How many bums hit you up every day for coin?

Polk65
Polk65 Posts: 1,405
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Snap. Here's a little stress for you.
Post edited by Polk65 on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    I have a corner grocery on my block that I walk to for a quart of milk or a six-pack. There have been times that I have been hit up 5 or 6 times on a single jaunt. We're only talking about 50 yards here. I swear they line up...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    do my kids count?:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    I need to hit the testing grounds more often. This was supposed to be multiple choice :(

Though I contribute to "centers" I can't feel any guilt saying no to the same bums laying on the streets near where I live all day long, every day.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    I don't live in the city anymore, so zero.

When I was in school, I"d say 2-3 a day.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    there's a mandatory Newark NJ street tax........there's allways someone asking for money on one particular streetcorner (not in the winter, but in the warm weather. i just dont give them money anymore, I just say I am working, and dont carry money.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    Same here it seems. Every street corner.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    Every time I visit a city. In yellowknife they seem to ask people more for smokes.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    We get them at the intersections with the signs mostly. I have to admit I get a bit irked when I see they have two arms and two legs and appear capable of working instead of begging. I mean who knows with mental illness and all but hell I am nuts and I still drag myself to a job I can't stand.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    At least 10 times a day when I am working down on the Dan Ryan.I used to take my kids,when they were small,to lower Wacker Dr.and hand out food,clothes,blankets,most would be happy until they started to get upset at you for not handing over some money.So needless to say,had to stop bringing the kids down there.Being the curious **** that I am,I started to check into shelters and visited quit a few.To my surprise,they were all half empty,in the middle of winter?? So here is the jist of it all,the shelters offer a bed,clothes,food,free medical care,free job placement....but with one catch.Yes there has to be one.They require you to attend church service 2-3 times a week at 1-hour a pop.Seems fair to me considering the return you'd be getting.Yet,they remain half full.So my respect level has shot down a few notches when I drive by and see someone sleeping under a bridge in the dead of winter.Sad....really sad.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    I have a bar on the other corner and it's funny to pass some guy scrounging for change, deny him, and watch him follow you into the bar and order a shot. I've seen that happen far too many times...

In fact, I've had one follow me into the bar and yell at me for not giving him change, and then order a drink...

too funny
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    The last time I gave money to a transient was when I gave $5 to a guy who turned around and walked right into a liquor store across the street. I'd actually be more likely to give one of these guys money if they told me they needed it to buy booze instead of some **** story about the car breaking down, needing bus fare, etc.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    That's funny you say that Demi because that's the new "plan of attack" around here....

They tell you straight up they'll be using it for booze. At least to younger individuals. I suppose they are attempting to play on "common interests"
    I've been out partying with a bunch of people and a bum says he wants to get drunk and needs your money to help him do so. Invariably, someone in the group yells "Rock and/or Party On!!!" and slings him some ducets.

9 times out of 10, the conversation starts... "I ain't gonna lie to ya..."
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2007
    I see a lot, but only occasionally offer anything to. Usually it is someone that is very convincing and I have never seen before. Its sounds heartless and uncaring, but consider this. I usually see the same ones for years now on the NQRW line from 34th to 57th street. And it appears some of them are the heaviest people in NYC.

Some of these folks are pros at what they do and do well with the endless amount of tourists that come into the city. Sadly, others truly have hit bottom. Most times, it is impossible to tell the difference between the two.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    We get them at the intersections with the signs mostly. I have to admit I get a bit irked when I see they have two arms and two legs and appear capable of working instead of begging. I mean who knows with mental illness and all but hell I am nuts and I still drag myself to a job I can't stand.

Nice...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2007
    i'm a dick. i ask them if they accept visa. many of them are beligerant. they piss me off. don't approach me when my kids are with me!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Just the same bums, every day. I call them dependents. One mother, one wife, 2 daughters, and two dogs.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    tonyb wrote:
    At least 10 times a day when I am working down on the Dan Ryan.I used to take my kids,when they were small,to lower Wacker Dr.and hand out food,clothes,blankets,most would be happy until they started to get upset at you for not handing over some money.So needless to say,had to stop bringing the kids down there.Being the curious **** that I am,I started to check into shelters and visited quit a few.To my surprise,they were all half empty,in the middle of winter?? So here is the jist of it all,the shelters offer a bed,clothes,food,free medical care,free job placement....but with one catch.Yes there has to be one.They require you to attend church service 2-3 times a week at 1-hour a pop.Seems fair to me considering the return you'd be getting.Yet,they remain half full.So my respect level has shot down a few notches when I drive by and see someone sleeping under a bridge in the dead of winter.Sad....really sad.

