Where is Joey V?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    You're my hero.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    You're my hero.

As are you mine.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    :) I'm glad to see we are all better now.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Glad to see you're still around Joey! How you managed to do med school & put together such awesome systems just boggles my mind!

Keep up the good work Joey. Oh yeah pics of the new rack please.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    Oh yeah pics of the new rack please.
    Ditto! And I'd like to know how much it costs!

:D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Ditto! And I'd like to know how much it costs!

:D:D

LOL!

Dont get me started on publishing prices, my friend. Some here dont appreciate that so I've been tryng to make a conscious effort to keep that to myself.

I'll tell you this, it was a gift from my gf.... so regardless of price, it's an awesome rack! I'll tell you this too... it's not as much those Grand Prix Monaco racks that Mike Lavigne has... he's nuts! :eek:
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2007
    Good to see you, Joey. I have missed your indepth reviews. It is really beneficial to hear the opinion of someone with a "reference" system like yours to compare against. Though some are poking fun at you for giving prices, I find it very useful to know what kind of investment we are talking about to upgrade in a particular direction.

Good luck with your studies and keep us posted on your experiences in audio.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited February 2007
    Joey_V wrote:
    Mike,

I was gone because:
    1. Too busy with school (surg).
    2. Really had nothing to say in Club Polk, kinda like a little break. But I did stop by once a week or so and see what was going on.

Still looking forward to the meet and all. Thanks for thinking of me though... ;) .

Joey
    If med school / internship, etc. is anything as stressful as they depict it on "Grey's Anatomy", then I don't see how you would have time to do anything at all other than catch a nap when you can. Is it really that gruelling (sp?)?

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    Glad to see you're still around Joey! How you managed to do med school & put together such awesome systems just boggles my mind!

Keep up the good work Joey. Oh yeah pics of the new rack please.

Cathy,

I'm still around, a little busier than I'd like so I cant really keep up with the thread on CPolk anymore. By the time I get to one, it's like 25 posts deep so I try not to get involved as it takes quite some time to read and keep up with the threads.

Anyway, thanks much regarding the comments! I basically try to live it down a little and I use the majority of the scholarship checks I get on audio. Probably not the best thing to do, but it's better than buying drugs or souping up my car as most guys my age (and race) do.

I will post a pic of the rack... but I'm going to wait and hold off until I get the Cary in. I havent decided whether to put the Cary 306SACD on top rack or the second to the top rack. The Cary 98 preamp is king of the rack right now, but the Cary 306SACD is such a beauty, it might kick the preamp off it's high horse, so to speak.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    Good to see you, Joey. I have missed your indepth reviews. It is really beneficial to hear the opinion of someone with a "reference" system like yours to compare against. Though some are poking fun at you for giving prices, I find it very useful to know what kind of investment we are talking about to upgrade in a particular direction.

Good luck with your studies and keep us posted on your experiences in audio.

I like to post prices because most use it as a guide, whether consciously or not. It's not a means by which I brag, but I can see how some may see it that way. So now, I try to keep it on the downlow and post it only when writing a review and if I feel that it's pertinent.

I dont see my system as reference, not at this state. I heard a CDP in my system about 2weeks ago when a lawyer friend of mine (audiophile) came by to listen. The CDP was definitely better than the Squeezebox3's stock DACs... which isnt surprising. Now I find myself on a mission to improve the DACs for real this time.

Thanks HD! And good luck spending that $5K that you mentioned in your other thread.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    If med school / internship, etc. is anything as stressful as they depict it on "Grey's Anatomy", then I don't see how you would have time to do anything at all other than catch a nap when you can. Is it really that gruelling (sp?)?

Robert

Robert,

It's gruelling and sometimes I feel like shooting myself in the face. But most of the time, I get up in the morning (whether it be at 4:30am nowadays because of surgery rotations) and I feel lucky to be here, alive, and doing something that is this challenging; physically and mentally.

It's a tough road, but I'm 1 year away from MD and I hope to go into ER as I like acute care and procedures.

Thanks for asking, friend!

Joey
  • Holydoc
    edited February 2007
    Joey_V wrote:
    Thanks HD! And good luck spending that $5K that you mentioned in your other thread.

I don't forsee any problem spending that money at all! :D

Just need to make sure I do not mismanage it. Even looked at the Strata Mini but it appeared to be built just for 2-channel. Now if I could only convince you to switch to HT systems, I could get you to review a few.

;)
  • TN_Polk_Lover
    TN_Polk_Lover Posts: 243
    edited February 2007
    You guys need a snickers to bring you together....

And when you get to that point, you can rip open your shirts and do something manly.
    I thought that commercial was very, very funny. But, I understand some of the **** groups complained about it, so it was pulled and not shown but that one time during the super-bowl.

I don't think it was at all "anti-****". I think it was more about that 2 heterosexual men are too afraid to share a "close" moment that can be funny and laughed at, but not necessarily turn into any sexual.

Robert
    Robert
    You are officially in the high-end of the deep-end of the top-end.

