House was burglarized

Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Came home on monday afternoon to find my side door kicked in (they closed the door so I really couldn't tell until I opened the door and noticed the door frame was split). I ran through the house quickly and noticed some things moved around. Called 911, cops came and searched the house. We waited outside for the detectives to arrive. The detectives took pictures, dusted some items and took other items to the lab.

The scumbags took my digital camera, camcorder, etc. They also took a lot of jewelry among other things.

My instict was telling me to get an alarm and I was just talking to others here last week about getting an alarm. I was doing some research on different alarms so I didn't have one when they broke in.

I had to replace my door that night, bought new deadbolt (old door did not have a deadbolt) and a new knob. A neighbor from another block approached us as I was replacing the door and said someone had tried to kick her back door in at 8:15 a.m. However, she has a rottweiler and they took off after the dog went nuts. She said the detectives got fingerprints from her door.

Of course, I called an alarm company and I will have my alarm installed in the next couple of days.

Detective said to also get a dog. He said it is very rare that they will enter the house with a dog barking. So I'm gonna head out to the local animal shelter to adopt a dog.

Our families have been over heping us out with things and they have been a big help.

Anyway, just moving on from this and had to vent a little to CP. If anyone has any other ideas, please chime in.

Mike
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear that, glad no one was hurt brotha.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Freakin' A... that sucks! Glad everyone is safe. I've been looking into alarm systems myself of late.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear, hope everything turns out alright for you. I wish someone would break in my house, I adopted an older Military working dog and he would still be happy to eat someone who was a stranger.

Good luck and take care,

Mike
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Wow.... That sucks major. Hope they catch those scumsuckers and let them fend for themselves in prison.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2007
    if youve ever watched "it takes a thief" that show has some great tips to deter thieves. Number one of whch is always an alarm for starters but they do have some other great tips that make you go "i would have never thought of that"
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    That sucks. I hope you had insurance. We have deadbolts on all our doors. They could still get in, but it would make a lot of noise and isn't particularly easy. I have never owned less than 2 dogs (three at one time). They stay outdoors in a fenced in back yard. Walk anywhere on our property and they bark like crazy. They are better than any alarm system. We are fortunate that in 25 years we have never had a break-in. I think the dogs have a large part in that.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    That sucks. I hope you had insurance. We have deadbolts on all our doors. They could still get in, but it would make a lot of noise and isn't particularly easy. I have never owned less than 2 dogs (three at one time). They stay outdoors in a fenced in back yard. Walk anywhere on our property and they bark like crazy. They are better than any alarm system. We are fortunate that in 25 years we have never had a break-in. I think the dogs have a large part in that.

Yes we have homeowners insurance. I set up the claim yesterday and am waiting for the claims dept to come by.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2007
    You can try this:
    http://www.x10.com/security/x10_dk9000.htm
    I hope you have theft insurance.
    At least they didn't take your audio gear.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    On an old repeat of Mythbusters the other day they showed how easy it is for someone to throw themselves through a door even with a deadbolt. Doorframes aren't particularly thick, so that's usually the path of least resistance.

An alarm or dog is really your best defense.

Sorry to hear about that though, man, that's a huge bummer :(
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2007
    Better check for missing checks and ID. Lately, they have been blowing past the big electronics,
    and taking stuff less risky. Jewelry is hard to trace.
    Social security cards and private info seems to be the new big score.
    Some local woman who had been robbed found someone at a flea market selling fake SS cards.
    There was a stack of cards with her number on it!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    if youve ever watched "it takes a thief" that show has some great tips to deter thieves. Number one of whch is always an alarm for starters but they do have some other great tips that make you go "i would have never thought of that"

I started watching that show recently. They actually did a radio dj's house who works at one of the rock stations here
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    Better check for missing checks and ID. Lately, they have been blowing past the big electronics,
    and taking stuff less risky. Jewelry is hard to trace.
    Social security cards and private info seems to be the new big score.
    Some local woman who had been robbed found someone at a flea market selling fake SS cards.
    There was a stack of cards with her number on it!

Yep, we checked and still have all of our checks and SS cards, credit cards etc.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Glad you're okay. It's a very disgusting feeling you can't describe unless you've been through it. Hope you end up dealing with the after affects okay. That's the worst part. :mad:
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2007
    Are you in Suffolk? It makes that article from Newsday the other day look like a bunch of crap. Come to think of it, Newsday is a bunch of crap. There is a lot of that going around right now in LI. Just be thankful you were not home. If it's going to happen, better you and your family not there. You’re on the path but be sure take the extra steps.

1.) Alarm and be sure to place the signs outside.
    2.) Dog with a very intimidating bark
    3.) Wireless Camera on your entrances so you can use his\her face in court when they plea “Not guilty your honor”
    3.) Pistol grip, 18" Remington with a SureFire light attachment. You want to be sure you blind them in the dark and see what is coming at you. NY is very friendly to perps regarding the use of deadly force.
    4.) Be willing to do what is necessary in the event you are home and it happens again.
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Glad you're okay. It's a very disgusting feeling you can't describe unless you've been through it. Hope you end up dealing with the after affects okay. That's the worst part. :mad:

Exactly.

Add the fact that my wife is due 3/9, it has been difficult
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Dog is a good idea,also lighting,make sure all your entry ways are lighted.
    Sorry to hear this,never thought Long Island had this problem.As long as you and the family are ok thats all that really matters.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    m00npie wrote:
    Are you in Suffolk? It makes that article from Newsday the other day look like a bunch of crap. Come to think of it, Newsday is a bunch of crap. There is a lot of that going around right now in LI. Just be thankful you were not home. If it's going to happen, better you and your family not there. You’re on the path but be sure take the extra steps.

Yep, I am in Suffolk. Funny, the detectives and I were talking about that article. They said it is not 100% correct.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2007
    tonyb wrote:
    Dog is a good idea,also lighting,make sure all your entry ways are lighted.
    Sorry to hear this,never thought Long Island had this problem.As long as you and the family are ok thats all that really matters.

Recent Article from Newsday...

"The raw numbers are startling: There were 6,410 burglaries in Nassau in 1986 and 2,170 last year. In Suffolk, police say there were 11,153 two decades ago and 3,373 in 2006."

Statistics may show it is getting better, but those #’s are still very high despite the population on LI
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about that, bro.
    I live here too.
    Be thankful it wasn't one of those "push-in" robberies that I've been hearing about lately around the Island.
    Nothing in the house that can't be replaced when it's all said and done, though.
    I was actually planning on getting a system myself recently; I guess this is my wake-up call. We'll see how much I remember about low-voltage wiring ;).
    Good luck with the HO insurance, too.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    polrbehr: set up that alarm.

These f!ckers even took my wife's hospital bag!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Mike682 wrote:
    Exactly.

Add the fact that my wife is due 3/9, it has been difficult

Based on that, I would wait until the child arrives to get a dog. Let the dog come into chaos rather than come into a smooth family environment that is chaos after the child arrives.

The child does not have to be very old, but I think it will help if it is already there when the dog arrives.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Mike682
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    Based on that, I would wait until the child arrives to get a dog. Let the dog come into chaos rather than come into a smooth family environment that is chaos after the child arrives.

The child does not have to be very old, but I think it will help if it is already there when the dog arrives.

Michael

I agree Michael. We want to get a dog but were planning to get it after the baby is born. However, now that this happened we are thinking about how we could try to get the dog sooner
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear about this. My apartment was burglarized in December '05. I don't think I've ever been as pissed as I was that night, knowing that some strange **** was walking around in my place going through my things. Fortunately I have renters insurance and they took care of everything. The **** ended up taking about $5k worth of stuff, but it was all small things that could be put in a bag (which (s)he stole too). My ex and I lost 5 years of digital pictures on her laptop that we had never backed up, which was probably the most significant loss.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:

Michael

Excellent advice. ^^^ Not help... absolute necessity, IMO.

I could relate a near-horror story with a neigbor of mine, his baby boy, and his Doberman. Thank God he got rid of the dog after he snarled at the baby.
    BTW, the Dobie was there first. Right on, Mc.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    I too have be a victim of a home burglary. One thing that I found hardest to deal with is going to sleep at night. I would suggest that you start a load of clothes in the washer and dryer each night. A dog will help with the sleep factor.
    As I do not have a dog yet I am still doing laundry.

In regards to the dog. Please be a responsible owner as well. Pick a dog that will suit you life style and room requirements.

Steve
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear that man. The main thing is no one was hurt. The rest can be replaced.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear that. Have had my car broken into and stripped twice, can only imagine what a house is like.

Material goods can be replaced. Lives cannot. Be glad no one was home.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Sorry to hear that. But hey, you get to get a dog!
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    Man, that sucks. I hope they catch them. And good on you for going to the animal shelter, the best animals in the world are there if people would only give them a chance. A dog from there will likely love you more and be more grateful than a store bought etc.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2007
    That was great advice on picking a dog that fits your environment/lifestyle. Too many times I've seen owners pick a dog that doesn't fit. It's miserable for both the owner and the animal.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3