Anyone clean their engine?

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anyone clean their engine on a regular basis.

I clean mine about once a year and regularly armor all it throughout the year. But once a year Ill take some all purpose cleaner, drench it - let it set a minute or two then rinse it all off.

I find its easier to find leaks, work on stuff, so on and so forth.

Heres a pic of it -

Sadly right after I took this pic a small pin **** hole came about in one of the hoses for the radiator.

So I had to clean it again, this time its even cleaner than whats in this pic - but Im to lazy to take more pics.

Haha.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    If those pics were big enough for diddly, I think I'd say 'good job'.

I was going to wash off my engine once like that, but was informed my electronics in the engine bay wouldn't take to it too well. Being too lazy to clean smaller areas at a time versus just spraying down the whole thing, I've not cleaned it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I covered the distributor cap and the intake...

But this is the 3rd time Ive washed it now without any issues, so... Ive gotten pretty comfortable with it...

Ill take more pics tommorow - I really drenched it today. I got down into crevices and everything. Good stuff.

Even around the oil cap it clean down and the firewall is pretty clean.

Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited February 2007
    I detail cars trucks etc.. In the spring/summer/fall time

I must give you props, for such a clean engine, there's so much more you benefit from having a clean motor than looks .
    When it comes time to work on it at least your not wearing 10 w 30 as cologne!

I clean my car, as often as it gets dirty, which comes to 100 times a year. Wax my car I'd say 10 times or more a year. Impulsive behavior. No just make my paint job have a constant gloss all year round.

I cant tell you how many compliments I get a year...Priceless..
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    I remembered I had the pics still on my camera. Heres larger versions...
  • joeaudio26
    edited February 2007
    I remembered I had the pics still on my camera. Heres larger versions...

Where's your power wire at?
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    Yeah I hear you on the waxing - I am usually very anal about it.

But I just dont enjoy cleaning/detailing my truck in the winter. Jesus H Christ - way to cold.

So I keep the interior clean and take it to the car wash every few months just to keep it respectable, armor all the trim to keep it black. ETC...

But winter is way to cold to be out there 6-7 hours. Haha.

Very cool though, yeah the compliments make it worth while, and just knowing your vehicle isnt a disaster is as well. Haha
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    joeaudio26 wrote:
    Where's your power wire at?

Hmm? Im not a big mechanic nut here, power wire?
  • joeaudio26
    edited February 2007
    Hmm? Im not a big mechanic nut here, power wire?

Don't you run a amplifier?

Also, I don't clean my car in the winter either, take out garbage but that's it. As soon as spring hits, I drag out all my equipment and I'm outside for 12 hours..:D
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    Im not much into car audio sadly...

Im a big Home Audio guy - I just like to come here and talk about detailing and ask questions about the problems with my truck if they ever come up. Been good advice so far.

Lots of cool folks here.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    All kidding aside does the Power Ranger help you get laid?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• joeaudio26
    edited February 2007
    Im not much into car audio sadly...

Im a big Home Audio guy - I just like to come here and talk about detailing and ask questions about the problems with my truck if they ever come up. Been good advice so far.

Lots of cool folks here.

That's home audio.....:eek:
  • GLN305
    GLN305 Posts: 96
    edited February 2007
    Don't be afraid to hose off any 1990 or newer engine. I have been showing cars for 13 years now and everytime I wash any of my vehicles I po the hood and treat it like the outside. I haven't had a single problem yet. My theory is that if you can drive in the rain, what can a washing hurt....and it's proven correct..lol
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    I clean my engine once in a while. I go through the car wash and put the engine degreaser on it. On my other Maxima, I would cover the intake (Jim Wolf Pop Charger) and that was all.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    GLN305 wrote:
    Don't be afraid to hose off any 1990 or newer engine. I have been showing cars for 13 years now and everytime I wash any of my vehicles I po the hood and treat it like the outside. I haven't had a single problem yet. My theory is that if you can drive in the rain, what can a washing hurt....and it's proven correct..lol

Maybe in your limited experience, but sticking the water hose under the hood is a far cry from driving in the rain. As far as I can see, driving in the rain wouldn't get but at most the bottom half of the engine bay wet, and not very wet at that. A water hose is going to dump water from the top, already getting a whole new slew of items under the hood, and there's going to be a lot more water and at a much higher pressure. You really can't compare the two, and, not trying to be a jerk about it, but you shouldn't say that it's fine based on such a limited experience as yours and no solid facts.

You could wind up with somebody really mad at you that way.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Maybe in your limited experience, but sticking the water hose under the hood is a far cry from driving in the rain. As far as I can see, driving in the rain wouldn't get but at most the bottom half of the engine bay wet, and not very wet at that. A water hose is going to dump water from the top, already getting a whole new slew of items under the hood, and there's going to be a lot more water and at a much higher pressure. You really can't compare the two, and, not trying to be a jerk about it, but you shouldn't say that it's fine based on such a limited experience as yours and no solid facts.

