House was burglarized

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about this Bro, my home was burglarized once and they got a lot more than what they took from yours. . . I felt violated and was uncomfortable in my own home for about a month. . . I slept with a bat and sword next to me for that entire month. The thing I felt most was anger.

Glad to hear that it wasn't too bad for ya though.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    You mught want to do some research on the dog, both its effectiveness and the right breed for your situation. A dog is going to keep a casual thief out, but as seen on the TV show mentioned, and also as has been a couple of my business associates experience, a stun gun or pepper spray will pretty much quickly neutralize a dog and the neighbors just thought it stopped barking because it recognized its owners. For inhome protection, NY laws are a little tough on gun ownership, so invest in a good Surefire light. If you shine one of them directly in a threats eyes, they will be temporarily blinded.

Good luck with the insurance, glad no one was hurt!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    For inhome protection, NY laws are a little tough on gun ownership, so invest in a good Surefire light. If you shine one of them directly in a threats eyes, they will be temporarily blinded.

NY is tough on Handgun Ownership, which is arguably the worst home defense weapon. As for a shotgun, you don't need a permit for that, just a quick background check. And yes, as I mentioned earlier, a shotgun attached with a Surefire Light is the way to go. You can get wall mountable safes that will keep little fingers from getting to those weapons as well while allowing for quick access if needed.

Remember as safety tip for those that don’t know… If you are home and someone has the stones to come in while you are there, get the family safe, call 911, get your weapon and stay put. Let them take your 30k HT rig and anything else they want. The worst thing to do is to take your weapon and go looking for them in your home. That gives the ‘Perp’ the advantage depending upon your home layout. Let the Dog take care of him. If the dog is disabled or not useful for any reason, the final deterrent before deadly force is used would be the “Schlack’ Schlack” sound of putting one in the chamber. If they are higher than the empire state building, and keep coming, it is then time to do what’s necessary. No warning shots either!!!!! There can only be one side of the story or a jury will somehow find sympathy for the ‘perp’ and you’ll be the one facing time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Or do what the farmers used to do when I was growing up....
    Load up that shotgun with rock salt,can't tell ya how many times I was digging that crap out of my ****.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    tonyb wrote:
    Or do what the farmers used to do when I was growing up....
    Load up that shotgun with rock salt,can't tell ya how many times I was digging that crap out of my ****.:)

And they were firing rock salt at you why.......
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    And they were firing rock salt at you why.......

So as not to kill you....but keep you of their land and away
    from crops or livestock.Stings like a ****
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dkg999
    edited February 2007
    Use the rock salt on the driveway to melt the ice. If you have justifiable reason to fire a weapon, make it count. And as mentioned previously, there are few things that deter a perps actions like the sound of a shotgun being shucked or the sound of a .45 being racked. Thanks for the clarification on the NY gun laws, I thought the NYC prohibitions applied to both handguns and long guns. There is hope for our east coast states after all!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2007
    You are correct about NYC. Those laws do apply to Handguns\Shotguns\Rifles in the 5 boroughs of NYC, but they do not in Nassau & Suffolk County on Long Island which is where this incident happened. I thought you meant all of NY. My bad.

Edit - There is no hope in states like NY or MA when it comes to guns. They should all be as open as PA!
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    On an old repeat of Mythbusters the other day they showed how easy it is for someone to throw themselves through a door even with a deadbolt. Doorframes aren't particularly thick, so that's usually the path of least resistance...

probably about 15 years ago i got an unusually high number of calls for kick-ins that went on for several years.

after a few of these i had a local steel fabricator make a bunch of steel L angles that were probably between 2-3' long to keep in stock. i can't remember for sure, but i think the long leg might have been about 3 1/4" and the short leg, maybe 1 1/8".

i installed them on new replacement doors and doors and jambs that could just be repaired. if the door and jamb weren't being replaced, i would remove the casing and fasten the angles to the liner stud behind the door jamb and inlay the short leg of the L into the jamb, then reinstall the casing. i drilled holes through the jamb larger than the screws used to fasten the angle. after fastening the angle i filled the holes in the jamb with a dowel.

used in combination with stuff like security deadbolt strikes and deadbolt casings for the door, it really made it difficult to judge where the weakest point of the door system would be. i'd imagine someone kicking a door and jamb set up like that would stand a better chance of limping away than waltzing into the home. homeowners who had been kicked in obviously thought it was pretty cool and wanted one installed every single time. it also turned into a pretty decent niche and became a strong selling point when i sold replacement doors to folks that had never been kicked-in.

i think i remember that there were manufacturers that made similar hardware, but they were difficult to find when i was looking for them and they didn't look as beefy as what i had. today things may be different.

for the random 'this looks like the best target on the street' break-in there are a couple of things to be aware of in addition to alarms and dogs.

the last house on a street and doors that are obstructed from neighbors' view are more likely to get kicked. also, anything to make it noisier or even just appear to make getting in take just a little longer from the time of the big noise until they're inside can help too. i tend to think that even a locked storm door or a step up into the door might make the difference between picking your house and one down the street.

