Wtf?

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Man, Yesterday morning....I was on top of the world. Looking fwd to a two week vacation in New Zealand, two weeks of no work....I had the whole day to myself to listen to tunes. Cool, right? Well work calls, come in, you are going TDY. What? I think not! Anyhow it's not until next month and it's only a week....I can deal with that but dicking around with the preparations (as I won't be here for the next couple weeks) consumes the vast majority of my day. Rat ****.

Then about 4 yesterday afternoon, it all started to unravel. First started with a phone call from United Airlines (automated) basically informing me that our flight had been cancelled, weren't rebooked automatically due to lack of available flights. HUH? I've got a wedding in Auckland NZ on Saturday, not to mention a sizeable chunk of money invested in airline tickets etc etc....So, I'm on friggin' hold forever and it keeps hanging up on me.

Eff it. Ima go listen to a record while I wait. Clean my hella cool copy of Morph the Cat....lower the stylus, turn up the volume.....NOTHING.

Say what? That's right NOTHING. Okay, so now I'm starting to panic. Turns out the amp ain't coming on. This is decidedly uncool. So, I pull the input tubes reinstall, wiggle the crap out of them. Hit the power button. Still nothing. MF this, MF that...miserable CSer this, rotten CSer that. Stomping around, pissed off and red as a 'mater. Stub my toe on the door casing. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK. Fortunately, I don't think it's broken.

Anyhow, shoot Russ an email. Still no word from United. No amp, no plane ride. LORD! Why has thou forsaken me. I just KNOW somewhere Cliff has got a BDT voodoo doll and is having a blast.

Well, in the meantime....I finally get the amp to come on. VERY little volume and distorted as crap. Well, the transformers work so that's a plus. Finally get someone to pick up at United.

An hour or so later, all flights rebooked (leaving a day later still be in time for wedding)....Russ is reassuring me that we can fix it. We have the technology (Six Million Dollar man, anyone? Hell, these days 6M ain't buying **** let alone the bionic eye which I thought was hella cool).

Anyhow, things seem to be getting back on track.....thank goodness.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    Life kicks ones **** sometimes........been awhile for me but I know I got one coming.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • TroyD
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I was overdue.

All you can do is laugh and have a beer.

BDT
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    ROFLMAO!!:D :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry you had such a rough time for a while Troy, but all's well that ends well!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • TroyD
    edited February 2007
    Well that and I learned that I can curse for 41 minutes without repeating myself.

Cool, huh?

Jeeze, I could never get divorced, I'm already having seperation anxiety over the amp. I shipped it today and I keep going in the Manncave and looking at the hole where it goes.

Jeeze, I'm getting all misty.
    BDT
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    Have fun in NZ Troy and let us know how it is. My boss has been trying to send me there for a year and I may have to give in. While I Despise LOTR's, Zena the Warrior Princess may get me there. Have a safe trip.
    Venom
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Im sitting 3 states away form home for the past 10 days and I yearn to hear from my 1.2tl's. Nothing like your troubles but dang I only got to listen too them 2 days before I had to leave on business...grrrrr
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    I'm not relishing in your anguish brother but that first post was effing hilarious. . . it's as if you were typing while the tantrum was on!!!! LOL . . . ROFLMREO!!!!

Sorry to hear of your WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    I like the part about the toe the best. :p

Where's a video camera when you need one? :D

Hope you have a good time! :)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like you are having a bad day, but all in all making the best of it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Troy man I know how you feel bro. Dont worry it will all get better. Have a great time in NZ i've heard nothing but good things about NZ and would love to go there myself someday.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    How funny.I was thinking of Xena too when you mentioned New Zealand. I remember the gorgeous scenery in that show. I am so jealous. I wish I was going there. Have fun.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    Stub my toe on the door casing. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK. Fortunately, I don't think it's broken.

That sounds like my life. IF there's anything within toe stubbing distance, I'll find it.:mad:
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Life is suck. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    **** could allways be worse, If Russ says the amps can be fixed, then i think we can take him at his word. dont panic :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Well that and I learned that I can curse for 41 minutes without repeating myself. BDT

Dam, I thought I was good.

I stand with head bowed, humbled.

