Box number 1 almost done.......

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    The problem I have with the grill grate is it covers up the sub too much. Granted I'm wanting protection, but most of the things I'm carryin in my trunk aren't really small bar like types of things. The larger grate will keep a bag/box/etc from getting up near the sub while also allowing the sub to be seen a bit. The SR subs are kinda sexy........no need to be covering them up completely......lol.....

Then I think you just answered your own question.

I used those same binding posts on my sub box only mine was the single set of terminals. They are actually quite nice and solid. They cost me like $3.95 plush shipping.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    I still wouldn't use a cup, not with a nice, sealed SR sub. Go through all that trouble building a nice sealed box, then throw a 1/16th inch peice of plastic over a 4 inch hole to hold the binders?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2007
    Jstas,

Dude.... I don't read the car subwoofer section.. MY BAD for offering my advice, sorry about that! :)

I've not tried to stitch the pile-less carpet which looks more like tar paper, but the very low cut pile carpets I have been able to sew using a very small needle and a backstitch. It's been about a decade since I've done it, I wouldn't want to do it again (Major PITA) but that particular box did last me many many years...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    I guess while I'm ordering the grills, I should order some polyfill.....

How much am I supposed to get? Doesn't it come in sheets so it's not just free floating inside the cabinet?

Russ, the cup will be well sealed by way of carpeting and it being wedged into the box. From a sealed perspective, it will be tight and the plastic on the one I linked is pretty thick (don't have it in front of me to measure).......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    It'll be fine bro, just trying to keep your box from being ****.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Wait..you mean I can't add flashing Neon to the sides or get some of those fancy spinner grills?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Im with Jstas on the terminal cups thing. As long as the plate is sealed properly, there is nothing wrong with it. And, as mentioned, its a whole lot more environmentally friendly in the way of not getting knocked off by some bonehead throwing something in the trunk, or if you need to get them out in a hurry.

As for the pollyfill, if youve built your box with the interior volume at spec, you dont need any.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    It'll be fine bro, just trying to keep your box from being ****.

Cheers,
    Russ

SO the alternating pink and rainbow carpeting is a bad idea then??

On polyfill it's designed to artificially increase a box's volume so if your box is large enough for the subs specs then it's not needed.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    Some companies actually recommend the use of polyfill in their sealed enclosures. How much you use depends on you and your listening preferences. I recently put my sub in a bigger box, and put in the same amount of polyfill as I had in the smaller box. I did not like the sound. I took some of it out, and got it to sound the way I wanted. You can use it to tune the sound a little more...if needed.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Thats because a lot of companies spec their subs for boxes a lot smaller than they should be to draw in more customers. You can see it in magazine reviews. Brand X 12" sub is spec'd at .7 ft3 - then the magazine calls Brand X engineer and asks what size box for a magazine review and he'll tell them 1.2 ft3!

So yeah, I suppose it couldnt hurt to experiment with some pollyfill.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    This is well known....that was the case with the SR12....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    Polyfil can work in a properly sized box too. It dampens the enclosure which can improve response, especially in subwoofers. No, it's not always needed but if applied, it can yield a pleasing result.

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    So I've got one box completely done and the other will be done in the morning. I have to work on the whole black sew mark lookin thing I managed to do with the black sharpie on the staples, but whatever.......the way they'll be sitting in the trunk they won't even be seen. Also, I realized that I cut the fabric too close to the face of the box, so on the next one you won't see the cutouts within the ring where the sub will be mounted. Here's the first one:

dscn1326ec8.jpg

dscn1327my2.jpg

dscn1328bl3.jpg

dscn1329pu8.jpg

And this is what I've been using to cut the carpeting.......granted scissors might have done the job fine, but put this thing up against a metal ruler and it slices immaculately.......

dscn1331kt0.jpg

How's it lookin?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    Wow.. i think it looks great. and certainly much stronger and tigher than a pre made one. good work!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    That looks like it is going to hold something that is going to break the windows out of your car.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I swear to god if I lose a back windshield I'm gonna rage like I never have..........lol
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Nice job. Rage after you smile.
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    Glad they're done since I've gotta install it tomorrow :p

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    looks fantastic!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    That looks VERY good! Especially for a first timer!

If you have ways you want to improve it, go right ahead and try it on the second box. I like the industrial pizza cutter idea. It's hard to cut the random weave carpeting with scissors or shears. I usually ened up using a razor blade and at least one edge will get mangled. Where did you get that?

Oh and don't worrry so much about the staples in the picture. They are bright because they reflect the flash. If they are not working out for you, get some gray primer from the hobby store and a thin paint brush. Put a thin coat on them and they will disappear. Since the carpet is dull and doesn't reflect light, anything slightly shiney will tend to stick out a bit in certain light. Buried in your trunk though, you won't even notice.

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    That trimmer is a fabric trimmer that you'd get at any fabric store. They're about $25 or so and they're ultimately made to go through much thinner fabric, but they work very well. The yellow part around the blade keeps it from getting right up against any thicker cutting guide (level, more mdf, etc) but if you use a thin metal ruler you can run right along that thing. I don't remember how much the blades are, but I'm thinking around $10 or so.

I tried with razor blades and it wasn't as smooth of a motion. Blading through the sub and terminal holes as a first cut was ok, but then i just used my Cutco shears (beasts) to get the rest.

I ended up having the seam at the back, because the intended bottom of the box is now going to be the top, and it's likely that when they move to another car down the line, it'll flip over again so I figured the one side that's always going to be out of sight was the back panel. The first one didn't line up quite as well as the second, but overall I'm pretty happy.

I'm off to find some mounting hardware and then will get the cups and subs mounted tonight.

Thanks for all of y'alls help. I'll post pics once I have the boxes completed, and also after Joel helps me get it all installed.........
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    but then i just used my Cutco shears (beasts) to get the rest.

I know I love my set, Used to sell the stuff, damn high quality and i made a pretty penny for the hours I put in too :D

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    Joelsbass wrote:
    I know I love my set, Used to sell the stuff, damn high quality and i made a pretty penny for the hours I put in too :D
    i think everyone has sold cutco at least once if theyve been in college...or know of someone who has...lol

Parts express has an item called the band it or something along those lines, made specifically for trimming boxes, its what i use at work when im building boxes and it works fantastic
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it