Unless the engine bay is sealed off completely on top like some cars, I don't see the harm. When it rains, tons of water comes into my Avalon's bay dues to the grill and water running down the windshield. While just soaking your engine or using a pressure washer is dumb, I see no harm using a spray nozzle.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Again, trying not to be a jerk about it, but you said you 'see no harm in it'. You have any experience or knowledge of engines and their electronics to allow you to reach such a conclusion in theory? If so, then good, I guess the matter is settled. If not, I still don't think anything has been proved.

Water coming in the grill is not likely to get past the radiator, I wouldn't think, and so wouldn't have any affect on the engine or the electronics in the engine bay.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    I should do it Trey, at least more often.

Looks a lot better granted, and will certainly help with resale value.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    You would be a moron to take a direct stream of water to anything in the engine... lol

I squeeze the nozzle a little bit to get a very wide spray going and just step back a foot or so and rinse everything off gentley... all it is all purpose cleaner - it does most of the cleaning.

Then I uncover everything and start it up and let it run for a little bit. The engine does alot of the drying itself - drive around the block, come back and dry it off....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
    Daily driven for almost 4 years. I would spray it down with Simple Green and hose it off. Never had any problems. I would even have standing water where the plug wires went into the head.

14_56_big.jpg
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    That is an immaculate engine bay. Kudos!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Nice Josh :)

For the record I never had an issue cleaning an engine bay from old late 60's to anything modern. They are all the same if it does start when done I wouldn't drive it in the rain. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I would hate to work on that thing...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:
    Daily driven for almost 4 years. I would spray it down with Simple Green and hose it off. Never had any problems. I would even have standing water where the plug wires went into the head.

Be honest now. The only reason it's so clean is because there's no room in that engien bay for the dirt to fit! ;)

BTW, disneyjoe, if I'm not mistaken on the picture you are referring to, that is NOT a Power Ranger. That is Optimus Prime and he's a Transformer. Get it stright, would ya? Geez! :p
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GLN305
    GLN305 Posts: 96
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:

Let me go ahead and reinforce what I mean. I have friends that detail cars at dealerships, they all wash engines. All of my friends that show their cars all wash their engines. When I wash a family member's car, no matter how old....the engine gets washed. Keep in mind I usually do my engine washing at a high pressure car wash bay, so alot more pressure than a garden hose. It really is safe and if something does happen to your engine then there was a hidden problem waiting to happen anyway. Most people find problems washing the ditributor/coil area if the wires haven't been properly treated with the dielectric grease and other waterproofing chemical that are available and come on the car from the factory. I understand you weren't trying to be a jerk...neither am I, you are right that if I was underinformed or underexperienced that I could make someone mad, but I am neither. Keep thos cars clean!
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    BTW, disneyjoe, if I'm not mistaken on the picture you are referring to, that is NOT a Power Ranger. That is Optimus Prime and he's a Transformer. Get it stright, would ya? Geez! :p

Sorry DINK reporting and factor in my age ;)

BTW he didn't respond to the question, mind you it's not my business either. :cool: I posted it to bring a smile to the older members on this board, but it's funny to the others also since I don't know a Transformer from a Power Ranger. I mean WHO knew????

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    I mean WHO knew????

I did! :D
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    GLN305 wrote:
    Let me go ahead and reinforce what I mean. I have friends that detail cars at dealerships, they all wash engines. All of my friends that show their cars all wash their engines. When I wash a family member's car, no matter how old....the engine gets washed. Keep in mind I usually do my engine washing at a high pressure car wash bay, so alot more pressure than a garden hose. It really is safe and if something does happen to your engine then there was a hidden problem waiting to happen anyway. Most people find problems washing the ditributor/coil area if the wires haven't been properly treated with the dielectric grease and other waterproofing chemical that are available and come on the car from the factory. I understand you weren't trying to be a jerk...neither am I, you are right that if I was underinformed or underexperienced that I could make someone mad, but I am neither. Keep thos cars clean!
    Cool. Thanks for taking my post how I meant it instead of blowing it out of proportion.

I guess it is generally safe to take a water hose to an engine bay. However, I have been told my several members of Jeep forums and by several mechanics that I shouldn't stick a water hose under the hood of my Jeep. I guess some Cherokees are an exception? :confused:
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited February 2007
    I actually thought he was calling my truck a power ranger... as if he thought it was a Ford Ranger.

I never made the connection with the Optimus Prime action figure - haha.

Granted, he would of been/was wrong in both scenarios. However... lol
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Trey, Ok I put a smile on your face too.

My work has been done.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Cool. Thanks for taking my post how I meant it instead of blowing it out of proportion.

I guess it is generally safe to take a water hose to an engine bay. However, I have been told my several members of Jeep forums and by several mechanics that I shouldn't stick a water hose under the hood of my Jeep. I guess some Cherokees are an exception? :confused:

Chrysler made (including post-buyout Jeep) engine computers can be kinda sensitive to water, and aren't cheap to replace even with a used one. If I were to do an engine bay detail on mine, I'd be extra careful not to subject it to direct streams of water.