SDA SRS2 tweeter and cable

Options
hqdb
hqdb Posts: 13
edited February 2007 in Troubleshooting
I just bought my first SDA speakers yesterday for $200 and they need two new tweeters and the SDA cable. Can I replace my SL2000's (which have a red SRS stamp on the rear label) with any SL2000 from another speaker (say model 8 or 10 from ebay), or does it have to have the SRS stamp? Also, if I were to upgrade tweeters, is the SL2500 (from newer model 8's and 10's) or the SL3000 a better tweeter? These speakers were pretty inexpensive and I dont want to sink too much money into them and ruin a good deal. Next, how do I make a new SDA cable, as I understand the blade/pin version is not available for sale. I noticed a few threads about soldering ends on some speaker wire, but there is mention about common grounding and things which I am unfamiliar with...can someone help explain the home manufacture process. Thanks!
Garage System - The only room where I can "Turn IT UP"

HK Receiver/CD Changer
Polk SDA SRS2
Polk RTA 15TL
Post edited by hqdb on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. You can (and should) get the new silk replacement tweeters from Polk customer service; just give them a call and mention you're a forum member. You'll get a discount plus free shipping.

If your interconnect is the pin/blade, you can just use any decent speaker wire to connect the pins. You do need a common ground amp to run these speakers.

Good luck!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Also, for the pin/blade interconnect you can take the speaker wire--12-14 guage,insert into a male rca connector,remove the "collar" from it,and you will have a decent/secure homegrown cable.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hqdb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    How can I get one of these Polk Compendium books? I tried to send a message to DarqueKnight but because I am a new member I can not send private messgaes yet. It really looks like a great resource and exactly what Im looking for.

But does anyone know if these mid-woofers , with all sorts of varied 65** numbers are interchangable? I was thinking of buying a pair of the smaller bookshelfs for parts but am not positive the drivers are exact models.

Thanks for the help!

HK Receiver/CD Changer
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Polk RTA 15TL
  • hqdb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks! How do I contact Darque Knoght? I tried sending a personal email but the system will not allow it since I am a brand new member. The compendium looks like a great resource.

Also, does anyone know if the all the 6.5 inch midwoofrs are interchangeble? If I were to buy a small bookshelf set for parts, could the woofers be used in the larger SRS series?

Thanks for all the help!

HK Receiver/CD Changer
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Polk RTA 15TL
  • hqdb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HT Rookie,,,this may be a stupid question, but whats a common ground amp? I am running a HK 120 WPC receiver to them now, but may buy an older Adcom, Onkyo, or Carver amp to power them using the HK pre-outs in the future. I have to wait and see what they sound like when all is fixed- I havent even fired them up yet.

HK Receiver/CD Changer
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Polk RTA 15TL
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    Options
    hqdb wrote:
    HT Rookie,,,this may be a stupid question, but whats a common ground amp? I am running a HK 120 WPC receiver to them now, but may buy an older Adcom, Onkyo, or Carver amp to power them using the HK pre-outs in the future. I have to wait and see what they sound like when all is fixed- I havent even fired them up yet.

Adcom GFA 555 mk2 Common ground...Carver TFM 55x common ground. If an amp is selectable to be bridged is is USUALLY common ground. Always check with the manufacturer .
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Options
    If you have a multimeter, just measure ohms between the negative binding posts (black speaker outputs); you should read 0 ohms (or very close to 0).
    Most amps are common ground, but there are a few that are not; if you use a non common ground amp, you might fry your speakers/amp/both.

Not all MW drivers are the same, and some are not interchangeable; in this link you can find a list for your speakers:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=sda

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman