Opinions Please (reciver or amps?)

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited August 2002 in Electronics
Ok you can see my setup in my sig, and I'm not incredibly happy with the overall sound. I especially noticed this when I hung out with steve@3dai and heard his setup. :)

So my question is this, what should be my next upgrade? I'm seriously thinking of taking back my HK receiver and getting a Denon or Onkyo (something around the $700-$800 range), but I've also been thinking about getting some Adcom Amps to improve the overall sound quality. I'm deffinately getting some cables this weekend, so what else should I do?

Also, am I expecting too much out of my R40's and the rest of my speakers? Would a speaker upgrade make more sense right now?
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    Separates will improve any speaker, maybe start there and then see what you think of your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Just my opinion............

Decide if you like your speakers enough to get separates FIRST.

Buying separates is the most expensive way to find out if you don't like your speakers. Decide what you aren't happy with and start there. If you have a friend that has a system you like, see if you can hook up your speakers to see how they sound and if they will be greatly improved by getting the different amp.

Have fun.......I'm looking at upgrading a bunch of stuff too.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Money is the question,
    how much you have will allow you 2 deside on what to upgrade.It's difficult to improve a system that your not happy with.I looked over your system and it seems pretty tight.

If your planning a big upgrade,Start with better speakers and then match everything to them.
    Going seperates witht the speakers you own,I think it's a bit extreme,but it's your choice if it is or not,thats just how I look at it.The Denon avr2802 might be the one for you.Maybe you want to look at the Integra DTR6.2 or 6.3.
    Wire will make a impack on any system,it changes things.What wire to get???It depends on the ending system.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    The h/k is not your problem, its a good box and great preamp with all the connections needed to enjoy separates as future upgrades...

I would look at speaks first then separates such as amp, DVD,TV stuff with a big bang then as last but not least upgrade the h/k to perhaps a THX box.

just my thoughts... I'm kinda doing the same.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited August 2002
    I would say take back the HK and get an Onkyo or something like that. I think the amp/reciever is where you are having your problem. Some amps can make mediocre speakers sing! :)

Well, I mean, it COULD be the HK, but I'm a little with HBomb on this one, they usually make good amps. I'd go to Audio Systems, pick up some better speaker wire, maybe a little upgrade on the interconnects and see what that does. It's a whole lot cheaper than "new" stuff.

My .02
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Steve, I've listened to an Onkyo with a Blos surround and it actually sounds pretty good for what it is.

What would be the big difference between the h/k and the Onkyo? Just curious....
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2002
    Well, from reading on this forum, it seems like the Onkyo line and the RT/RTi line mesh real well.

I could be smoking crack too ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Phuz, what is Steve running for amps? Can you take your R40's over for a demo?

Best amplification for the money in a receiver, in my book will be a Nad or AMC 5.1 job.... You will not get the bells and whistles you get with Denon/Onkyo etc, but for straight-forward 5.1, dollar for dollar, they are TOUGH to beat...

Drive up to McKinney with your R series, I'll let you hear em on seperates, and fill your belly full of beer and suasages....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    and fill your belly full of beer and suasages....

I gotta get momma to move to Tejas.....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2002
    I am running my LSi setup (9,C,FX) on a Arcam AVR-200 (http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/cinema/avr200.html)

You're welcome to bring over the R40s on saturday, but I leave for Vegas on Sunday :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • phuz
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    I am running my LSi setup (9,C,FX) on a Arcam AVR-200 (http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/cinema/avr200.html)

You're welcome to bring over the R40s on saturday, but I leave for Vegas on Sunday :)

Cool. Saturday is the day I plan on heading up to Audio Source and getting the cables/interconnects - and maybe an amp. How about I drag my R40's over tonight or tomorrow night? Or maybe you can come by and tell me what you think of my setup?

Don't get me wrong, what I have sounds good - and Steve's setup is a good step or three up from what I have so it's expected that it would sound better. I just think I can get a fuller, warmer sound out of what I have. Cables shold help for sure, and I'll know this weekend.

I'm also starting to wonder if it just might be the acoustics of the room (a really oddly layed out apartment with an angled wall/glass door and bookshelf on one end and completely open to the dining room on the other end) that is causing the problems.

If I do end up getting an amp, I will most likely keep my HK and just use it as a pre-amp. I will eventually have some LSi speakers, so if I buy anything from this point on I want it to be in preparation for the LSi's.

BTW, I forgot to mention the improvements that I am looking for are for music - other than minor volume adjustments throughout viewings this setup is excellent for movies.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and keep it coming! :)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2002
    I can bring over that Arcam A65 tomorrow night (have to do defensive driving tonight), that will be easier than lugging speakers (you can borrow for a few days). Shoot me an email with address/directions.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Can I 'borrow' it when phuz is done?

What a guy....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

What a guy....

Cheers,
    Russ

If you'd move away from the hellhole of a city DALLAS and move to a REAL city like Austin, then I'm sure you can borrow whatever you want. ;)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Yea, if you want to. I don't mind. It's a 2 channel amp only.

Of course, borrow then buy works even better :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    As one that was stranded in Dallas area for 10 years, and after years of therapy, I can say that I'm cured of my phobia of big hair and country music......OH.....and TX can just dissipate off of the face of the planet as far as i'm concerned........(nothing personal....y'all)

Hasta :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • phuz
    edited August 2002
    Ok I've come to the conclusion that one of the major problems is my apartment, speaker placement, and my listening location. I spent a couple of hours last night moving some things around and adjusting a few things on my receiver and I got to a point where I was fairly pleased with the sound. Then again, it's been over a week since I've been over to steve's and I could have just forgotten how good his setup sounded. ;)

Either way, my stuff won't compete with his - so I've decided to upgrade to some LSi's when I have the chance (and money) and go from there. If anyone here can get me some LSi15's for less that a grand please let me know! :cool:

Thanks for all of the help, it won't be forgotten. A local place called Audio Systems is having a sale on some NAD gear ($750 for the NAD top end 5.1 receiver) this weekend, so I may get a new reciever anyway. I'll let you all know what I decide.

I'm getting a new digital camera this weekend so you will all see just how whack the layout of my apartment is very soon! Thanks again.