Whew! Safe For Another 3 Years...

cfrizz
cfrizz Posts: 13,415
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
From Jury Duty!:)

It was close though, I got sent to 2 courtrooms. The first case was a civil case of medical negligence. For the 1st time since I've been doing this I got excused from the case since I am very familiar with Congestive Heart Failure problems & couldn't promise the judge that I could be impartial based on what I've had to deal with the last few years.

The judge said she expected the case to last 3 weeks!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The 2nd case was a murder case! Fortunately, they only needed 2 jurors so the rest of us were FREE!!!

This is my 5th or 6th time being called for jury duty. I have only served on 1 and a half jurys!:D The 2nd time was a rape case, & as soon as the jury was seated, the guy plead guilty!:D

So how many of you have been called to do your Civic Duty & how many times?:)
Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
Post edited by cfrizz on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    Sat on my first at the ripe old age of 18. possession of a firearm by a felon. Pretty cut and dried case but still wonder to this day if that dude remembered my face and if he sees me again he might whack me! The last one i got picked by the defense attorney but the prosecutor dropped me because of my job, or at least thats what he said. Fun part here in Illinois is we can get called again in 1 year not three.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Five jury duties. 3 trials. The first three times the system was set up so that you had to call every day Mon.-Thurs. to see if you panel was called. You had to get called 21 times or serve on a jury to be let go. The frist time it was over 6 months and I only had 17 calls. They let me go because of the time. Then next time I was seated on a jury after 4 months on the 19th day. Was on a trail after 4 on the next go round. They've streamilined the sytem now to last only 3 weeks max. The last time was 2 years ago and was almost seated on a Grand Jury. That would have been twice a week for 3 months. I told the judge I couldn't/wouldn't do it because we were going through a merger and could not spare the time. After my civic responsiblity lecture I was let off.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    Last year I got letters twice potentially getting called for Jury Duty. The day before i called into the telephone # provided to see if I was picked to go. Both times I dodged the bullet and never had to go in. I haven't gotten any letters since.

Watch, I'll get a letter tomorrow since I opened my big mouth!:D

John
    No excuses!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    I've always felt it was our civic duty to participate in the legal system. Its our duty as americans. Its all part of what makes America great!

God Bless America!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    I've been able to avoid this civic duty. I'm doing most hoods, corporate thieves or insurance companies a favor because I view them all as guilty and must be proven innocent. You don't want me as a juror.

I do not return the juror information and survey request. I figure if it don't come to me via registered mail, I didn't receive it.
    Carl

• cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    HOLY $HIT!!!:eek: The judge said that there were some states that still did this! OMG That's AWFULL! We have a 1 day 1 trial system. If you don't get seated on a jury by the end of the day, YOU HAVE DONE YOUR DUTY for the next 3 yrs!
    shack wrote:
    Five jury duties. 3 trials. The first three times the system was set up so that you had to call every day Mon.-Thurs. to see if you panel was called. You had to get called 21 times or serve on a jury to be let go. The frist time it was over 6 months and I only had 17 calls. They let me go because of the time. Then next time I was seated on a jury after 4 months on the 19th day. Was on a trail after 4 on the next go round. They've streamilined the sytem now to last only 3 weeks max. The last time was 2 years ago and was almost seated on a Grand Jury. That would have been twice a week for 3 months. I told the judge I couldn't/wouldn't do it because we were going through a merger and could not spare the time. After my civic responsiblity lecture I was let off.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    26 years old and never been called. Knock on wood....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    Been called twice served once. A circumstantial drug case that lasted 3 days (including jury selection) and we ended up being a hung jury. It's a neat process even though it can be an intrusion to our routine. I don't mind as long as I only have to serve evey few (3-4) years or so.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Jury Duty one time and I was picked to be on the jury IN THE LAST SEAT. However, the judge called me to the bench, ask if I was in college which I answered promptly yes. He asked if the trial would interfere with school if it was more than a day(he said this one was probably going to be 2 weeks), so I told him I would have to withdraw from my classes because I will miss too much work in 2 weeks. He stamped my paper as "cleared" and said have a nice day! Felt bad for the sorry sucker after me who thought they were free and clear.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    I've been lucky with Jury duty. This is such a small town, I've been "on-call" like 6 times in the last 15 years. On-call means you're on the hit list for 6 months.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    Never....I've always wanted to if the opportunity was there.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Because of my friends in law in enforcement I'm never picked. :( I actually what to be a case once.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited February 2007
    i have been selected twice, but did not have to do a trial. first time i had to call in every morning for a week and had to go in on a friday, but just sat there for the day. i think there was only one trial that they actually picked people for that day. second time i was in college away from home and so was excused.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    No matter what Mark, they or you won't be in the clear once you get out of school! They promptly send you back down to the jury room to wait to get called to another courtroom!

When they say 1 day, they MEAN 1 full day which ends at 4 o'clock!

For me it was just like being at work, report at 8am & get out at 4pm.:eek: :rolleyes:
    Jury Duty one and I was picked to be on the jury IN THE LAST SEAT. However, the judge called me to the bench, ask if I was in college which I answered promptly yes. He asked if the trial would interfere with school if it was more than a day(he said this one was probably going to be 2 weeks), so I told him I would have to withdraw from my classes because I will miss too much work in 2 weeks. He stamped my paper as "cleared" and said have a nice day! Felt bad for the sorry sucker after me who thought they were free and clear.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    No matter what Mark, they or you won't be in the clear once you get out of school! They promptly send you back down to the jury room to wait to get called to another courtroom!

When they say 1 day, they MEAN 1 full day which ends at 4 o'clock!

For me it was just like being at work, report at 8am & get out at 4pm.:eek: :rolleyes:

Cathy, it was the end of the day, this was the last trial of the day after lunch time. The judge said have a nice day so I went back down to the jury pool room and signed out at the desk. I am free and clear for another 3 years atleast. :D

Maybe I'll just stay in school forever........
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Glad you got out of it. I never have to go as long as I have my current job. YAY
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited February 2007
    The first and only one was a murder trial that didn't take us long to declare the guilty verdict, the guy left his shoes at the scene of the crime among all the other damning evidence.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2007
    Never been called.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2007
    I've been in two times. They divide you in groups, then decide when
    each group needs to show up. That's on a Monday, and they call in enough for all week.
    I've been in the Monday (1st)group both times. First time a guy was being
    tried for three DWI's at the same time(he got them over 5 months).
    He already had one in the past. We did all but string him up on the courthouse
    steps. Max sentance.
    Second time, we got a freebee. The guy pleaded a deal minutes before trial.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    From Jury Duty!:)

It was close though, I got sent to 2 courtrooms. The first case was a civil case of medical negligence. For the 1st time since I've been doing this I got excused from the case since I am very familiar with Congestive Heart Failure problems & couldn't promise the judge that I could be impartial based on what I've had to deal with the last few years.

The judge said she expected the case to last 3 weeks!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The 2nd case was a murder case! Fortunately, they only needed 2 jurors so the rest of us were FREE!!!

This is my 5th or 6th time being called for jury duty. I have only served on 1 and a half jurys!:D The 2nd time was a rape case, & as soon as the jury was seated, the guy plead guilty!:D

So how many of you have been called to do your Civic Duty & how many times?:)

Cath, in 33 years of being an eligible voter, I have never been called for jury duty. I've had friends such as you that have been called almost a dozen times. . .maybe they like your face or maybe they know you have a level head!!! I don't have a level head and I think they know it!! LOL The funny thing is I always wanted to participate on a jury.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Being that I do public service as a fireman I am exempt from jury duty.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    What could possibly be waiting in my mailbox when I got home this afternoon? I open the mailbox to find a 'Summons for Standby Jury Service.' I've got to call a phone number the day before my 'service' date. This will be great. If I have to serve on a jury, it is going to seriously f^%k with my work, as I'm on a very time-sensitive project. Since this is a Cook County summons, maybe the fact that I'm working on a high-profile project for the City of Chicago (O'Hare Airport) will get me excused.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    wodom1 wrote:
    What could possibly be waiting in my mailbox when I got home this afternoon? I open the mailbox to find a 'Summons for Standby Jury Service.' I've got to call a phone number the day before my 'service' date. This will be great. If I have to serve on a jury, it is going to seriously f^%k with my work, as I'm on a very time-sensitive project. Since this is a Cook County summons, maybe the fact that I'm working on a high-profile project for the City of Chicago (O'Hare Airport) will get me excused.

