Box number 1 almost done.......

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
110 screws later (yes, I counted), I have a box......On this one, I still have to cut out the spot for the terminal cap at the back, cover all the screws with putty (can't get all the countersinks consistent.....oh well), silicone the corners inside, and then carpet it all.

The screws are 1.5" apart and I only have 2 or 3 that bulged the MDF into the box a little bit. All in all, not a bad first ever sub box. The amount of time spent pre-drilling is crazy. Lemme know if it looks OK or if I need to change anything up........

dscn1315gh5.jpg

dscn1316hx9.jpg

dscn1317jz6.jpg

dscn1319ba1.jpg
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited February 2007
    Looks great! Just remember to let that silicone cure before **** in your sub. ;)
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Too help with the bulge of the mdf you have to predrill a lil larger than the head for every hole, If the holes are real close to the edge I would hand screw them in and watch the wood. Sometime when you use a powered screwdriver it bulges before you can stop. I used to use elmers wood glue well, I still do but gorilla glue is da bomb. also what are the dimensions on your box height and width. I have noticed flex of the mdf once you get past 12-14 inches and Install a 3/4 or 1 inch oak rod connecting to two sides together. Last 5 boxes this way and it helps , you can hear it or you can simply put another layer of mdf all over it.

By the way your doing very good for a first box . My first one didnt look good ,Your gonna do fine,

A small bead of silicone after assembly on every joint , Glue isnt always air tight , when you miss a spot or it doesnt squeeze like you planned.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Good work Brett. Youre first box looks better than mine do now. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    putting putty over the screw holes is way overkill when youre covering it with carpet...

But it looks great though
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    The putty is just cuz I don't want to eventually have wear hole patterns over the screws which will probably happen over time.......All in all, that won't be that big of a deal to get done and will prevent it from ever showing those holes......

Are the screws to close together or should I space them to every 2" ?

The dimensions of the panels:
    front: ~16.25" x 16"
    bottom: 13.575" x 16"
    rear: 11.75" x 16"
    both sides: 12.825" on the bottom, 15.25" on the front edge, 11.75" on the back edge
    top: 13.75" x 16"

I offset the sub down about 1"to make sure the huge basket wasn't going to have any hear hits with the sloped top, which hopefully will keep the weight of the sub from bowing the front panel.

I will be doing the silicone today and won't be mounting the sub until either next Sunday or later (depending on how much time I need to allow for the fumes to dissipate. I'm just waiting to get the terminal cap cutouts done before I start throwing sawdust into the box on fresh silicone.

As for finishing screws around the sub, what are generally recommended since they're going to be visible? I don't want to use wood screws.....
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    that looks solid Brett.. You may just have found yourself a new side job. :eek: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    No........side job would imply I have a primary...............lol........hopefully soon.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    I usually screw 3" apart. MDF splits really easily when drilling into the side like that, putting too many screws too close together will actually decrease the holding strength. Even in my boss's SPL box that he uses for competition, i only screwed it every 4"(granted i used 2.5" screws), but like I said, **** too close can split the wood.

I use wood screws for **** my subs in...lol. Generally, people dont look at the type of screws you used...and I dont either, so it doesnt bother me.

Maybe you can get some hex screws or something that looks a little better?
    -Cody
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I will space them out to ~2" - 2 1/4".......that should still give me plenty of structural support.

Hex screws are probably it..........just have to find some in black and with the right head.....
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    Looks perrrtty :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited February 2007
    Time to open up you're own enclosure building shop..nice work.:p
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Hey, that looks pretty nice, Brett! Congrats!

You going for another one?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    are you planning on removing these boxes a lot? Where is your amp located?

Reason I'm asking is because I prefer not to use terminal cups. I just drill a small hole, put the speaker wire through, and caulk it.

If your amp is easily accessible and you will be taking these boxes out from time to time, Id rather disconnect it from the amp than use a terminal cup.
    -Cody
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I finished the second one and will post pics in a bit....

The reason I built them into separate boxes was so that I at least had the option to remove them if need be. The amp will be swung to the side like my original install, but on the right side of the trunk instead of the left. I'm not saying I'm going to be moving them around a lot, but I don't want to keep getting into the amp to unhook the subs...
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Thats fine. What kind of terminal cups did you get? You didnt get these did you?
    41974-atsattc2.jpg
    -Cody
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    no......5 way binding posts, except it's a set of dual terminal caps.....i'll just wire it so one is connected, but i have 2 pair on each cup......

how do you get silicone off your hands? lol
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Ok, those arent bad at all then.

Silicon? When I used to care, I would scrape it off with a razor blade...lol. Now it just stays on my hands pretty much 24/7 since I build so many at work.

Acetone works good too though.
    -Cody
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Ok..both boxes are assembled and siliconed up. My friend who was going to loan me his jigsaw forgot to bring it (when he was returning his kid to his ex) and he lives about 3 hours away, so that's not gonna be in my hands until Friday evening. I figure that if I can get at least a week's airing out of those boxes then I should be pretty good, That'll give me some time to look for screw options to mount the sub.......lol........i'm actually talking about various styles of hardware...........sad..

