9t's to my 1.2tls,,,and was curious if any other forum members have done this (without using the A1 interface interconnect),,using the stock interconnect.

Anyone know how to be certain if 2 mono amps negative terminals can be connected together??
Post edited by housedj on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Don't do it without the A1 interconnect it do bad things to your amps. I haven't tried it but I have read of others doing it with bad things happening. DarqueKnight and F1nut plus some others are very well informed. Hopefully they can advise you on a proper transformer setup. Also search for threads on A1 interconnect.

Enjoy Ben

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48844&highlight=a1+interconnect
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I understand it to be this way you will have to make a cable to run between the amplifiers to create a common ground. chassis to chassis , However like Ben62670 has stated Darqueknight and F1nut, Htrookie are very well versed in these fields. Monos dont have a common ground between them like a stereo channeled amp does. Im running two carver -tfm 35s on mine
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You will need to contact the manufacturer to ask if a particular mono amp can have the grounds strapped together.

Some mono amps have the negative terminal tied to ground, in which case there is usually no problem strapping the grounds of both monoblocks together. On the other hand, some mono amps have balanced outputs where the positive and negative terminals are both "live". Strapping the negative terminals of balanced amps will cause unfortunate events.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • housedj
    housedj Posts: 44
    edited February 2007
    Options
    thanks guys for your responses and thanks to darqueknight for the technical insight:)
  • KABII
    KABII Posts: 18
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I have a pair of POLK SRS CRS speakers on the way from California. Should be here in about a week. These CRS speakers have two silver domed tweeters.

I also have agreed to purchase a pair of Polk SRS 2.3s. I'm hoping to move the speakers this weekend into their new home.

I plan to drive both pairs of speakers with an Earthquake Cinenova Grand 5 x 300 watt amp. Does anyone know if this amp in common ground or not? How do I determine that it is ok to hook this monter to my newly acquired polks without doing B-A-D things to the polks or the amp?

Thanks for your assistance.

KABII
  • bchivers
    bchivers Posts: 29
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ////
    Marantz SR5400
    Denon 1920 DVD
    Magnepan MC 12/QR
    Polk RM 1000
    Polk PSW 404
    Homemade speaker wires and interconnects.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Don't follow my comments thoughtlessly, but I thought if the interconnect cable was not in use, then you could use monoblocks or other non-common ground amps.
  • KABII
    KABII Posts: 18
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Don't follow my comments thoughtlessly, but I thought if the interconnect cable was not in use, then you could use monoblocks or other non-common ground amps.

I believe you are correct. However, if you don't use the interconnect, you loose the SDA affect. The SDA affect is that wonderful sound that makes the SRS speakers so AWESOME.
  • marcusmy2k
    marcusmy2k Posts: 13
    edited March 2007
    Options
    you need to build a AI-1 interconnect to run those amplifiers. i have a pair of silver 9t's now running my sda srs 1.2tl's but i am not using the cable. i got the specs from polk on how to build one. i had hooked these up, and plugged in the interconnect and i thought the world was going to end.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    Options
    See this post here, there is a pdf with a memo from Polk about your amps. You should be able to strap the speaker negatives together to create a common ground. I recommend you also contact Carver to see if you can strap the chasis of the mono blocks together as you may need to do this to avoid a ground loop hum.