Any idea how to get smoke odor out of interconnects?

billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,705
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Strange as it may seem, those nylon sheaths on interconnects really seem to hold odors.

I picked up a few pair of nylon sheathed interconnects recently and boy do they stink! The seller must have been a heavy indoor smoker. You can smell them across the room. I tried a soapy sponge and dry towel. I tried Febreeze sprayed on a paper towel (didn't want to soak them directly). I tried submersing everything but the terminated ends in warm soapy water and drying with a towel. They still stink! I'm afraid to get too agressive and ruin the cables (they are pretty nice otherwise).

Any ideas?
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    I've had success with vinegar and/or 409. That 409 stuff will clean damn near anything and the vinegar is acidic enough to get most stains and odors out but usually won't harm the sheathing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    I was just told by a co-worker that he has let cables sit in a tub of just straight baking soda for a while and it leeches out the odors. Kinda like how it helps keep the funk out of your fridge too. He said cleans them off real good first with an all-purpose cleaner like Fantastic or 409.

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    That's sucks I dealt with that issue a few times, sometimes I needed to throw it out. Sorry :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    Wow...that's wild. What about leaving them outside for a few days? Weather permitting of course. I know I've heard of it in electronics but I guess wires could hold it too. Must have been a major "House of Smoke". lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    I know it will probably sound crazy, but I have one of these , and it gets rid of odors really well. Just place the stinky item a few inches in front of it, blast it for a few hours, and it removes all odors.

I know this doesn't really help, since you probably don't have one of these, but just thought I'd mention it. They are really good to have to use in bad-odor rooms (where my dogs stay during the day).
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    Another thought I just had. The odors are caused by compounds from the tar and nicotene in the smoke. There are cleaners that are enzyme based out there that I have seen used on things like computer monitors, keyboards and mice that not only remove stains but odors too. I don't know where to find them but I'm sure a quick Google search might turn something up.

• billbillw
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    That's sucks I dealt with that issue a few times, sometimes I needed to throw it out. Sorry :(

Eeerr, not these. Too nice. I'll strip off the nylon jackets before I throw them out.

I'm just afraid to really soak the cables. A) don't want the dielectric foam to soak up anything B) don't want liquids getting into the cables and oxidizing them.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    Put them in a paper bag with some charcoal. That should absorb the odors
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    Maybe I'll try my ZeroStat gun on them. Shoots out charged particles like the thing Phantom recommended. I'll try a few things tonight, maybe also put them in a closed rubbermaid container with a small dish of vinegar. Just let the vapors do the work.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:

I'm a gas grill guy. I'd have to buy a whole bag just for one or two brickets!;)
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    No, to get rid of odors, you'd need activated charcoal. It's not the same stuff as BBQ charcoal.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Charlie's Soap may work, but I'm not sure. We use it around the house whenever we come across a stubborn stain that we're sure won't come out. As we're throwing the item away, we remember Charlie's Soap, try it, and the stain's gone.

Never tried it for odors before, but I guess it stands to reason that if it can remove stains so well it just might remove odors, too.

Hope you figure something out tonight.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Take up smoking.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    I'm a gas grill guy. I'd have to buy a whole bag just for one or two brickets!;)

haha :)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    May sound weird but I have heard leaving smelly objects in a container full of coffee beans will get the smell out.

Or you can just do what F1nut suggested, take up smoking.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2007
    May sound weird but I have heard leaving smelly objects in a container full of coffee beans will get the smell out.

Or you can just do what F1nut suggested, take up smoking.

Great, coffee breath, and cigarette breath combined! :p

Actually, baking soda seemed to knock most of the smell out. They still smell like smoke up close, but not accross the room. I guess the most offensive part of it is gone.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Great, coffee breath, and cigarette breath combined! :p

Actually, baking soda seemed to knock most of the smell out. They still smell like smoke up close, but not accross the room. I guess the most offensive part of it is gone.

Hey now, you were asking for suggestions!
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    ...I tried a soapy sponge and dry towel...

lots of soaps, like liquid dish detergents, leave their own smell and residue on many plastics. to me, they seem to intensify many smells on/in plastics while adding their own. usually a few soft scrubs of vinegar and hot water can take that out. i wouldn't think that chemical resistant jackets would be bothered by doing this a few times throughout their life if they're not already in bad shape. if the enzymes that jstas mentioned are like 'nature's miracle', a good pet store should have a wide selection. i'm a windex kind of guy, but i would definately do homework before using it using it on expensive cables.

in any case, this might be one of those cases where it'll be quicker and you'll feel better just breaking down and asking for directions from the manufacturer.

)
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited February 2007
    wow, good suggestions everyone, i am dealing with a smelly speaker wire, courtesy of my roommates cat! thankfully it is not something that i can smell across the room but i will try some of the suggestions and see if i can get rid of the last bit of smell...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited February 2007
    This is by far the oddest thread ever....

How to clean your cables for maximum desmelling....

Almost as funny as the guy that smelled his speakers....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • FicmanS
    FicmanS Posts: 134
    edited February 2007
    50/50 Mix of Simple Green and water may do the trick...
    Rockin' In My House :D

Pioneer 50 inch Plasma TV
    Denon AVR-3806
    Denon DVD-1930ci
    Polk Montor 70's
    Polk PSW-12
    Polk CS2
    Polk Monitor 40's

Sirius Satellite Radio, Monster 3500MKII
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Yeah but,do cleaner cables SOUND better ?

Lets ask JohnK....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    try:
    [url]HTTP://www.prestollc.com/index.shtml[/url]

This is a wonderful cleaner!
    all natural and very safe to use!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited February 2007
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    mldennison wrote:
    wow, good suggestions everyone, i am dealing with a smelly speaker wire, courtesy of my roommates cat! thankfully it is not something that i can smell across the room but i will try some of the suggestions and see if i can get rid of the last bit of smell...

For that, go to a pet store. They usually have enzyme based cleaners specifically designed to remove odors and stains for such things.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Stick em' up your cornhole.

The $h!t smell will take your mind off the smoke smell.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    Meguiar's vinyl and plastic detailer for cars may clean the plastic, just keep it off the ends.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007

I know a guy that repairs and sells used refrigerators. He said putting a dish of fresh ground coffee is the only effective means of removing odors from refrigerators. Everything else suggested here I asked him about (baking soda, charcoal, etc.) he stated flatly doesn't work. He claims the coffeee scent "displaces" the foul odor trapped in the insulation. Your cables have probably absorbed the smoking odors deep into the coverings.. Put them in a sealed plastic bag with some fresh coffee beans for about a week.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:

Don't use charcoal briquetts like Kingsford!!! Use real charcoal. Kingsford has chemicals and other nasties in it.