)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you & yours are safe & unharmed.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    I agree Michael. We want to get a dog but were planning to get it after the baby is born. However, now that this happened we are thinking about how we could try to get the dog sooner

You can get the dog first and the bring something home from the hospital with the babbies sent on it at night until the baby comes home. Watch getting a dog from the shelter. If it's a puppy, it's no big deal. But if you adopt a full grown dog try to see if you can get one that the owners gave up. Most times the ASPCA will ask them questions like" is he/she good with kids. It's great that you want to adopt rather then buy. Lots of great dogs out there with no homes.

Sorry you got robbed. Thats a damn shame and alot to deal with.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Dont forget to look for any spare keys that may be missing. For your house or cars. Would suck for someone to let themselves in when you are out for an evening and take the car for a drive.

Also be aware of any computer hardware that may have had sensitive info on it. (like it remembered your account and password for online banking and such.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited February 2007
    Get a nice safe and bolt it to the floor....Put all you valuables such as jewlery,cash,etc in it.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I saw something online that said prisoners that were in jail for B&I were interviewed and about 85% of them said that they would go to the next house if they heard a dog.

I wouldnt get a dog before the kid though, some are pretty picky about having someone else in the family after it was 'their' family first
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Really sorry to hear that...9 out of the 10 houses I do burglary reports on do not have an alarm. If you do get one, get the cellular feature if the line is cut.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about this burglary. I'm glad you and your's are okay. Any dog that barks is a major deterrent. Alarms are also an effective deterrent. If wouldn't recommend a gun unless you are comfortable with it, and are prepared to use it. Most people are not.
    Carl

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited February 2007
    thanks for the kind words and tips guys/gals

These guys appeared to be interested in small items. They didn't take my laptop that I had in my livingroom and they didn't take my external hd.

They mostly took jewelery, including my wife's engagement ring and wedding ring:mad:
    (she had been wearing another ring I gave her; pregancy = swollen fingers)
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    They mostly took jewelery, including my wife's engagement ring and wedding ring:mad:

Check the local pawn shops. Don't just look in the cases, ask the person behind the counter. If you have pics of the rings/jewelry bring them with you. You would shocked at how stupid thieves are.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Check the local pawn shops. Don't just look in the cases, ask the person behind the counter. If you have pics of the rings/jewelry bring them with you. You would shocked at how stupid thieves are.

The pawn shops have to hold them for 90 days (I think it's 90 - at least here) before they can put them for sale. That's so the burglary detectives have time to go through their inventory.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited February 2007
    We went into 3 pawn shops to look around.

Wingnut: I'm gonna call my detective to see if we have the same 90 day rule here. Thanks for that info
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    The pawn shops have to hold them for 90 days (I think it's 90 - at least here) before they can put them for sale. That's so the burglary detectives have time to go through their inventory.

30 here in mass. An old friend of mine owns a pawn shop.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2007
    Not sure how long you have been married, but many diamonds have an engraved code on them so they can be positively identified. I may not have the technical terms correct, but I know they are marking them somehow.
    DKG999

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about that, that sucks. Just do what you have planned already and you should be fine from here on out.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    (she had been wearing another ring I gave her; pregancy = swollen fingers)

He should be castrated for that!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    IMHO home which have been robbed will be robbed again soon, what they missed they now know what you own beware.

Sorry to hear that I don't like to learn that fact from anyone.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    so invest in a good Surefire light

I agree completely. I bought one of the low to medium end ones and found that a short blast in my eyes throws me off for a some amount of time. I plan to buy one of the bigger ones for added safety. Forget the gun, buy a baseball bat. With them blinded for so long you have plenty of time to enjoy yourself. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I agree completely. I bought one of the low to medium end ones and found that a short blast in my eyes throws me off for a some amount of time. I plan to buy one of the bigger ones for added safety. Forget the gun, buy a baseball bat. With them blinded for so long you have plenty of time to enjoy yourself. :)
    madmax

Plus you can't get shot! I've heard of people who pulled their gun and weren't really ready to use it and were shot by their own gun. I think I rather get hit with my own bat!.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Plus you can't get shot! I've heard of people who pulled their gun and weren't really ready to use it and were shot by their own gun. I think I rather get hit with my own bat!.

People who buy a gun for self defense and aren't ready to shoot someone if necessary shouldn't own a gun. 9 times out of 10 these people put themselves in atleast twice as much danger by pulling a gun and not having the ability to shoot it in a self defense situation.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2007
    As far as the dog goes, if you do get one before the baby gets here, definitely take something home that the baby has worn at the hospital. We had my father-in-law take home the little stocking cap that they put on her head immediately after she was born(while she is still icky and stuff). We have had our dog for 5 years and the two of them are best friends.

Sorry about the house, but congrats on the upcoming baby!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    Never touch a gun until you are ready to fire it at someone. Obviously unless you are target practicing or whatever. That's my belief.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D