Bonus Room Over Garage:
    Toshiba 27" CRT TV
    Digital Source: Sony DVP-NS3100ES
    DVR: Panasonic DMR-ES15
    Denon 3806 AV Receiver
    - L/R Preamp out to Parasound HCA-1200 Amp
    Polk RTi70's, CSi40 Center, RTi38 Side Surrounds, RTi38 Back Surrounds

Living Room: (2ch only)
    TV: Sony KV20-FV12
    DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS715P
    Yamaha R9 Receiver Polk RTi38's
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Joey, Best thing about ER work is defined hours, and every so often you do get to save a life. Worst thing ... let me see, dealing with drug seekers at 3AM?, walking out of a trauma bay and having to tell a mom and dad that their kid is dead?, doing rape exams on traumatized women?, getting spit on or otherwise assaulted by drunks?, having no real ongoing relationship with the patients who therefore often don't trust you?, getting cursed at by some low-life who called an ambulance to bring him into the ER in the wee hours for a headache when you tell him that the ambulance is not going to take him back home?, figuring out what to do with some elderly demented man/women when you find that the family member who dropped the patient off has just abscounded from the waiting room?, getting simultaneously bitched at by twenty patients who have been waiting 3 hours to be seen when you have been working 12 hours straight without a break in the backed up ER?, the fact that no physician anywhere welcomes a call from the ER doc? There are two groups of people who see and deal with the lowest common denominator in this country: cops and ER doctors.

I'm really not sure. Take your pick. My advice is whatever you think you want to go into, find ten people who have been doing it for at least 7 years, ask them what their lifestyle is like, how they like it, and would they do it again. Then decide if that's what you want to do with your life for the next 25 years or so.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    pblanc wrote:
    Joey, Best thing about ER work is defined hours, and every so often you do get to save a life. Worst thing ... let me see, dealing with drug seekers at 3AM?, walking out of a trauma bay and having to tell a mom and dad that their kid is dead?, doing rape exams on traumatized women?, getting spit on or otherwise assaulted by drunks?, having no real ongoing relationship with the patients who therefore often don't trust you?, getting cursed at by some low-life who called an ambulance to bring him into the ER in the wee hours for a headache when you tell him that the ambulance is not going to take him back home?, figuring out what to do with some elderly demented man/women when you find that the family member who dropped the patient off has just abscounded from the waiting room?, getting simultaneously bitched at by twenty patients who have been waiting 3 hours to be seen when you have been working 12 hours straight without a break in the backed up ER?, the fact that no physician anywhere welcomes a call from the ER doc? There are two groups of people who see and deal with the lowest common denominator in this country: cops and ER doctors.

I'm really not sure. Take your pick. My advice is whatever you think you want to go into, find ten people who have been doing it for at least 7 years, ask them what their lifestyle is like, how they like it, and would they do it again. Then decide if that's what you want to do with your life for the next 25 years or so.

I thought about all that you have said before. But for me, ER still strikes my fancy. It's a job for me, not necessarily a life calling like surgery or oncology. I like being able to go home and not worry about ever being on call. I like not having a patient census to worry about. I like being in and out, quickly and easliy. I like being able to work the 12h shift and be done with it.

I've shadowed at the ER here at the university several times, even at the Level 1 trauma center Cook County ER. I've done and published a research paper that is now going onto several Emergency Medicine journals regarding EKG. I'm president of the Emergency Medicine Interest Group at school... I guess I'm pretty heavy into ER.

We'll see, I'm doing an ER rotation soon and we shall see what I end up deciding doing for the rest of my life.

Ideally, I would want to be a cardiologist working 9-3. But that road is even tougher.
  • pblanc
    edited February 2007
    ER work definitely does allow you to have a life outside medicine. Anesthesiology does as well, but you do have to deal with call.

I was a medical student rotating through the CCH ER 29 years ago. Wonder if its changed? There used to be a great call room in that place. It had about 10 three level bunkbeds in one overheated room, and one telephone. Someone's beeper went off about every 17 seconds all night long. The medical students, like me were consigned to the top bunks. There were 2 reasons for that: 1. You had to climb up and down this evil little, rickety ladder in the dark every time you got paged, and 2. The lead-based point was peeling and flaking from the ceiling so when you got up you were covered with these little paint chips. It was definitely best to sleep with your mouth closed.

I bet the whole place went to hell when they closed "The Greeks".
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Joey_V wrote:

It's a tough road, but I'm 1 year away from MD and I hope to go into ER as I like acute care and procedures.
    Kudos to you ,it certainly takes a special type of person to want to go into this VERYchallenging, but Im sure rewarding field.:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    Kudos to you ,it certainly takes a special type of person to want to go into this VERYchallenging, but Im sure rewarding field.:)
    Thanks man! I've been in school for 7 years now, and I'm itching to get out. :p
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    pblanc wrote:
    ER work definitely does allow you to have a life outside medicine. Anesthesiology does as well, but you do have to deal with call.

