My ' Monitor 2 ' Bass Problem

Options
bluesfarm
bluesfarm Posts: 4
edited March 2007 in Troubleshooting
I am new to this site. Very nice so far. Yesterday I bought a pair of Polk Audio ' Monitor Series 2 ' speakers. The numbers under the barcode - M4.6 9020246. On the inside on the cross-over is 1991 stamped.
Anyway, both speakers dont have any bass. The high end is fine.I have to turn the treble down and the bass way up on my 2 systems to get any kind of bass going at all here. I have pretty good,if vintage amp-recievers and speakers like Advent Towers and other such stuff.
Do the cross-overs have a problem? All the wires are hooked up inside.
I only paid $30 for the pair at a flea market and I'd love to get these up and running. So any help to a newbie to Polk Audio would be greatly appreciated. Maybe sources for parts[cross-overs] etc.

Thanks !!
Post edited by bluesfarm on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcom to CP!

When playing music, with bass set to "flat" on your receiver/amp, can you feel any vibration on the woofer cone when touched lightly?

Is this happening with both speakers?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bluesfarm
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi- Very little vibration.Yes,the same on both speakers.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You may have cross-over probs, contact:

Customer Service:
    polkcs@polkaudio.com
    9am - 6pm, M-F, EST (USA)
    800-377-7655 toll free phone
    410-764-5470 fax
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bluesfarm
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks! I was guessing that might be the problem. I'll call tommorrow and then let you know what they say.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm betting the woofs are seized.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bluesfarm
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Siezed woofers? Whats that? Never heard of it.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited March 2007
    Options
    meaning they don't "hit". i had that issue with cheaper speakers, but never polks. somehow, they just stopped excurs-ing. if that's a word...
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.