You'll get excused but if you don't, look on the bright side, you will get a whopping $9 per day (tax exempt) for your service.:D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    i've never been called for jury duty.. i'd love it. but then i'd probably get bored with it right way too. sitting for hours and days on end. would kill my ****. ;)

plus, you know all us media types are to liberal and biased anyways. :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    i've never been called for jury duty.. i'd love it. but then i'd probably get bored with it right way too. sitting for hours and days on end. would kill my ****. ;)

plus, you know all us media types are to liberal and biased anyways. :p;)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA biased!!!!

My **** would hurt because it's flat!!! My grandmother from Italy, when I would walk past her would say, "hay sensa culla" meaning "without ****".:D
  • wodom1
    edited February 2007
    You'll get excused but if you don't, look on the bright side, you will get a whopping $9 per day (tax exempt) for your service.:D

$9/day! And tax-exempt at that? Screw my day job, I'm becoming a full-time juror! If I were to get chosen for jury duty and it lasted a week or more, I wonder how that would affect my work salary? I'm salaried, so I receive the same pay every week, but I wonder if my employer would still pay me without having to take vacation days if I was gone for an extended time?
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited February 2007
    wodom1 wrote:
    $9/day! And tax-exempt at that? Screw my day job, I'm becoming a full-time juror! If I were to get chosen for jury duty and it lasted a week or more, I wonder how that would affect my work salary? I'm salaried, so I receive the same pay every week, but I wonder if my employer would still pay me without having to take vacation days if I was gone for an extended time?

Cook county resident? With your luck, you'd be called down to 26th & California :eek: It's so much fun trying to commute to that courthouse.

If you're salaried, then as with most companies, you simply sign over those monstrous $9 checks to the company and you still get paid your salary. No, they can't dock you for jury duty by forcing you to use vacation days, at least not in IL.
  • wodom1
    edited February 2007
    Cook county resident? With your luck, you'd be called down to 26th & California :eek: It's so much fun trying to commute to that courthouse.

If you're salaried, then as with most companies, you simply sign over those monstrous $9 checks to the company and you still get paid your salary. No, they can't dock you for jury duty by forcing you to use vacation days, at least not in IL.

Yeah, I live in Chicago. If I have to report, it's not to 26th & California -- I'll have to go to Rolling Meadows. I'd rather go down to 26th than to have to drive to the 'burbs. I have no idea if this could turn out to be a criminal or civil case -- if it was at 26th I would think it would be criminal.

Glad to know I don't have to worry about using vacation days to receive my salary.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    wodom1 wrote:
    Yeah, I live in Chicago. If I have to report, it's not to 26th & California -- I'll have to go to Rolling Meadows. I'd rather go down to 26th than to have to drive to the 'burbs. I have no idea if this could turn out to be a criminal or civil case -- if it was at 26th I would think it would be criminal.

Glad to know I don't have to worry about using vacation days to receive my salary.

Don't hold me to this but I'm pretty sure your employer doesn't have to pay you the full amount of you salary, they get to deduct the jury duty pay i.e. keep that amount.
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2007
    As far as I know, it is the LAW! You have to serve & no employer can deny you pay, cut your check, or in any other way penalize you for doing your civic duty!

If they did & were reported, I believe the penalties would be a lot more severe than what they lost with your absence!

As for compensation, in MA, you serve the first 3 days free, thereafter, you get a stipend of $50 dollars a day. I slept through the tape they played.