New Company Name

okiepolkie
okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am considering changing my company name to reflect my current specialties. Right now, my company name is Holcomb Audio Visual Technologies. This reflects my business plan to include not only home installations, but commercial ones as well, including schools, banks, businesses, etc....

However, I would like to stand out a little more, and have less to write(and less for people to forget) when I am doing this full time.

I will keep the Holcomb Audio Visual Technologies as the base of my business, but I'm looking to see what people think about a specialty name for the residential side.

A logo might read something like "Digital Auditions, by Holcomb AVT".

If you have any other suggestions, let me know, as I'm always open to fresh ideas.

edit: here is a sample of my current business logo/card. I would keep the same logo format, which does help explain a little bit of what I do.
Tschüss
Zach
Post edited by okiepolkie on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    I like "Digital Auditions". I'd rather keep it short and catchy, seems to do the trick.

Mike
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited February 2007
    Ditto what Mike said..
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Just an observation; not criticizing, but would the general public understand the names your thinking about?

To me, I would have no idea what is that you do...just my 2 cents

How about "Audio & Visual Technologies by Holcomb" This name also puts you in the front of the yellow pages...no whatta mean?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    From the choices I like digital Auditions as well, but if I just heard your company name, I would have no idea what you do or under what circumstances I would hire you. You may want a short tagline under the name (on a buisness card for instance) that states what services you provide.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Agree with Steve; I would pick something more eye catching for the general public...unfortunately I don't have any suggestions...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2007
    I do have a description under my name on my business card.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it, but I am basically just looking for a catchy name, as 95% of my clients come from referrals. Therefore, I don't(and probably won't) list in the yellow pages, and any other advertising I do will have a desription to go with my name.

A couple of the others that have gone through my mind over the past few months are:
    Sound Solutions
    HΩme Audio Video
    Sound, By Design
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    How about AV Solutions--That would put you at the front of the line.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    I don't like "audition" in the name of the company. When you're going out to audition gear, is your mindset to purchase or justsee what's out there?

I like solutions in the mix as well.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    Truncate your current name to "Holcomb AV."

I agree -- drop the terms, "digital" and "audition."
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    daboyz wrote:
    How about AV Solutions--That would put you at the front of the line.

I believe there is already a company with that name....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    edited February 2007
    One way or another, I'd try to keep your name in there. I like the "by Holcomb" suggestion. I wouldn't forget that as easy. When I'm making B2B purchases and trying to remember someone or suggest someone, I could imagine ending up saying "Oh, it was digital something or other." Well, that guy will never find you again in that case.

Also, as a homeowner/resident I am much more likely to contract services with the small business owner than the large. Maybe some people prefer the backing of "tweeter" or "sears" or "home depot", I'd rather know that the guy doing something for me is totally invested in the work, not that he has a major corporation backing him up.
  • Early B.
    edited February 2007
    BTW -- the logo is very cool.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    I think it's a classy move to include your name, having your name included in your business name gives the perception that you take pride in what you do.

Just my 2 cents..
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    okiepolkie wrote:

Also, I don't think I mentioned it, but I am basically just looking for a catchy name, as 95% of my clients come from referrals. Therefore, I don't(and probably won't) list in the yellow pages,
    ]

I this is true, don't change anything. An established name is priceless in any business.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    I just put the Holcomb Audio name into the action name generator and came up with Heavy Metal Avenger. Has a nice ring to it.

If most of your business is referral, then the name is not as important as you yourself. Your customer will probably remember you the most, if you stay on a smaller scale.
    I like HΩme Audio Video, but your existing name will probably suffice. Good luck.
    Venom
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    1. Drop the "audition": you're providing solutions, not "let's try this !".
    2. Definitely drop "digital": too cookie cutter, to antiseptic sounding.
    3. Keep "solutions": shows decisiveness and problem-solving ability.
    4. ABSOLUTELY keep "by Holcomb". Gives an impression of "others
    may do [fill in the blank], but this is by HOLCOMB".
    Keep your name in it, definitely. Shows a pride in craftsmanship.

....seems to have worked for a guy named Matthew.

I was going to suggest "Big Blue Sound-O-Rama", but .... you're wanting to be successful, right ? :rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2007
    Holcomb Sound Works (HSW)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited February 2007
    okiepolkie wrote:

Also, I don't think I mentioned it, but I am basically just looking for a catchy name, as 95% of my clients come from referrals. Therefore, I don't(and probably won't) list in the yellow pages, and any other advertising I do will have a desription to go with my name.

A couple of the others that have gone through my mind over the past few months are:
    Sound Solutions
    HΩme Audio Video
    Sound, By Design

I like anything with Sound in it... but then, I'm partial ;).

Howz about: Sound A/V Solutions?
    Rock-solid Audio/Video All taken care of
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    It's kinda imperitive that he keep both Audio and Visual so that people know he does both and not just one or the other.

I like Holcolm Audio Visual Solutions personally.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Early B.
    edited February 2007
    If you guys want him to keep "Holcomb", plus "Audio" and Visual" in the name, he may as well hold onto what he's got.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I like Brett suggestion, or if you want it shorter go with,

Holcomb A/V Solutions!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    if it aint broke don`t try to fix it !

stick with what you have...I`m sure you already have a reputation....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    AAA Acme A/V
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    Holcolm Sound Solutions
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Just an observation; not criticizing, but would the general public understand the names your thinking about?

To me, I would have no idea what is that you do...just my 2 cents

How about "Audio & Visual Technologies by Holcomb" This name also puts you in the front of the yellow pages...no whatta mean?

My sentiments exactly!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    AAA Acme A/V

With a logo of Wile E. Coyote' getting electricuted by a digital device.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    or you could go totally different
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    I don't like visual, use video instead.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    It was already on the pic, I could change it if need be.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Zach, I'm in the camp that says you need to have audio and visual, home theater or something to tell people what your business is all about.

When I hear digital, I think of pagers and electronics, not audio.
    Carl