Anyone clean their engine?

2»

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    There's definitely things you shouldn't place a lot of water pressure on in an engine bay, (usually not the stuff that gets most greasy in the first place) so having stated that. I'm not sure I would tell anyone to do this if they knew Jack about engines in the first place.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Yikes!! Talk about a cramped space. I bet that engine bay was loads of fun to run wires thru.

Nice Yellow Top too. I think Im going to get one of those.

One thing Ive learned stepping down from trucks - in a truck, pretty much any replacement battery will be in the neighborhood of 800 CCA's. My trusty Honda has a puny 400 CCA battery and all the aftermarket replacements (Diehard, Duralast et al) are all 400 CCA. One good bass hit during judging and my battery would implode.

Looks like Im gonna have to stick an additional $200 in my install budget for a Yellow Top.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    Do you have a full sized battery in there?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    No. Its a tiny little Honda battery.

Actually, looking on Optima's website, the battery they have that will fit is only 500 CCA.

That sucks.

I guess mine will have to cut it. Im only running 500 or so watts so I hope itll hold up.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    You should really look into the Kinetik 1400. Its the most powerful battery that ive found thatll fit into those locations.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/KINETIK-BATTERY-KHC-1400_W0QQitemZ300081053507QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300081053507
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Thats not a bad price. You wouldnt happen to know the reserve capacity on those would ya. Thats a more important spec to me than CCA. SQ is judged with the car off and 3x shows has 3 judges. So you figure 20 minutes per judge and your system can be running off the battery for an hour!

• exalted512
    edited February 2007
    http://kinetikaudio.com/hc1400.asp

I didnt see it listed there but you can contact them and ask. Thats the brand I'm running, my co-worker is using a 1400 in his Si, and thats the brand that my boss and the majority of his team use in SPL and SQ
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
  • GLN305
    GLN305 Posts: 96
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Cool. Thanks for taking my post how I meant it instead of blowing it out of proportion.

I guess it is generally safe to take a water hose to an engine bay. However, I have been told my several members of Jeep forums and by several mechanics that I shouldn't stick a water hose under the hood of my Jeep. I guess some Cherokees are an exception? :confused:

I just noticed that someone later in this thread mentioned exactly what you are talking about...lol. The frightening thing is I would expect a Jeep to be the last thing to be "water sensitive"...LOL.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    I know I don't think FrankZ would go 10k+ feet in the mountains with a Jeep that couldn't get wet.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    I know I don't think FrankZ would go 10k+ feet in the mountains with a Jeep that couldn't get wet.

On the latest generation of Cherokee, the computer is near the top of the engine compartment on the driver's side (in a place that's unlikely to get wet under typical off-road circumstances).
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Is Jeep the only vehicle which has the computer in the engine compartment? IMHO got to say that maybe the worst place to put it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Also I maybe wrong but I'm thinking FrankZ Cherokee is from the late 80's or early 90's I wouldn't call that the latest generation.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• GLN305
    GLN305 Posts: 96
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Is Jeep the only vehicle which has the computer in the engine compartment? IMHO got to say that maybe the worst place to put it.

I had a 1994 Dodge Dakota and a 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T and both had their computers under the hood. I blasted them at the car wash constantly with no problems. Matter of fact a friend of mine has a 1993 Dakota with no fenderwells so that his tires can clear when he drops the air suspension and the computer is under the hood just above the tire...it gets soaked in th rain.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    FrankZ's Cherokee is of the '97+ generation. Mine, a '95, is from the previous generation.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited February 2007
    I just have a hard time believing they would design a vehicle around the principle of the fact water will never touch the following object ever, period.

I mean if you sit there and just hit it with a direct stream of water for 10 minutes - you might get some issues.

Im talking about a mist of water over the entire engine in laps... rinsing off the cleanser.

If your jeep no longer runs after that point - something far more serious was most likely wrong.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Greg Peters
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Also I maybe wrong but I'm thinking FrankZ Cherokee is from the late 80's or early 90's I wouldn't call that the latest generation.

I don't know what year FrankZ owns.

I own a '98 ('97-'01 are mostly the same in the placement of the computer, I believe). '96 and later should also be OBD II. I was only speaking to the later models because I haven't been under the hood of the earlier ones for a lot of years.

Under the hood isn't the ideal placement for that kind of electronics. They can be a weak link on a bunch of OBD I Mopars, but it's not likely from an isolated underhood wash or one severe rainstorm. I'm sure they're engineered to withstand the usual type of exposure that comes with typical use. A casual rinse may be OK, but I still wouldn't nail mine with a stream of water intentionally.

edit: actually, after looking up his thread, Frank Z has a '97, a year earlier than mine...same computer placement. Maybe I knew this subconsciously ;) .
  • Greg Peters
    edited February 2007
    Someone using their Jeep for hardcore off road use (as in someone running a remote snorkel intake for traversing water) would be the best one to ask as far as the water in the engine bay dilemma. It might be an idea to bag the computer for that kind of usage.

On an unrelated note... I used to have an (original) Austin Mini. The distributor was almost dead center behind the grill, radiator mounted lengthways on the side of the engine compartment. Every heavy rain storm, I'd soak the distributor going through the first big puddle I'd hit, kill the engine dead, and have the honour of pulling the cap off at the side of the road until I could dry things out enough for the engine to fire. I conferred with other Mini owners (pre- internet forums) and found the solution was to take a houshold rubber glove and cover the distributor, sealed with a rubber band at the base, and feed all four plug wires plus coil wire through holes carefully made in each finger tip before routing to engine/coil...end of problem :D .

Granted, the Mini is an extreme example (Lucas electrics bad), but the point is you can't always count on the OEM to take all things into proper consideration :D .