:o
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    yeah i wish there was a hidden camera at Troy's house.. and it made America's funniesst home movies. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    Dude, I've stubbed my monster **** toes many a time around the house. At times, they've litterally brought me to my knees with tears it hurt so bad! I'm convinced I'll be crippled in another 15 years and not have any toes left!

Thank the lord no cameras are around!

John
    No excuses!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    How funny.I was thinking of Xena too when you mentioned New Zealand. I remember the gorgeous scenery in that show. I am so jealous. I wish I was going there. Have fun.

Great minds.....

I had a buddy who was in love with Lucy Lawless. I liked her sidekick. Lucy is probably about a foot taller than I am...it never works out :(
    Venom
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!:D :D

Have a Great time in NZ Troy, and give a AIIIIIIIIII for me in Xena's honor!!!:D
    venomclan wrote:
    Great minds.....

I had a buddy who was in love with Lucy Lawless. I liked her sidekick. Lucy is probably about a foot taller than I am...it never works out :(
    Venom
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Well that and I learned that I can curse for 41 minutes without repeating myself.

I have been rebuilding the kitchen in the condo I own for my kids at college. The other day did one of the "hit the thumb with the hammer" moments...not the full on thumb bash...but where you just catch the tip end and the thumbnail cuts into the skin and a blood blister the size of a walnut pops up hit. Just as I was about to cut loose...my daughter walks in...I just about exploded keeping it in. Oh well...better she learns all those words from her future husband instead of me. (she probably already knows all of them anyway...:rolleyes:)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2007
    I was scheduled to fly to Ottawa (Ontario) yesterday at noon via Newark. Checked the flight status before heading to Washington National and the first leg was cancelled (WOOPEE!! Who in the hell wants to voluntarily go where it's 9 below zero?) Rescheduled the trip for this morning, and the leg to Ottawa was cancelled. Trip scuttled. Plus, the office is closed today.

Put Albert Collins' "Don't Lose Your Cool" on the table and everything sounded perfect.

Thanks for creating the Yin for my Yang, BDT! ;)

You and Wendi have a great time on your trip!
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    Tickets, amp, and toe.. Thats all 3!! You should be gtg now!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    :) The only thing missing Troy............
    is you didn't get your **** caught in the zipper !!:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    Some very good friends of mine moved to New Zealand for a year and the pictures they've sent back have been gorgeous. They live and work in Auckland. It looks like it would be a great place to visit if only the airfare wasn't so damned expensive.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    I have been rebuilding the kitchen in the condo I own for my kids at college. The other day did one of the "hit the thumb with the hammer" moments...not the full on thumb bash...but where you just catch the tip end and the thumbnail cuts into the skin and a blood blister the size of a walnut pops up hit. Just as I was about to cut loose...my daughter walks in...I just about exploded keeping it in. Oh well...better she learns all those words from her future husband instead of me. (she probably already knows all of them anyway...:rolleyes:)

That reminds me of that cartoon where the dog is responsible to keep the place quiet while his master sleeps and the antagonist keeps sticking pins or planting nails for the dog to step on. . . the dog puts his hands over his mouth, runs out the door and about two mile from the house and starts screaming to high Heaven. That was the visual in my mind of you Shack.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, so the story is getting better...

All flights today CANCELLED.

I KNOW Cliff is somewhere just laughing his **** off. So now we aren't leaving until tommorow morning out of Columbia, SC (at 7AM). We end up getting to Auckland NZ 9 hours before the wedding we are going to. Ain't life grand.

Oh yeah, and I still got no figgin' amp.

BDT
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Damn, Troy. Sounds like my last couple of days. Work has been a nightmare. I'm putting in serious hours with futile results.

Anyway, hopefully things will get better for the both of us. I was onfire at work all last month (big commission check :) ) and two weeks later it feels like a year since I closed a deal. I'm not sure I could close a book right now.

Murphy's law, I guess. This is what I get for going to Cabo instead of visiting my grandma for her 90th birthday party.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2007
    Welcome to my nightmare!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    Well, since you wont need the Magnum's for a while, send them down, otherwise they will have to get all broken in again.

I am here for you Bro.

BTW--I thought I heard St. Cliff humming Onward Christian Soldiers while cutting off the head of chicken.

RT1
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    Hey, I just thought of something: my ex-wife is in New Zealand !

TroyD, have a nice trip !!! :D
    Sal Palooza