I was a medical student rotating through the CCH ER 29 years ago. Wonder if its changed? There used to be a great call room in that place. It had about 10 three level bunkbeds in one overheated room, and one telephone. Someone's beeper went off about every 17 seconds all night long. The medical students, like me were consigned to the top bunks. There were 2 reasons for that: 1. You had to climb up and down this evil little, rickety ladder in the dark every time you got paged, and 2. The lead-based point was peeling and flaking from the ceiling so when you got up you were covered with these little paint chips. It was definitely best to sleep with your mouth closed.

I bet the whole place went to hell when they closed "The Greeks".

Actually, they moved to a new hospital... brand new a few years ago. Very nice facility, better than Rush Medical Center in terms of the hospital itself. However, the staff still leaves a lot to be desired.
  • pblanc
    edited February 2007
    Do any speak English? Used to be if you couldn't speak Phillipino you were S.O.L.. You mean no more Fantasy (Fantus) Clinic?
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    Good to see you, Joey. I have missed your indepth reviews.... keep us posted on your experiences in audio.
    I wrote up something where I compared the Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario and the Quad 2805 to what I have, I'll post it sometime soon. I also have some notes on a particular Naim CDP in which I compared it to the seemingly ubiquitous and popular Rega Apollo CDP. I'm sure some Polkies would like to read this comparison.

Several things I'm looking forward to doing, a 1-1 A/B of the Sonus Faber Cremona and the Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario. Also, I'm looking forward to hearing the PS Audio Digital III DAC and hopefully compare to one of the Cary 306 CDP offerings, both as a DAC.

I'll post it sometime soon.
    pblanc wrote:
    Do any speak English? Used to be if you couldn't speak Phillipino you were S.O.L.. You mean no more Fantasy (Fantus) Clinic?
    I'm filipino, so it helps. :) Oh and Fantus is still there... all broke down, but still there.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    I can't see, said the blind people. Remove the wool from over your eyes, said the sighted man.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Holydoc
    edited February 2007
    Joey,

You seemed to have ignored my suggestion that you move over to Home Theatre and leave the silly two-channel stuff behind. ;)

I need a good reviewer (i.e., someone with the monetary means so that I do not have to live in a box) to help me with selecting systems with great dialogue and impact. :)
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    Joey,

You seemed to have ignored my suggestion that you move over to Home Theatre and leave the silly two-channel stuff behind. ;)

I need a good reviewer (i.e., someone with the monetary means so that I do not have to live in a box) to help me with selecting systems with great dialogue and impact. :)

Doc,

I would love to help you out with my opinions regarding HT, but I'm not well versed enough in that field. I'm still trying to get 2ch right and while I believe I'm going in the right direction, I'm still not there in my mind.

I'll move to HT soon enough though as that's what I'm thinking of building after:
    1. I finish the 2ch portion of my system.
    2. After I get a car, post-graduation.

I have my eyes on several systems at the moment, maybe going with the ML Stage center and some Fresco surrounds or removing the Summits from doing any HT duties and concentrating mainly on the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers or something else that strikes my fancy, maybe something from AV123, my good friend Mark has quite a few things for me up his sleeve. Also, for the sub (as you said you want impact), I'm looking forward to reading reviews and hopefully hearing the JL Audio Gotham subwoofer... supposed to be a Velodyne 1812 annihilator.

I'm not without budget, Doc. As I told some on this forum per cell phone convos, I'm pretty much on my last leg with regards to audio gear. The rest of my scholarship checks go to the bank as I am interviewing in 8 months or so (for residency) and I may need some of the money for plane fares... not to mention a vacation here and there towards the end of my M4 year. I think the CDP/DAC is it, then maybe a TT and a phono stage sometime after I match next year. GF is getting me the Cary SLP-05 flagship preamp for Christmas though, or atleast I think she is.

Catch ya later, Doc!

Joey :)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    Joey_V wrote:
    GF is getting me the Cary SLP-05 flagship preamp for Christmas though, or atleast I think she is.

She's a keeper, for sure.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    I suppose it wouldn't be a "Joey thread" without someone saying...

PICS MAN!!! WE NEED PICS!!!!:D

Welcome back Joey. Hope all is going well with your studies.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Say, what kind of car are you going to be getting?

How about a nice, shiny little Kia?

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Joey...if your Gf gets you the SLP-05 I would like to know......

Does she have a sister????:D :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Say, what kind of car are you going to be getting?

How about a nice, shiny little Kia?

:D

Infiniti G35 coupe in pearl white or silver with a spoiler. That's my graduation present.

After that, I kinda want to stick with an M3 and maybe an Aston one day if I'm successful.

Joey ;)
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2007
    I suppose it wouldn't be a "Joey thread" without someone saying...

PICS MAN!!! WE NEED PICS!!!!:D

Welcome back Joey. Hope all is going well with your studies.

ZB!

Just trying to keep up with you and your system, is all man! I'll post pics once I get the Cary in..... :D.

Me thinks I'm going to stop by the Pro Musica tonight and check out the Sonus Faber Cremona vs Amati Anniversarios....

I'll try to take pics of those!

Joey