How many bums hit you up every day for coin?

2»

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Well, that sounds like fun!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    My mom said no, but since she is heading into a grocery store, she will be glad to purchase them some bread and peanut butter so they can at least eat something. The deperate homless womens comeback was "My children prefer McDonalds".

Sometimes you just have to wonder about people.

I stopped wondering a long time ago, and just stuck with preconceived notions instead. It's served me well.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    I don't get hit up as often as some of you, but I usually try to give at least something. Not always just for them, but for me, too. Though people will abuse generosity, I want to do what I can to remain generous. I've found that if I never give, my heart closes up, even when it should be open, like when a need is real.

I know, "but by giving you're encouraging panhandling." I know. There's a balance somewhere & I guess I'm just trying to get there. If I give to everyone, I get taken advantage of. But if I give to no one, my heart grows hard, and I think that's even worse.

Either way, taint easy!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Downtown Chattanooga is getting really bad about bums these days.

I deliver kegs for a living so I tend to get annoyed when Im out there working my **** off in the heat/cold/rain and some bum asks for money. I usually tell them "I work too hard for my money to just give it away".
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Though people will abuse generosity, I want to do what I can to remain generous. I've found that if I never give, my heart closes up, even when it should be open, like when a need is real.

I know, "but by giving you're encouraging panhandling." I know. There's a balance somewhere & I guess I'm just trying to get there. If I give to everyone, I get taken advantage of. But if I give to no one, my heart grows hard, and I think that's even worse.
    So give to your church or a homeless shelter. If someone asks for money, just direct them to the charity of your choice and offer the fact that if they need help, they will get it there.

I consider panhandlers (in most cases) as taking money and charity away from the people who really need it. Assuming you would give some amount of extra money to a charity of some sort and what you give to the panhandlers takes away from that contribution.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    So give to your church or a homeless shelter. If someone asks for money, just direct them to the charity of your choice and offer the fact that if they need help, they will get it there.

I consider panhandlers (in most cases) as taking money and charity away from the people who really need it. Assuming you would give some amount of extra money to a charity of some sort and what you give to the panhandlers takes away from that contribution.

Michael

Yup, I do that. We have a food bank and benevolence fund for people in hard times as well. & Our church gives lots away. Handing something - almost anything - to these folks just gets it to a more personal level for me. Giving to shelters and churches is a great way to get help into people's hands, but something deeper happens in me when it comes from MY hand & goes straight into theirs.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    I don't get hit up as often as some of you, but I usually try to give at least something. Not always just for them, but for me, too. Though people will abuse generosity, I want to do what I can to remain generous. I've found that if I never give, my heart closes up, even when it should be open, like when a need is real.

Either way, taint easy!

I wrestle with the same thoughts.:)