At my last job, we had a storage yard under the Dan Ryan at Cermak -- there was practically a homeless city under there. Throughout the year it was packed. I would get nervous sometimes just going through the gate and driving around, but no one ever bothered me -- probably because we had to call the cops to clear them out several times after stuff started disappearing off our equipment.

I don't see them so much in my neighborhood even though I live in the city, but whenever I go downtown it's a constant barrage of them asking if I can spare some change. I refuse to give them any money, knowing that all they're most likely going to spend it on is booze and/or drugs.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    I hit people up at lunch time. Hey bud, got a quarter? I need another LP to listen too tonight and the GoodWill just raised their prices.

Works every time.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Polk65 wrote:
    Snap. Here's a little stress for you.

Well that depends, what do you classify as a bum?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    The big one in Philly is Dunkin Donuts. . . they line up out there begging, holding the door for you. . . I feel bad for most of them because they are usually mentally ill so to thrwart the using the money for drugs or booze, I buy them a cup of coffee or a donut and give it to them. Some times two of them at a time.

Most likely the ones that aren't really hungry and are really on the hustle will probably sell the coffee and donut to one of their peers for a discount.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    The big one in Philly is Dunkin Donuts. . . they line up out there begging, holding the door for you. . . I feel bad for most of them because they are usually mentally ill so to thrwart the using the money for drugs or booze, I buy them a cup of coffee or a donut and give it to them. Some times two of them at a time.

Most likely the ones that aren't really hungry and are really on the hustle will probably sell the coffee and donut to one of their peers for a discount.

My friend bought a guy a burger at the burger stand outside of a bar once that was begging for money. He actually threw the burger at him and stormed off all pissed that he wasn't given money. :rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Well.... maybe he was a vegetarian....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Well.... maybe he was a vegetarian....

I think he was more of an OldeEnglishatarian. :p
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited February 2007
    I won't give money when asked.

I was working at a shelter for a while and the "day old bread" truck would come by and give away (what else?) "day old bread".
    These bums would turn around and try to sell the bread to the people behind them in line.

I will toss a couple of bucks to the hopeless bum sleeping in a pool of urine, why? I do not know.

The last time I was in S.F. I actually gave this one guy a bottle of orange juice. It was winter and he was honestly appreciative of the jesture. I just handed it to him as I walked by and I kept walking while he was talking to me so he couldn't ask for anything more and ruin my moment.
    Then after the wife and I had a wonderful dinner I offered my leftovers (in a container with a plastic fork) to a young girl who was quietly on the corner (in front of the restraunt we were leaving) with a hat in front of her. She also seemed to appreciate the gesture.

The fact is I have kicked down my spare change to some bum only to have him say "that's it?"

WTF?

I'll take your handout but if it is not what I expect then I will try to make you feel bad.

P.S. I was really looking foreward to those leftovers and I hope she enjoyed them.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    I used to get approached while in college. I used to look at them and say "Dude, I'm a college student. I should be begging YOU for money!" Half of them didn't get it, the other half laughed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited February 2007
    I think Ive seen maybe 2 - max, my entire life around here. Usually up in the Salisbury region.

Place is a dump though... don't like going there.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    BIZILL wrote:
    i ask them if they accept visa.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Jstas...I think I'll have to try that next time.

I've only been approached for money twice that I can think of.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2007
    I live in an area that has been bum free until about a year ago. Now at every major intersection in my town and other surrounding areas there is a bum holding a sign. It's like Bum Incorporated did a demographic survey and determined our area was ripe for expansion.

This morning at 6:30 am it was -2 degress and the bum on the corner was jumping up and down to keep warm. Although I was laughing my **** off, I kind of felt sorry for the guy because I know darn well he's got to stand out there for a long time before the bum boss man picks him up. Still didn't give him ****.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    My mom was approached for the first time (that I have heard of) in Peoria(not downtown) as she was heading into a grocery store. She was told by the woman that her kids were hungry and they didn't have any food - can she spare a few dollars for them.

My mom said no, but since she is heading into a grocery store, she will be glad to purchase them some bread and peanut butter so they can at least eat something. The deperate homless womens comeback was "My children prefer McDonalds".

Sometimes you just have to wonder about people.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    The trick is, when they are just about to say something beat them to it and say " hey man ya got a quarter?" Most of the time they just look at you like your nuts and walk away. I did have a guy get pissed at me when I was on a job at 30th street station and chase me with a razor though.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880