Any idea how to get smoke odor out of interconnects?

2»

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    Hang some air fresheners in front of your ports.:rolleyes: New car smell should work well.:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Strange as it may seem, those nylon sheaths on interconnects really seem to hold odors.

I picked up a few pair of nylon sheathed interconnects recently and boy do they stink! The seller must have been a heavy indoor smoker. You can smell them across the room. I tried a soapy sponge and dry towel. I tried Febreeze sprayed on a paper towel (didn't want to soak them directly). I tried submersing everything but the terminated ends in warm soapy water and drying with a towel. They still stink! I'm afraid to get too agressive and ruin the cables (they are pretty nice otherwise).

Any ideas?

Sorry Bill I just find this amusing it sounds like Jerry Seinfelds BO car. . .the O is supposed to go with the B!!!
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    An ionizer will definitely do the trick. I thought it was a bunch of hype when I first heard about it but when I had a container of kerosene leak inside my new Jeep Grand Cherokee;s interior, I found out just how effective it is!
    The outfit that cleaned the mess and smell up for me uses ionizers on a regular basis to destroy tough odors such as smoke and fuel.
    They even have a room that is sealed off so that they can ionize the entire contents of the room! This is the technique they use for salvaging items from houses or cars that have been in a fire and that is the best method of destroying the source of the odor.
    A small car ionizer from Sharper Image inside a small airtight container will solve your odor problems forever.
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited February 2007
    For those that missed it above, I solved this problem a couple days ago with baking soda overnight.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...