Joe Rogan Busts Carlos Mencia....

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
....for stealing jokes, to his face.

This is not work safe or kid safe. Very language heavy.

Link

Pretty hilarious.

Another funny Joe video brutalizing a heckler...
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    You know, that's really not news. Comedians are constantly ripping each other off. It's not just Joe Rogan and Carlos Mencia. Rogan has been accussed of stealing jokes before too. When he was on Last Comic Standing as a Celebrity Talent Scout, Rich Vos was screaming at him about stealing material.

Hell, watch any one of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVDs and then go look at thier individual material. They rip each other off all the time.

I even remember when Denis Leary was getting accused fo stealing jokes.

Besides, at one point, everybody has ripped off Rodney Dangerfield.

A comedian is funny because of how he/she tells the joke not because of the joke. The ones that argue over who wrote the joke, who stole it and so on and so forth are missing it. It seems though that every time one of them gets successful and another one of them gets jealous, the accusations fly. In the end, it's all silly BS. Tell me jokes, make me laugh and I'll be fine. My world isn't going to end because Joe Rogan and some Jewish guy I never heard of are ticked off because they thing Carlos Mencia stole thier material.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Denis Leary is still often accused of stealing jokes, especially by Rogan. Most commonly he is accused of directly ripping off Bill Hicks.

Just because something is common doesn't make it right. I actually agree with Rogan on this for the most part. Of course many comedians are going to be directly influenced by others and take ideas for material, but directly stealing someone's act isn't right no matter how much you try and justify it. Sure, for the end consumer (you) it doesn't matter, you just want to laugh. For comedians, someone is taking their livelihood. They make their money through jokes, and it's a creative process, and someone is stealing it. Just like you, I just want to hear something funny, but if I were a comedian, or any other kind of performing artist, someone staeling my **** wouldn't fly.

Side note, who would ever argue with Joe Rogan? That guy is frightening.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    I find this thread incredibly unfunny...

Treatise on the Discourse of Comedians: Volume XII
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    I know it happens all the time, but ripping off jokes that blatantly is pretty funny to watch someone get busted on. Especially when they lie about not opening for one of the comedians. Then not only does that particular comedian show up to bust you out, but they have the video of both of you telling the same damn joke.

I didn't know much about Joe Rogan other than his thing on fear factor. I couldn't believe how badly he ripped that chick. It was friggin' awesome.

I'm not your boyfriend, I don't need to listen to your effin' yapping!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    I'm with ya Demi... I think it's glorious. Stand-up comedy is probably the toughest medium in entertainment and the best comedians verge on being a part of a secret society tantamount to the Skulls. They take their craft very seriously and unlike many musicians, actors, or artist in general, have a great appreciation for the history of their livelihood. Taking a dump where they eat is generally not smiled upon.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2007
    Rogan has been asked to take a break from coming to the club for awhile and was fired by his agent, who represents both comedians. $$$>morals
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    How does an agent fire their client? Isn't usually the other way around?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    I love Joe Rogan.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2007
    I saw Mencia live and, IMO, he's a jackass. He performed material from his TV show along w/ "new" material for the "Punisher" tour. Totally pissed me off. You don't want to hear the same jokes over again in person. It's not like a concert when I want to hear the band play my favorite song.

He did admit to being only half Mexican during the show. I'd heard about Rogan ripping him because he's Hondurin.

Point is I think Carlos is an asshair. My $.02
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    Back when I was in college, Jon Stewart (back before he got really big with Daily Show) came and did a show. He was almost booed off the stage because people had heard all of the material before. I thought he was ok, but didn't know any of his previous stuff.

I also saw Adam Sandler live, and everyone loved that show.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Back when I was in college, Jon Stewart (back before he got really big with Daily Show) came and did a show. He was almost booed off the stage because people had heard all of the material before. I thought he was ok, but didn't know any of his previous stuff.

I also saw Adam Sandler live, and everyone loved that show.

Same freakin' deal at my college, except we landed Kevin Nealon:rolleyes:
    Ten or more years after his heyday and I swear he was doing the whole Hanz and Franz bit -- sans Dana Carvey. It was pathetic.

He got heckled so unmercifully by a roaring drunk student population that he cut his set short 10 minutes into the act. Not before hurling a few expletives and throwing the mike down.

Some kids were actually climbing on stage and heckling him. He had nothing. It was kind of sad and infinitely hilarious.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2007
    The only new stuff Jon had to say was right at the beginning, at he was dissing the town our college was located in (bumblef*, NY basically). It was funny, but I guess its not too smart to piss on the locals. He also just wasn't into it. Didn't seem like he gave a damn, and his set was really really short compared to Adam's from the previous year. I guess he may have cut it short since he wasn't doing so well.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2007
    I forgot, we also got Jay Mohr. He was pretty funny as well and way better than Jon. This was all between 1997-2001.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Roughly the same years as me:) ...
    I think to add insult to injury, the campus legend was that the choice was between Chris Rock and Nealon. The overwhelming vote would have been for Rock, but the decision was made by the administration...
    Who knows?

It's no longer on Sports Illustrated's website, but Jay Mohr's columns are some of the funniest bits ever put on paper. Fortunately, I printed a few of them before they were removed...
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2007
    Jay Mohr is probably the funniest stand up I've ever seen. . .even with the stage fright
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2007
    Does anyone know where I can get a copy of George Carlin's baseball players vs. football players bit? Thanks in advance :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    ....for stealing jokes, to his face.

This is not work safe or kid safe. Very language heavy.

Link

Pretty hilarious.

Another funny Joe video brutalizing a heckler...

Couldn't hardly understand anything he was saying in the heckler video....

The second one was better.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing