Whew! Safe For Another 3 Years...

2»

Comments

• masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited February 2007
    Got called for my first time last year, put on jury, it was a shoplifting case from Saks Fifth Ave, Prada purse. Actually a womens child grabbed it, they left the store, women realized it outside the store, went to return it(all this on camera) and yet they press charges....innocent
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    As far as I know, it is the LAW! You have to serve & no employer can deny you pay, cut your check, or in any other way penalize you for doing your civic duty!

If they did & were reported, I believe the penalties would be a lot more severe than what they lost with your absence!

As for compensation, in MA, you serve the first 3 days free, thereafter, you get a stipend of $50 or $75 dollars a day. I slept through the tape they played.

I don't know Cath I think it depends on the state but I'm pretty sure, and I won't argue this point to death because I am not positive, that the employer doesn't have to pay twice. That means if you were paid $50 for a day of jury duty, they have to pay you your days pay minus $50. I seem to remember this issue while working in New Jersey as a Help Desk Manager. One of the field engineers that worked under me had to report to jury duty for a week and when he received his jury duty pay had to turn in the stub to our payroll dept. and they held back that amount.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I guess it varies from state to state Joe. I got $75.00 from the state for my first Jury duty service & I got my full pay as well.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    I guess it varies from state to state Joe. I got $75.00 from the state for my first Jury duty service & I got my full pay as well.

You know I was only joking earlier when I said, "you get a whopping $9 a day" but is our duty/service only worth $75??? I would think it would be a lot more than that especially when whoever loses a case has to pay some pretty exhorbitant "court costs."
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    As far as I know, it is the LAW! You have to serve & no employer can deny you pay, cut your check, or in any other way penalize you for doing your civic duty!

If they did & were reported, I believe the penalties would be a lot more severe than what they lost with your absence!

As for compensation, in MA, you serve the first 3 days free, thereafter, you get a stipend of $50 or $75 dollars a day. I slept through the tape they played.

In NJ your employer DOES not have to pay you for jury duty. In fact, to be excused from your civic duty (please!) your employer can send a letter stating that the company does not pay for jury duty & that it would be a financial hardship for you. This is a legitimate reason & is generally honored. If the courts paid your daily wages then no one would have an excuse, other than medical & a few other exceptions. And, if the one that initiated the law suit loses, they should have to pick up all costs associated with your defense. Maybe that would cut down on the amount of bogus law suits.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    In NJ your employer DOES not have to pay you for jury duty. In fact, to be excused from your civic duty (please!) your employer can send a letter stating that the company does not pay for jury duty & that it would be a financial hardship for you. This is a legitimate reason & is generally honored. If the courts paid your daily wages then no one would have an excuse, other than medical & a few other exceptions. And, if the one that initiated the law suit loses, they should have to pick up all costs associated with your defense. Maybe that would cut down on the amount of bogus law suits.

Where the H@!L have you been??? BTW I gave my cousin one of your envelopes. . . his mom just passed away so I don't know if he has even looked at it yet. I was supposed to do some volunteer work for him this past Thursday but I am recovering from a wicked gastro-intestinal virus which took out the whole family.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I just got my completed Jury Duty service letter. Here is what it states on the back of it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2007
    Its amusing to watch the smokers freek out in the jury room as the jury must stay together and smoking is not permitted in the building.