Ionic Breeze Air Purifier Thingy

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone ever use or currently still use tho Ionic breeze air purifiers?

I am currently have a hard time dealing with the air quality where I live and wondering how well these work? Also, do they remove alot of the dust particles from the air? I currently have 3 computers running at all times in my little apartment, as well as my home theater and numerous other electronics that I think are contributing to the poor air quality.

I live in a basement apartment with nothing but 1 tiny little window which is not optional to open.

What do you guys suggest?

And don't suggest for me to move, cause it's not an option at the moment.:p
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    And don't suggest for me to move, cause it's not an option at the moment.:p

What about becoming a gigolo and move into a rich woman's house? :D
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    My bestfriend/roommate as does her whole family and they love them. I can definitely tell a difference in her room compared to mine and others. Just makes it feel "cleaner"
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • bassaholic
    bassaholic Posts: 315
    edited February 2007
    I have heard they don't work at all.
    Pioneer SC-37
    RTiA9-fronts
    CSiA6-center
    RT55i-surrounds
    SVS PB13 Ultra & PSW650
    Monster Power 3250 amp
    Monster Power 2250 amp
    Monster Power HDP-2500 surge pro.

Denon 3805,CS400i,RT25i's & FX500i's sitting in the basement collecting dust
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    bassaholic wrote:
    I have heard they don't work at all.
    Same here.

I remember a lawsuit was filed against The Smarter Image over their upright ionic breeze units because Consumer Reports proved they did nothing.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I have one in my Master bedroom, I love it it can get dirty a little hard to clean. It will make noise or shut off automatic if too dirty, so when this happens we wife and I have trouble sleeping feel stuffed nose wise. I couldn't live without, so I say yes it does something.

BTW my cleaning idea is Silicon Spray on a rag, wipe on Ionic breeze outside of this can become very dirty looking. Soap and water, Windex, or anything else did nothing as far as cleaning it. The plate collector is a dry cloth, or if you get it wet dry it off before turning it back on.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    So some say they work and others say they don't work.

Interesting.

But if they do collect dirt and get dirty so much that you have to clean them wouldn't that mean they work? :confused:

AB any link to that consumer reports article?

Anyone have any other suggestions on making cleaner air?
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    I vaguely remember the story, now...I wasn't quite accurate earlier.

Consumer Reports tested several similar air purifiers, among which was Sharper Image's unit, and found that it did no good. Sharper Image took them to court about it...and lost.

I found this via a quick google search. Appears to be a compilation of articles about the lawsuit.

http://www.aircleaners.com/sharperimage2.phtml
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Hmm, by the looks of of those articles it seems those things will kill you.....yet so many people talk about how good they are......weird.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    This is what I use. It does great. It takes care of the whole upstairs. They ain't cheap but if they're good enough for hospital operating rooms, & other critical clean rooms they're good enough for my house. My son has asthma & we saw a hugh improvement especially in his night time breathing. Our doctor was so impressed he asked for info on the cleaner. He now has one himself. I have the HealthPro model.
    http://www.iqair.us/
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    Or, just replace your air filter in your AC
    http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/filtrete/411_ultra.html

You may be amazed at how well these things can help (So I'm told) but the nice ones are about $20 I think...
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    There's been a long debate between using ion or hepa air cleaners. I used an ion cleaner for many years and there was always a weird smell in the air, even with regular cleaning. It turns out the smell was ozone being generated by the ion cleaner. I've been using a small hepa air cleaner for years and am much happier. The air smells fresh.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    Polk65 wrote:
    There's been a long debate between using ion or hepa air cleaners. I used an ion cleaner for many years and there was always a weird smell in the air, even with regular cleaning. It turns out the smell was ozone being generated by the ion cleaner. I've been using a small hepa air cleaner for years and am much happier. The air smells fresh.

How right you are. Air cleaners that generate ozone can be down right dangerous. I had one years ago & my wife could not tolerate it. She would get headaches & felt lousy. I did some research & found out ozone in the air over a certain limit can cause all sorts of problems. Never, ever run an ozone generater air cleaner if any of your family has asthma. It is especially dangerous for them. Do a Google search on this topic, it'll be a real eye opener.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    I used a Hepa filter style and years later when I needed to replace filter (large filter designed for years of service) I couldn't find the filter. So trash it so the Ionic was in, trouble I had was the Hepa filter made noise which I couldn't sleep without it. So I needed to add a multi noise generator which is fixed on white noise (similar to fan noise). Funny if I never had the first then maybe I could sleep without the noise now?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    im gonna look into the HEPA units tomorrow at work....seems like these ionic things are out of the question.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    How right you are. Air cleaners that generate ozone can be down right dangerous. I had one years ago & my wife could not tolerate it. She would get headaches & felt lousy. I did some research & found out ozone in the air over a certain limit can cause all sorts of problems. Never, ever run an ozone generater air cleaner if any of your family has asthma. It is especially dangerous for them. Do a Google search on this topic, it'll be a real eye opener.

