Purchasing an LCD...

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
So im in the market for a new 32" LCD.

A friend of mine mentioned a brand I haven;t heard of before called "olevia"

Whats the word on these LCD's? any good?
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited February 2007
    I've heard good things about Olevia (sp) units. I just purchased a 32" Scepter from costco for my daughters and its looks really good.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    Let's put this way...

Usually whatever brand you choose, it will still be made in China.

As long as the picture looks good to you after calibration, and you have a good return policy wherever you purchased it, I say go for it!

Mike
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    So im in the market for a new 32" LCD.

A friend of mine mentioned a brand I haven;t heard of before called "olevia"

Whats the word on these LCD's? any good?

Check out the Hitatchi line. I did a ton of research, and they had the best PQ I could find in that size. Granted it was a year ago.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2007
    www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com

good technical reviews..scoured thatsite before i ended up buying my 32" LCD.
    I ended up going with a Shap Aquos. It had excellent reviews for pretty decent prices.(bought mine at bestbuy for $800). I am definitely happy with it.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited February 2007
    You may want to consider a Vizio as well. Picture quality to me equalled all others I compared, but beat the price considerably. Impressive specs too. Carefull when you compare - not all sets have HD tuner built in.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited February 2007
    Yep. I'm about to buy a 46" Vizio for my bedroom. At 1500.00 and Sam's return policy, its a no brainer.:cool:
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2007
    I've had no issues with my Westinghouse and I've had it for about 7 months.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2007
    ND13 wrote:
    I've had no issues with my Westinghouse and I've had it for about 7 months.

Same here ND... Its been over a year for my 32 and it is serving well in my bedroom. About 6 months after the 32 I also purched their 37" an it is great for living room duty. I think the Westinghouse is good bang for the buck and they are very reliable in my experience.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2007
    HBombToo wrote:
    Same here ND... Its been over a year for my 32 and it is serving well in my bedroom. About 6 months after the 32 I also purched their 37" an it is great for living room duty. I think the Westinghouse is good bang for the buck and they are very reliable in my experience.

HBomb

I've got the 37" and plan to get the 46"(1080p) in the future.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Just bought a 32" Samsung last night off Amazon. Free white glove delivery and no tax. Wally World can't beat it. Plenty of connections and 4000:1 contrast. Its for the spare bedroom. Will use it for gaming and guest. I also got Creative Labs best I-Trigue speakers for sound. Also through Amazon and got a $50 rebate to boot. I am pretty excited to get it setup.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2007
    Got my Samsung and CL 3800's in. Very nice combo they make. They both physically look awesome. I am blown away by the picture on the Samsung, and thats just the PS2. I can't what to see high def on it. I can't imagine the PQ could even get better. I have to buy some cables. Fun stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2007
    I keep hearing rave reviews about the westinghouse 1080p 37". Supposedly the best bang for the buck for that size lcd's, but make sure and get a "W3" model.

The [H]ardocp forums are full of good info on displays (and lots of other goodies) as well:

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2007
    I was watching the home shopping network were they sell the hell out of Westinghouse. Even comes with a built in dvd player. Just like the Visios, only 1000:1 contrast. That's part of the bang for the buck part. My Sam has 4000:1, huge difference. Just recent shopping research. The first gen Visio "last year" has a 600:1, ouch!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,182
    edited February 2007
    The Sony's and Samsungs are pretty nice for LCD. I have 45 inch Sharp LCD in my masterbed. What sucks about LCD is movement. When things get fast the LCD's go blurry. Even the very best ones do it. My Sharp does it. HDTV looks great when nothing is moving to quickly.
    Black levels are a **** to get right on the LCD's as well. It's a balance game thats hard to win if near Impossible. Mine in my masterbed on the wall so I don't care that much. For what I paid for it, it works just fine.

Good luck getting a new Tv.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like a nice tv Dan. My research says the opposite. I got mine for video games, because fast movement and burn in are suppose to be superior to plasma. Because they have 8ms or less refresh rates. My Ps3 looks amazing. I have two racing games and they play perfect. No blur or distortion what so ever. Seems much more "3D" than plasma also.
    I have noticed that blacks are hard to dial in, but the contrast and brightness are awesome.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Got a Westinghouse super cheap a couple years back. . . 32" model name is somewhere in my sig.

Like it alot, especially since it was marked from $1299 to $899 and then I had some coupons and reward zone points for it as well.

Needless to say, a great bedroom/secondary TV, especially for the price! Also makes a mean Computer monitor by plugging in a $10 SuperVGA cable.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2007
    Due to my research and recent purchase, i put this together if anybody is interested.
    I have recently been researching flat panels. I was reading this web site on LCD vs Plasma. http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Here is my understanding.
    Note: i do believe/agree the Pioneer Elite Plasma's are the best tv's on the market. If you morgage your house.

Pros and Cons

Constrast/Black Levels Advantage Plasma
    COLOR ACCURACY Advantage Plasma
    VIEWING ANGLES Advantage Plasma
    COMPUTER USE Advantage LCD
    FAST-MOVING VIDEO PLAYBACK Advantage Plasma
    HIGH ALTITUDE Advantage LCD
    LONGEVITY Tie
    SCREEN BURN IN Advantage LCD
    PRODUCTION SIZE AND COST Advantage Plasma
    POWER CONSUMPTION Advantage LCD
    PRICE AND RESOLUTION Toss Up

Plasma 5 LCD 4

Now i would have to say this article has to be at least 2 years old and LCD has made leaps and bounds since then.

CONTRAST / BLACK LEVELS
    at the time the time the highest LCD on the market was barely 1000:1
    Samsungs LCD's have a 6000:1 contrast now. Entry level of 3000:1

VIEWING ANGLES
    at the time the highest LCD was 125 degrees. The Samsungs do 178 degrees with ease.

COLOR ACCURACY
    Depends on room lighting. LCD's clearly better in a well lit room or at least equal.

FAST-MOVING VIDEO PLAYBACK
    Clearly have been dramatically improved. Standard refresh rate is about 8 ms.
    LCD's have the computer market. My 19" Xerox has a rate of 7 ms. These are CRT numbers folks.

LONGEVITY
    The only wear on a LCD is Flouresent back lighting. Estamated life is 50,000 to 60,000 hours and they are replaceable. But just like "recharging plasma's"
    manufactures don't want to talk about it because thier tv would last "forever". Not good for bussiness.

PRODUCTION SIZE AND COST
    LCD was years after manufactering of Plasma's. LCD is catching up fast.

New score card
    5 ties
    Plasma 1 LCD 5