DVD Copy

2»

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2007
    You see PT...dont take offence but thats what I ment...its illeagal..it not illeagal..back and forth...I dont think anyone really knows what the law reads...lol

I have seached the web high and low for a definitive answer..I cant find one. Most of it is here say.

I best just leave it alone.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    jakelm wrote:
    You see PT...dont take offence but thats what I ment...its illeagal..it not illeagal..back and forth...I dont think anyone really knows what the law reads...lol

I have seached the web high and low for a definitive answer..I cant find one. Most of it is here say.

I best just leave it alone.

I can lead you to water...

`(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that--
    `(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;

`(3) As used in this subsection--
    `(A) to `circumvent a technological measure' means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner;
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited February 2007
    I don't think it's the backing up a DVD that's the issue, I think it's breaking the copyright protection...
  • jakelm
    edited February 2007
    I read the same thing PT....nothing about backing up a disk..
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Thier should be about 19.8 million people in prison for owning a VCR. Having that "R" recorder was sooo tempting. I never. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.................:D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    jakelm wrote:
    I read the same thing PT....nothing about backing up a disk..

In order to copy a DVD, you have to circumvent the copyright protection, thus violating the DMCA.
  • jakelm
    edited February 2007
    I see
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    I didn't see nothing. I was never on this tread.............. I know nothing.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    But, if you are just making personal copies, you have nothing to worry about. I doubt such a case would come up even less stand in court.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • jakelm
    edited February 2007
    LOL....Paranoia sets in...

Damn just like when I had a crack habbit.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2007
    jakelm wrote:
    Excuse the stupidity here, but what to you mean "in conjuction with"? I have always just used one program at a time. I never had to use 2 at one time.

As was said AnyDVD runs in the background and removes the copy protection, while it's doing that use CloneDVD2 to rip the movie to your hard-drive. When done you can use CloneDVD2 or any other DVD burning software to burn the ripped file to a disc.

As far as the movie "Saw2" is concerned I have heard that RipIt4Me has no problem with it, however I have no personal experience with that particular flick..it's just not my thing.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    In order to copy a DVD, you have to circumvent the copyright protection, thus violating the DMCA.

BINGO

Section 1201

Circumvention of copyright protection systems

(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that—
    (2A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title

(3) As used in this subsection—
    (3A) to “circumvent a technological measure” means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner

Some late night reading
    http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/
    http://www.eff.org/cafe/drmgame/copyright-faq.html
    http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/copyrightoffice/DMCA_rulemaking_broken.pdf
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/pressroom/releases/pressrelease.2005-11-21.2630834896
    http://www.eff.org/endangered/list.php
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2007
    Does anyone here feel that backing up their movies isn't any different than backing up their LP collections of years ago? The record industry nearly went apoplectic when home recording became popular and tried to get bills passed that would prevent the copying of LPs, the movie industry did the same thing when the VCR became common in most homes! Who can remember the movie industry claiming that it will be the end of people going to the theater? They said the same thing about movies playing on cable and when DVDs came out it was the same tired baloney all over again! In the mean time the movie industry is making record profits at the theater and with the sale of the "dreaded" DVDs!!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    Remember the "tape and crossbones" logo from a couple decades ago? Home taping is killing music... ;)

It's a long running issue that keeps escalating as new technology comes out.

It's stupid that it's illegal, however, the fear from record labels and movie studios is that as soon as it's legal to make copies - everyone will go out and make copies for all their friends. The sad part is that the illegal manufacturing will continue regardless. As seems to be the rule with most everything - a few bad eggs ruin it for everyone.
  • jakelm
    edited February 2007
    Well...to me its like if I bought an end table. Then went out and bought the same wood and used that end table I bought to help duplicate a new end table, and then have the furniture manufactures tell me, what I have just done was illeagal.

I can uderstand making it illeagal to distribute or sell my copies. But if my copy never leaves my home, who cares how many copies I have?

At first when this whole thing started, I thought the fight was about the profit that could be made on copies.

Now I see it doesnt matter profit or distribution.

But let me ask this: Is it illeagal for me to make a copy of a copy? In which the first copy I didnt buy anyway? And the code was cracked before, so I didnt break the law by breaking the code. :eek:

LOL. Maybe there is a loop hole in this.:p
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    I don't think anyone agrees that it is "right" that the laws are the way they are, or that it makes sense. The DMCA has come under a lot of fire from people who think ti basically tramples all over the entire idea of fair use.

That being said, it still is what it is. Just because you don't like or agree with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is illegal to copy a DVD for any reason. It even says it in the FBI warning - "The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work, even without financial gain, is illegal"
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.