And I can't sleep with it off NOT WORKING :eek: I knew I was an ALIEN ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I have been curious about these for some time now...
    I really need to take the dust out of the air...it`s choking sometimes, and I`m sure it has something to do with all the illnesses that I seem to get ..all the time..

besides my gear doesn`t like the dust either..!

DJ...
    Just ask da-iry !

nanoo,nanoo
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    I don't know I need to clean mine anyone interested of a picture of the dust / crap that this thing collects?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    eewwww..!!

hell ya !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    Steve, good point. The white noise from the fan helps me sleep but it may bother those who prefer silence at night.

Some toss their hepa cleaners when they cannot find replacement filters or think that they cost too much. The main filter costs $50-$100 but is supposed to last about 5 years. HomeDepot sells a universal carbon pre-filter for $11 which I change every 3-4 months.

The first one (on the left) sucks air in from the side and bottom then pumps fresh air up towards the ceiling. If you have breathing problems this may be a style to avoid. I began waking up at night coughing so I tried another (right side) which sucks air in from the top and out through the bottom edge towards the floor. This eliminated my coughing problem. I bought these older Honeywell Enviracaire models used on craigslist for around $20

20070211hepa2ci6.jpg
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited February 2007
    I may not know much about stereo equipment, but I do have exp with air purifiers. I owned a couple of the ionic breezes. Switched to Honey purifiers that move the air and must say I like them much better. (The consumer reports articles that tout(sp?) air movers over ionic seems right on the mark). The ionic is much quieter, however the honewell with the germicidal ifd to kill germs and airborne mold has done wonders for my allergies. The permanent filters can be washed which is also a plus (like the ionic).
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited February 2007
    we have a mid-size ionic breeze. my guess is that it might work in a relatively small room that doesn't have awful air quality to begin with if it's placed in an area where air moves naturally. i have my doubts about whether it touches air from across the room without optimal placement. when we used that alone, we did notice less dust floating in rays of sunlight with it placed somewhere less than 10' from the window than with no air cleaner. but, it was a step down from small cheap noisey hepa units air-quality-wise.

we upgraded to a kenmore nano-silver hepa. if it breaks down we'll get a new one without hesitation immediately. the normal low speed is still pretty quiet after over a couple of years. it senses air quality and changes fan speed automatically. if you break wind across the room, it will know and go to work. the difference between what the kenmore collects and the ionic (just going by what's collected when i clean or change filters) is pretty dramatic. i haven't thought about it much, but i don't remember noticing dust floating in the rays of light since we've had it. but, to be fair, we've also upgraded some other stuff like the vacuum and humidifier, and the ionic is still running in a remote corner somewhere (and hardly ever needs cleaning anymore).

the filters are semi-washable and don't seem to need to be replaced as often as recommended. even with that, i'm guessing that over the long haul it won't be much more than replacing filters on smaller cheaper units that don't last as long and the units themselves, which seem to get progressively noisier after a couple of years. i haven't found a use for it, but it also has a remote control.

)

btw, if you notice a change in the amount of dust or air quality and you're coughing, clearing your throat, eyes, nose, get colds... during heating season, check your humidifier. if you have these problems and haven't paid attention to humidity, get something to monitor it and start paying attention. i think even cheap sensors will be enough to notice the pattern. as humidity levels change in the house, so will air quality and your comfort levels.

we have forced hot air with a humidifier installed on it. the humidity is adjusted manually. it must be adjusted as outdoor temperature changes.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Found 2 on craigslist: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hsh/273825064.html

Gonna give 1 of them a shot and see if I notice a difference.

Typically how long does it take to change the air quality?
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    4 hours or less but that CL ad you posted is way too much. You can buy cheaper delivered new from an online shop or used from the bay. Don't pay more than $40 from CL -- wait a week and see what turns up. Maybe another member will find a decent deal.
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    Sorry, I was referring to the older hepa filters (think of these like used amps). You can buy them new but it's like flushing $100 down the toilet. Are IFD's a hybrid ion/hepa filter? I'm not familiar with these.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    Or, just replace your air filter in your AC
    http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/filtrete/411_ultra.html

You may be amazed at how well these things can help (So I'm told) but the nice ones are about $20 I think...

They are about $16. (for a 20x20 size) You need to run your furnace fan all the time to get benefit from them. (just turn the thermostat on ON instead of AUTO.) You will end up replacing them about every 30-45days. (not the 3 months that they list on the package) It is amazing how much crap these filters pull out of the air. You can also get the model right below these (in red packaging instead of purple) for about $8.00. I have used both and they both work well.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2007
    DO NOT buy an ionic breeze. They're less than useless. I did the statistics for an article on the sources of indoor air pollution w/ one of the guys who CR cites and we talked about this a good bit. Do they remove crap from the air? Yeah a very, very, little bit, but at the same time, they kick out tons of ozone. Basically, there are no indoor sources of ozone (you might get a little from electric motors), so putting one in your house definitely increases your exposure.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    The problem with the ionic breeze is the power cord. I switched to a PS Audio cord, and it worked great!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Polk65
    edited February 2007
    Was that a double blind test?