I took a few pics of the subs in different positions (facing away or towards each other)m, but if I can do any config, does it really matter one way or another if they're facing each other like in one of these pics? I don't know if I can have them facing anywhere other than the trunk because of the shallowness right behind that back seat, so maybe none of them work other than facing the trunik, but you get to see the pics anyway.....lol......

dscn1320xl3.jpg

dscn1322rh3.jpg

dscn1323ik2.jpg

dscn1324be3.jpg
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    how do you plan on covering the remaining sides?

Facing the subs that close together will cause cancellation issues.
    -Cody
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Carpeting as well....just was waiting until i got the terminal hole cut out.........

I figured something wouldn't fly with them facing each other like that...........if sideways is an option at all then to the outside would work as well.......

I'm just worried about carrying **** in the trunk and that stuff playing too close to teh subs..............
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Get metal grilles. Kicker still has aluminum ones but I don't think they are round anymore. You should be able to find something online that will fit though. If you are worried about excusion issues and contacting, use that fancy new gizmo you got to make yourself soem MDF spacer rings to go around the subs and mount the grilles to. Paint them with spray paint to match. Use 3 coats of a generic gray or white primer before painting otherwise that MDF will suck teh paint right up. You might even want to consider a sealer before you paint.

I have metal grilles on my subs and I have yet to have an issue with anything behind a seat or in a trunk causing problems.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2007
    Brett,

Great work!

I used to screw boxes but I've long since learned that a good glue joint is stronger than the material you glue together and screws really are not needed at all.

One thing I do if I feel I don't have enough surface area for a glue joint I will make firing strips to run along all the inside joints of the box and glue those in as well. And I also run rounded over cross braces side to side, top to bottom on the inside. I haven't make a "car" sub box in a while, my last box was for my HT sub, a heavy little sucker.

Like I said, you did a fantastic job!
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2007
    Oh and here's a few carpeting tips..

Get a couple cans of 3M Super77 adhesive spray, usually found in automotive stores. It's not cheap but will allow you to adhere the carpet to the box so you won't get any sags in the fabric. Also if you want to get really crazy you can stitch corners and seams (I've done it in the past, it's a PITA!)
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Ok.....did some searching........grills can be outright ugly.......got it down to these 3 options.......

Black Bar Grill

Chrome Bar Grill

Standard grate grill

I like the bar design most personally, but I don't know how they're going to work with the SR subs because of the large roll, so mounting that bracket outside the SR124 would be fairly close to the speaker, and building up wouldn't work because the raised support I install would be right on the edge...(that make sense?)

My only option for that type of grill would be to buy the 15" version of that bar so I can get adequate spacing so the bar isn't right on the edge of the riser.......

Main question I have is which do y'all recommend........black or chrome bar grill..........
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-443

eBay isnt always cheaper...you will not have to get the 15" version. I have the same grills on my subs and they never hit, and my subs have more excursion than the SRs
    -Cody
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Brett, don't do terminal cups, just go straight through the wood with binders.

At least do a plate instead - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-602

Binders to go through the box - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1246
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    You know guys, a terminal cup isn't any different than a plate or binders and it's a hell of alot better than drilling a hole and caulking a wire into a board of wood or MDF.

The terminal cups also allow your terminals to be recessed to keep them from getting ripped off in a trunk or behind a seat. They also typically have gasketing material to seal the hole. A box, even if it is ported, doesn't work right if it leaks.

I can see the plates and binding posts right in the wood for a home install because they are less likely to get busted up by groceries, tennis gear, hockey pads, roller blades or a spare tire or something. In a car though, a terminal cup has many, many advantages and the sound quality and build quality will not suffer enough in a sub installation to worry about it. Stop freakin' the guy out and telling him he's making a mistake. There is nothing wrong with terminal cups, especially for a first time box builder.

Brett, personally, I don't like the bar grilles. I don't feel that they protect the sub well enough. The waffle grilles are better at protecting but decidedly less attractive and will likely need a spacer.. I don't have any experience with the chrome grilles but in all honesty, this is a personal choice thing. You go with what you want but Cody has a good point. His subs will jump out much farther than yours do and is his are not contacting, yours won't.

• Jstas
    edited February 2007
    Red230SX wrote:
    Oh and here's a few carpeting tips..

Get a couple cans of 3M Super77 adhesive spray, usually found in automotive stores. It's not cheap but will allow you to adhere the carpet to the box so you won't get any sags in the fabric. Also if you want to get really crazy you can stitch corners and seams (I've done it in the past, it's a PITA!)

Dude, we went over all of this stuff already in the Car Subwoofer Talk forum.

But how have you stitched carpeting? Most of the carpeting I have seen for audio applications wouldn't hold a seam. It's too flimsy and the weave is too random.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    That's a crazy amount of screws! I use less screws + liquid nails.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I'm installing THIS CUP and will just hook up one of the posts or something..... I don't remember who sent them to me from the forum off the top of my head, but thanks again for sending them.

The problem I have with the grill grate is it covers up the sub too much. Granted I'm wanting protection, but most of the things I'm carryin in my trunk aren't really small bar like types of things. The larger grate will keep a bag/box/etc from getting up near the sub while also allowing the sub to be seen a bit. The SR subs are kinda sexy........no need to be covering them up completely......lol.....